Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, Crainy said:

If you adjust for inflation, Endgame hasnt even beaten Titanic yet. Your argument is void.

If you want to considere things like exchange rates and inflation, Endgame doesnt stand a chance of even hoping to reach Avatars gross. MUCH more people went to see Avatar than Endgame, even if Endgame could technically make more money in the end.

Of course, that doesnt diminish Endgames achievement (especially if it manages to take the crown from Avatar), but if you want to bring these kinds of analytics into the discussion, theres no doubt that Avatar was and always will be the bigger film. Infact Avatar and Titanic are the only movies of the last >30 years that would land a slot in the top 5 of highest grossing films adjusted for inflation.

I have no idea what you're responding to.  Evidently you've built up some narrative in your head about what you think I was saying, and are responding to that.  

My first statement is both factual and relavent.  The currency exchange rate makes an enormous difference in WW box office numbers.  It was far more favorable for Avatar than it is for Endgame.  If the exchange rates were equal, Endgame would not be struggling to beat Avatar's WW Box Office, it would be cruising past it.  The End.  

If somehow you extrapolate from that statement that I believe that Endgame's achievement is bigger than Avatar's, or that adjusting for exchange rate and nothing else is a fair way to compare movies, or whatever other nonsense you imagined I was saying, that's your baggage.  That's on you.  I didn't say that, and I didn't imply that.  I made a factual statement quantifying the impact of the exchange rate on two movies that are being compared to one another all over the place, and that's it.

The second part of my post is a prediction about the future direction of the strength of the dollar, and a prediction that Avatar 2's delay will wind up helping its WW Box Office as a result.  I think this is the potentially interesting part of my post, that I don't see people discussing when they are talking about WW numbers a year or two years or five years out.  It is impossible to know whether my prediction is correct, but I think it's reasonable, and I think it's relavent when you're projecting Avatar 2's Box Office.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Futurist said:

I thought the plan was to check if 2 & 3 were succesful enough to do 4 & 5.

Seems those plans have changed and  4 & 5 will happen no matter what ?

I thought the same Cameron said that in 2017, but I imagine plan changed.

According to producer Jon Landau in February 2019, Iger may have been misinterpreted. He said that Avatar 4 and 5″are not only [greenlit]″ but also a third of Avatar 4 has already been filmed

1 hour ago, andrewgr said:

I have no idea what you're responding to.  Evidently you've built up some narrative in your head about what you think I was saying, and are responding to that.  

My first statement is both factual and relavent.  The currency exchange rate makes an enormous difference in WW box office numbers.  It was far more favorable for Avatar than it is for Endgame.  If the exchange rates were equal, Endgame would not be struggling to beat Avatar's WW Box Office, it would be cruising past it.  The End.  

If somehow you extrapolate from that statement that I believe that Endgame's achievement is bigger than Avatar's, or that adjusting for exchange rate and nothing else is a fair way to compare movies, or whatever other nonsense you imagined I was saying, that's your baggage.  That's on you.  I didn't say that, and I didn't imply that.  I made a factual statement quantifying the impact of the exchange rate on two movies that are being compared to one another all over the place, and that's it.

The second part of my post is a prediction about the future direction of the strength of the dollar, and a prediction that Avatar 2's delay will wind up helping its WW Box Office as a result.  I think this is the potentially interesting part of my post, that I don't see people discussing when they are talking about WW numbers a year or two years or five years out.  It is impossible to know whether my prediction is correct, but I think it's reasonable, and I think it's relavent when you're projecting Avatar 2's Box Office.

First of all, you cant tell me that that a quote like "The exchange rate is the only reason EG isn't crushing Avatar's WW record beyond recognition." isnt an emotionally charged statement, so stop acting like you didnt have an agenda when you posted it. And that you seem to be personally attacking me for replying to a specific part your statement gives me the impression that your post was made in bad faith.

Second of all, I didnt have an agenda with my post. I merely recognized that it is disingenous and pointless (which it is) to bring up exchange rate differences when comparing EG and Avatar without considering other factors aswell.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

u

7 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Christmas break boosts every movie, so while there is competition, everything does well.

Not on the scale of Avatar and definitely no film other than a JC film can even hold the bootstraps of Titanics winter and beyond performance. Number1 for 16 weekends or something like that!

Edited by Sheldon Cr

6 hours ago, Crainy said:

If you adjust for inflation, Endgame hasnt even beaten Titanic yet. Your argument is void.

If you want to considere things like exchange rates and inflation, Endgame doesnt stand a chance of even hoping to reach Avatars gross. MUCH more people went to see Avatar than Endgame, even if Endgame could technically make more money in the end.

Of course, that doesnt diminish Endgames achievement (especially if it manages to take the crown from Avatar), but if you want to bring these kinds of analytics into the discussion, theres no doubt that Avatar was and always will be the bigger film. Infact Avatar and Titanic are the only movies of the last >30 years that would land a slot in the top 5 of highest grossing films adjusted for inflation.

Ticket prices have barely moved in many places. In UK it was cheaper for me than it was 2013, 6 years ago. Flat price in GBP and currency plummeted 20%

Cambridge England is considerably cheaper to live in than Tacoma WA. Good Lord that seems impossible but it's true. Seattle is more expensive than London 

Edited by cdsacken

Exchange rates, 3D, Imax, blah blah. All things that can be labled against or for any movie over the last 100 years. If China hadnt of had 10 times less screens than it does now, AVATAR would of made 800+mil and had a worldwide number than Endgame wouldnt get close to.

There are so many variables against every film through the years, its pathetic to try and twist thing to suit your fanboy needs.

• Like 5

Quick note of mega stars made or helped to stellar heights, thanks to JC

: Arnold, Stephan Lang, ,Bill Paxon, Sigourney, Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana.

The power of JC reaps rewards in so many ways for strugg

Ling actors and directors in so many ways.

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

Exchange rates, 3D, Imax, blah blah. All things that can be labled against or for any movie over the last 100 years. If China hadnt of had 10 times less screens than it does now, AVATAR would of made 800+mil and had a worldwide number than Endgame wouldnt get close to.

There are so many variables against every film through the years, its pathetic to try and twist thing to suit your fanboy needs.

Avatar is simply a far more successful film period. Endgame is a great movie but it won't remembered it wont be num 1 for 7-16 times. It never beat the competition by miles like Avatar. All these movies coming close to 1.5 to 2 billion now shows E.g. is not even in the same playing field. Heck eg may not even beat avatar with all its advantages.. Obviously its not big achievement if every other blockbuster is now hitting nearly 2 billion. Stop showing fb envy. The world is avatars playground. As A2 will destroy all these pretenders by 1.5-3billion or more gap. 

If there were no other 1billion to 2 billion dollar movies, then perhaps your statements could have held merit. Alas that is far from the case

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Sam Worthington

MEGA STAR ?

With all due respect, I can say for sure that either one of us must be tripping.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Huh?

Arnold was already well on his way to being an action star prior to working with Jim Cameron. He'd done two Conan movies, and I think Predator did more for his career than Terminator did. It is at least debatable.

Also, Bill Paxton was never a mega star. Twister was his zenith.

It's looking as though Endgame will only beat Avatar by 3-4%.

1 little re-release would put the lights out for Endgame.

I'm not optimistic though, Disney might just block it the pricks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Do a "director's cut" theatrical release. Boom done ezpz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FOUND IT!!!!!!

@Pure Spirit

@NCsoft

@JamesCameronScholar

@dashrendar44

@Sheldon Cr

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/11/james-cameron-titanic-20th-anniversary-avatar-terminator-fox-studios-sale

When Titanic hits theaters again in December, will you go see it?

Yeah, I want to see it in its entirety. I want to bring family and friends to see it in HDR. . . . Seeing a film that everybody knows, but seeing it in HDR in 3-D with proper light levels on a Dolby Vision laser projector—it’s really a glimpse of the future. . . . We had the whole film remastered in HDR, and it’s stunning. It’s beyond 70 millimeter, it’s beyond any format that you’ve seen before. What we’re trying to do is get Paramount and Fox to support the rollout of the Dolby Vision cinema project. It occurred to me, hey, we’ve got a movie that’s an evergreen that people love, why don’t we slam it into theaters and let people see it, not in a way it should be seen, but a way far beyond what any movie looks like right now, other than some new films are being authored in HDR? Obviously the [new] Avatar films will be [in Dolby Vision] as well, and in fact, we’re also going to do a conversion of Avatar to HDR. We’ll re-release that at some point down the line; I want to try to help this rollout of the Dolby cinemas, because I think it’s fantastic what they’re doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

That would take Endgame all the way to 2.87B to 2.9B, looks difficult as of right now.

Don't be surprised if it beat Avatar by just 1%, if even, if its trajectory doesn't stabilize, it does look like it will just squeak by Avatar by a very narrow margin, I'd rather see the record be broken by a significantly amount or not at all.

Chance of not passing Avatar may exist now, thinking of holding a personal curse session against EG. :ph34r:

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

we’re also going to do a conversion of Avatar to HDR. We’ll re-release that at some point down the line; I want to try to help this rollout of the Dolby cinemas, because I think it’s fantastic what they’re doing.

I hope this still happens, I do think Avatar 2 could benefit from being the sequel to the highest grossing film ever. 

Not that it's gonna to bad otherwise, but every dollar counts.

Now that A2 is being pushed another year, that actually makes next Dec a good time to re-release it, to drum up some more excitement for Avatar 2, next Dec is looking depressing as of right now, so might as well. If they want to do it this Dec, they can always use the "10 year anniversary" as the reason. 

• Like 3