Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

26 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

Moderation

@Lothar @JamesCameronScholar

Whether you’re serious or not (if you are, both of you simply need to get your priorities straight), we are not posting, encouraging, or promoting the commitment of suicide over a movie’s box office.

I have second post after that if are king enough to read please.

28 minutes ago, Cap said:

Hello. I got a message about scree rant. While it’s not the AP News it isn’t exactly a whack job site. Is there something I am missing? Otherwise, No one seems to be fighting, and no one seems to be calling each other names, so I don’t see an issue.

can you please check help desk.

7 hours ago, Lothar said:

This is Avatar we are talking about. The Re-release has proven otherwise

The first one took almost 10-12 years in making because of the technology and look what we have a pure masterpiece. Till 2022 December it will be 13 years and we all waited this long just because Jim didn't get what he wanted for A2 (The Technology) 

Many times it has been reported by Media but people tend to forget it easily these days about News reports.

Underwater effects have always been tricky to replicate in any form - even shooting in-camera has its limitations - let alone with motion-capture, leading to major updates needed. Cameron says he's "cracked the code" on Avatar's underwater sequences, suggesting why production has now moved ahead.

In 2009 it was impossible to think this movie will ever make 2.8 billions. So, 4 billion is just normal for A2 I'll not be surprised if this makes 5B.

not a chance in hell it sniffs 4B. 3.25B is super bull case

12 hours ago, cdsacken said:

not a chance in hell it sniffs 4B. 3.25B is super bull case

Coming from the guy who said it wouldn't even reach 2B a couple of years ago. By the time release date comes around and we're in full hype mode all the doubters will be saying they thought it was going to do 5 billies all along.

@IronJimbo I hope you kept that list to shame them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Coming from the guy who said it wouldn't even reach 2B a couple of years ago. By the time release date comes around and we're in full hype mode all the doubters will be saying they thought it was going to do 5 billies all along.

@IronJimbo I hope you kept that list to shame them.

huh? I think 2b or slightly less is very possible. Depends on reception. 3.25 is 99% rotten tomatoes with massive china release 

12 hours ago, cdsacken said:

huh? I think 2b or slightly less is very possible. Depends on reception. 3.25 is 99% rotten tomatoes with massive china release 

That first teaser or trailer will be so critical in setting the tone for its week #1 reception at the box office even more so than critic reviews imo although 90%+ on RT wouldn't hurt. Empire posted that one picture of Spider and look at the storm of negativity that launched in cesspools like Reddit. I think the shot was an obvious homage to Apocalypse Now (Capt. Benjamin Willard) in much the same way that Quaritch in Avatar shares a lot of similarities with Col. Bill Kilgore right down to the coffee cup scene while in flight. 

Anyhow I'm really looking forward to the roll out of Avatar II (title TBD), it will easily be the most fascinating movie story of 2022, I don't think anything else comes close.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

That first teaser or trailer will be so critical in setting the tone for its week #1 reception at the box office even more so than critic reviews imo although 90%+ on RT wouldn't hurt. Empire posted that one picture of Spider and look at the storm of negativity that launched in cesspools like Reddit. I think the shot was an obvious homage to Apocalypse Now (Capt. Benjamin Willard) in much the same way that Quaritch in Avatar shares a lot of similarities with Col. Bill Kilgore right down to the coffee cup scene while in flight. 

Anyhow I'm really looking forward to the roll out of Avatar II (title TBD), it will easily be the most fascinating movie story of 2022, I don't think anything else comes close.  

Reddit is fun, but so what?  I hadn't even heard of this "reaction," and all that matters for the box office is how many people come out opening weekend and beyond...in the real world (I guess we all are in some form of The Matrix...or Avatar?).  Yes, you understand the references clearly, and yes, I'm pretty sure many skeptics will be feeling some element of egg-on-their-faces when the next movie emerges.  

I need a trailer for this.

I'm also surprised Disney hasn't done something for this franchise on Disney+. I remember post acquisition Iger saying that in his opinion Avatar has as big and expanisve world as Star Wars, but the problem is we just had one movie out at that time. How would we think of Vader or Luke after just ANH?

Anyways, surprised Disney didn't order something like an animated TV show based on the Dark Horse comics or something like that. It seems easy enough to do, would get kids familiar with the world and it's all canon.

1 hour ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

I'm also surprised Disney hasn't done something for this franchise on Disney+. I remember post acquisition Iger saying that in his opinion Avatar has as big and expanisve world as Star Wars, but the problem is we just had one movie out at that time. How would we think of Vader or Luke after just ANH?

They can't. Cameron owns the IP. Disney just owns the distribution rights - in fact one of the DH comics was pulled for not meeting Cameron's standards AFTER it was complete.

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

They can't. Cameron owns the IP. Disney just owns the distribution rights - in fact one of the DH comics was pulled for not meeting Cameron's standards AFTER it was complete.

I've heard people make that claim quite a bit, but no one has been able to provide any proof. If you can provide proof then I'll happily take it. If you can't then I'll provide proof that Disney owns the IP and if you can debunk then I'll take that as well. Based on all research I've done Disney, through 20th Century Studios, owns the IP. I mean the comic books that you mentioned are ©2021 20th Century Studios. JAMES CAMERON'S AVATAR is a trademark of 20th Century Studios. All Rights Reserved. There's no mention of Lightstorm or James Cameron owning the TM or Copyright. Compare that to JK Rowling and Wizarding World where she clearly owns the publishing rights for the IP. TM & © WBEI. WIZARDING WORLD Publishing and Theatrical Stage Rights © J.K. Rowling.

Conjecture on my part, but Cameron does seem to have creative control over the IP while not having ownership. It may have been a condition for Lightstorm to transfer all the rights to the IP to Fox in 2005. And because Lightstorm, a company, transferred the rights to the IP and not James Cameron, a living person, then Section 203 of the copyright law does not apply and Cameron cannot regain the rights 35 years later like he regained the Terminator rights.

Edited by AnotherDayAnotherDollar

I'm sure JC still has enough creative control where he has significant input in what ancillaries are produced. I can see him feeling like they'd risk "diluting the brand" or something like that. In any event I wouldn't expect much until the promotional tour really shifts into high gear.

55 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I'm sure JC still has enough creative control where he has significant input in what ancillaries are produced. I can see him feeling like they'd risk "diluting the brand" or something like that. In any event I wouldn't expect much until the promotional tour really shifts into high gear.

Yes, I am sure he has creative control. Still a missed opportunity on both Disney and Cameron to not have a cartoon adaptation of the comics, raising Avatar awareness to kids who maybe never saw the first movie and more content for Disney+

He's probably like Kevin Feige with possibly a bit more control over the franchise and Disney wouldn't do anything without Cameron's blessing. Doesn't mean he owns it though. All evidence points to 20th Century Studios being the IP owner of the Avatar franchise. Which makes sense when you think about it. Fox and Murdoch were pissed that they let the Star Wars IP slip away, even selling the merch back to Lucas in exchange to be able to distribute the sequels. They weren't gonna let that happen again.