Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

What a nonsensical, BS number. The youtube numbers are horrendous and it barely even registered on social media. 

YouTube numbers are great, they're just spread in a lot of channels.

The data is reasonable, there was members tracking the views here when the trailer dropped, it was very similar to what THR reports after 24 hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

What a nonsensical, BS number. The youtube numbers are horrendous and it barely even registered on social media. 

LOL. Avatar has 5.1M views for a language spoken by only 6% Indians i.e. Telugu. In total there 35M views on Indian channel alone.

The highest Telugu language view for a MCU film are 3.1M of Doctor Strange 2 and by the time Avatar release those views could be 8-10M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would reiterate at this point that the focus on presales, and especially Friday presales, will mean that people are going to underpredict this rerelease. Domestically, presales are excellent on Saturday and Sunday and even through early next week; we saw similar with the rerelease in China last year where there was significant backloading over the first weekend and across a large part of the run.

When you've got a movie like this with great presales throughout the weekend and the potential for significantly larger than usual walkups, Friday presales make up only a small part of the overall picture. 

2 hours ago, adaros said:

Is anybody taking RT scores seriously these days when even verified ratings can be mass bought bot spam action with 1/10 or 10/10 scores

thank you for bringing up 10/10 scores as mass bot spam like 1/10. I'm sick of pretense that thsoe are somehow genuine. 

21 hours ago, stuart360 said:

I'm just puzzled why only 2 weeks?, it seems likethis re-release would of helped getting people back in the 3D mood if it had been longer.

The two week thing works a couple different ways. 

One - it get's people in asap to see it, boosting the numbers. Then, if it's doing well, they extend it. 

Two - if it fails to catch fire, it will quietly leave in two weeks and that's it.  It didn't bomb, it was only out for two weeks after all! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, adaros said:

Is anybody taking RT scores seriously these days when even verified ratings can be mass bought bot spam action with 1/10 or 10/10 scores

I look at critic reviews only at this point, the "audience" numbers are sometimes very questionable. 

50 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Guys, the clip that I got in the end for Avatar 2 is insanely great! Better that what I got in the first 2 hours 40min. The level of detail and realism, created by CGI is unprecedented. 

So, it begins 😁

Edited by dignam

I just got back from seeing Avatar in IMAX 3D, it was my first time seeing it in this format and I'm still processing what I saw. The difference between this and 2D is substantial, no shortage of jaw dropping scenes and at times it felt like I was in the actual scene, you know the 3D is great when that happens (Gravity is another example). No point going over the story, we all know it and yes it's still extremely relevant, even more so in 2022. 

There's a slight twist to the ending involving Selfridge, Neytiri and Jake as he makes his way back to the ship. 

Spoiler

The scene from Way of Water at this showing involved the kids from both tribes swimming, including Kiri who I noticed is not quite like the other Sully kids in terms of a certain aquatic skill. A very cool & kind of sweet scene overall, it looked fantastic, more detailed/very smooth and realistic. 

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Deuce66 said:

I just got back from seeing Avatar in IMAX 3D, it was my first time seeing it in this format and I'm still processing what I saw. The difference between this and 2D is substantial, no shortage of jaw dropping scenes and at times it felt like I was in the actual scene, you know the 3D is great when that happens (Gravity is another example). No point going over the story, we all know it and yes it's still extremely relevant, even more so in 2022. 

There's a slight twist to the ending involving Selfridge, Neytiri and Jake as he makes his way back to the ship. 

The scene from Way of Water at this showing involved the kids from both tribes swimming, including Kiri who I noticed is not quite like the other Sully kids in terms of a certain aquatic skill. A very cool & kind of sweet scene overall, it looked fantastic, more detailed/very smooth and realistic. 

IT WAS AMAZING. Honestly If you haven't seen Avatar in 3D you haven't seen Avatar.

I got the Tulkan (Whale) scene not that one.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

IT WAS AMAZING. Honestly If you haven't seen Avatar in 3D you haven't seen Avatar.

I got the Tulkan (Whale) scene not that one.

There are plenty of dumb analogies I could throw out there (like driving a Honda Civic vs Formula 1). This movie deserves to be seen on the biggest/best screen possible in 3D for maximum impact. Everything else is a vastly different experience. 

Now I understand why everyone lost their **** when this came out in 2009, making almost $2.8B. 

• Like 1

So not only is DWD performing really well in my area, the Avatar re-release is actually out-selling DWD today for most theatres that are playing Avatar. Not sure about elsewhere, but I really think this has a shot at mid-teens. 

So many people I know are seeing it this weekend, I'm kind of jealous because I'm not able to.