Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

For me, the box office potential all depends on if the film once again captivates audiences technologically (as an immersive CGI experience) and in terms of story (with resonant, universal themes). The 13 years since the first film means that this has the potential to be another leap from a technological standpoint. In particular, I'm extremely curious about the ambitious underwater sequences - will this be something new that will blow audiences away, or what are we dealing with here?

And James Cameron has demonstrated that a real strength is his storytelling; his ability to create simple but resonant stories that speak to all kinds of people. Titanic and Avatar were the incredible box office behemoths that they were (and still are) because, on a fundamental level, they were grounded stories told on an epic scale. It remains to be seen if Cameron can make us care, again, about Pandora and its inhabitants/visitors.

My connection to the original was through Zoe Saldana as Neytiri (unfortunately, Sam Worthington as Jake just didn't do it for me). The return of Sigourney Weaver, and the addition of Kate Winslet and Michelle Yeoh, constitute a real strength for the sequel. The characters that I remember from Cameron's films are women. I really hope the film somehow centres around these women in a satisfying way.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

Taking a summary look back at the history of James Cameron directed movies and their domestic gross results. Not a bad track record, not bad at all.

1984- The Terminator - finished 21st with $38.7 m domestic - 1st was Beverly Hills Cop $234.76 m

1986- Aliens - finished 7th with $85.16 m domestic - 1st was Top Gun $176.78 m

1989- The Abyss - finished 24th with $54.22 m domestic - 1st was Batman $251.1 m

1991- Terminator 2 - finished 1st with $204.8 m domestic

1994- True Lies - finished 3rd with $146.2 m domestic - 1st was Forrest Gump with $329.7

1997- Titanic - finished 1st with $600.8 m domestic

2009- Avatar - finished 1st with $749.8 m domestic

2022- Avatar II (Title TBA) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Taking a summary look back at the history of James Cameron directed movies and their domestic gross results. Not a bad track record, not bad at all.

1984- The Terminator - finished 21st with $38.7 m domestic - 1st was Beverly Hills Cop $234.76 m

1986- Aliens - finished 7th with $85.16 m domestic - 1st was Top Gun $176.78 m

1989- The Abyss - finished 24th with $54.22 m domestic - 1st was Batman $251.1 m

1991- Terminator 2 - finished 1st with $204.8 m domestic

1994- True Lies - finished 3rd with $146.2 m domestic - 1st was Forrest Gump with $329.7

1997- Titanic - finished 1st with $600.8 m domestic

2009- Avatar - finished 1st with $749.8 m domestic

2022- Avatar II (Title TBA) 

My current prediction is #2 DOM behind Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. 

8 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:
  Hide contents

Hmm, I don’t know about that. A5 should bring the franchise to ~10B, whereas I think A5 will only get the franchise up to maybe 8-9B. 

Spoiler

Pulling this over here since the Mexico thread isn’t the place for it. You think the 4 Avatar films will only average $1.3-1.55B each? That would mean A5 doing something like 25% the admissions of A1.

• Like 1

I wouldn't place my verdict but it will be interesting to see if Avatar 2 went to make atleast 2x of what everyone is projection now (minus me). JC is full of surprises, so be careful, before any underestimating it's total. Rest of the truth will be reveal once pre-sales opens.

"The World will withness the biggest Global Opening, a start better than Avengers: Endgame."

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I wouldn't place my verdict but it will be interesting to see if Avatar 2 went to make atleast 2x of what everyone is projection now (minus me). JC is full of surprises, so be careful, before any underestimating it's total. Rest of the truth will be reveal once pre-sales opens.

"The World will withness the biggest Global Opening, a start better than Avengers: Endgame."

As a reminder, what is your projection?

1 minute ago, RiddlerXXR said:

A lot of people are projecting that. I thought yours was like 4B or something?

No issues regarding that ($4.000B+) but, sometimes it's better to be reserved. (Actually, isn't it great when a film earn more than your prediction, Yeah, I don't agree with totally low finals like $1.000B for a film potential of $3.000B+, while actuals is targeting more than $2.000B. However, a unpredictable high figure might make me disappoint if it even make 5% less than my prediction....) Are you bid for $1.5B WW or scoring $2.5B WW inside your mind?

18 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

No issues regarding that ($4.000B+) but, sometimes it's better to be reserved. (Actually, isn't it great when a film earn more than your prediction, Yeah, I don't agree with totally low finals like $1.000B for a film potential of $3.000B+, while actuals is targeting more than $2.000B. However, a unpredictable high figure might make me disappoint if it even make 5% less than my prediction....) Are you bid for $1.5B WW or scoring $2.5B WW inside your mind?

As of right now I’m at roughly $1.75B without China or $2.5B with China.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sure, maybe under 20%. The freakish success of the first just isn’t obvious franchise material to me in this day and age. Be interesting to see how it goes.

• Disbelief 1