Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Problem is that there are gonna be SO MANY people like me that just can't tell a difference.  Like if I zoom in and look at small details I *think* I see it, but it's a coinflip.  

But I have terrible eyes, so who knows?

made this one for you with zooom :)
prores left,  youtube right

4.png

Edited by adaros
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dignam said:

Exactly, also this were only 2:28min of a 3hour movie. Amazing that some people can judge a whole movie by just seeing 1,3% of it.

The literal reason why trailers exist are to be judged. They are designed as marketing materials that makes you say "that looks good" or "that looks bad". Of course we will judge how a trailer makes a movie look, because that's what they are designed to do. And key word is "looks". Nobody is making a definitive statement that the film will be good or terrible, but how it appears at this point in time from what we are given.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just noticed something at exactly 2:00min,

Spoiler

when the dots on kiris body starts to glow and she makes a kamehameha. I think she has a special ability and is some how connected to eywa and has control over the animals or maybe the water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Problem is that there are gonna be SO MANY people like me that just can't tell a difference.  Like if I zoom in and look at small details I *think* I see it, but it's a coinflip.  

But I have terrible eyes, so who knows?

I was legit gonna come and post the corporate says to find the difference / they are the same picture meme.

The other problem is that people are watching the video on YouTube. So it doesn’t really matter what the 4K theatrical version looks like, because they’re only seen the 1080k version.

I also don’t think the picture quality is the main issue here. General consensus from what I gather is it looks gorgeous. I personally think the underwater shots are amazing. 

My concern right now would be awareness and reactions. 

before for people jump on me, my “concern” is basically like the difference between this making $200 million on opening weekend and like $150 million on opening weekend DOM. I don’t think it’s gonna bomb. I think it’s gonna make money. I just don’t know if it’s going to make crazy opening weekend money considering there’s not really like a hook, and there’s no spoiler factor, and there’s a nice long two week vacation at Holiday. This movie to me feels like it’s gonna be really based in really back ended. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Carey said:

The literal reason why trailers exist are to be judged. They are designed as marketing materials that makes you say "that looks good" or "that looks bad". Of course we will judge how a trailer makes a movie look, because that's what they are designed to do. And key word is "looks". Nobody is making a definitive statement that the film will be good or terrible, but how it appears at this point in time from what we are given.

Sure, but when you use the word "exact" you are making a definitiv statement. There is a difference between "it looks like the first movie" or "it looks like exact the same movie".

9 minutes ago, Cap said:

I was legit gonna come and post that they’re the corporate says to find the difference / they are the picture meme.

The other problem is that people are watching the video on YouTube. So it doesn’t really matter what the 4K theatrical version looks like, because they’re only seen the 1080k version.

I also don’t think the picture quality is the main issue here. General consensus from what I gather is it looks gorgeous. I personally think the underwater shots are amazing. 

my concern right now would be awareness and reactions. 

I also should know, but for people jump on me, that my “concern “is basically like the difference between this making $200 million on opening weekend and like $150 million on opening weekend DOM. I don’t think it’s gonna bomb. I think it’s gonna make money. I just don’t know if it’s going to make crazy opening weekend money considering there’s not really like a hook, and there’s no spoiler factor, and there’s a nice long two week vacation at Christmas, this movie to me feels like it’s gonna be really like based in really back ended. 

I think people expecting a $200+ million OW are getting a bit carried away. A $150 million OW with strong legs should be pretty good. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Would 150 really be "pretty good" though? Original avatar adjusts to like 115 IIRC and probably would've opened slightly higher if it wasnt for the weather as well. If something like JW managed to open to 208M 150 just seems mediocre to me.

That's kinda why JW has been the one I've been thinking of lately. That was 14 years after the previous installment, much more of a GA franchise than a die hard fanboy franchise, lots of parallels. 200m OW definitely in range for sure if the marketing hits. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

The worry for me is does Cameron pull a jj abrams and do the same story as avatar 1 but bigger.. Or does he hopefully have some tricks up his sleeve

After 25 years people should have learned one thing, never ever underestimate james cameron. I mean back in 1997 people underestimated him, big mistake, the same happend in 2009. And now people are doing it again.

29 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

The worry for me is does Cameron pull a jj abrams and do the same story as avatar 1 but bigger.. Or does he hopefully have some tricks up his sleeve

Cameron wouldn't be saying things like like "I guarantee you, you won’t be able to predict it. What people hate the most is to go and see a movie and say ‘oh… predictable.’ This is not predictable, I don’t think. I defy anybody to predict where this story goes." or have spent around 5 years writing the stories and scripts for the entire saga if Avatar 2 was simply a retread of the first movie.

Even outside of that, you need only the most cursory knowledge of James Cameron and his filmography to know that Avatar 2's plot isn't merely going to be a repeat. I mean, it's the worst thing you could possibly do: you're creating a sequel to a movie whose primary criticism (of which Cameron is acutely aware) is its unoriginal story, and then you make a sequel which is the same plot again. How stupid do people take Cameron to be?

Edited by hw64
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Lul, Abrams is a hack, something I'd never call Cameron even if he's decided to play with his blue furries until retirement.  Terminator 2 and Aliens more or less have the same story and structure as they're predecessors, but they're made with gusto and purpose.  They expand the universes they're in and have the added family themes he likes so much.  Abrams just remakes better movies without bringing any artistic value of his own to them because that actually requires vision and talent.

I may be late to the party on this dude, but I've never fully appreciated what a detriment to Hollywood Abrams and all his alumni really are until this year.  They need to be cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came.

Bottom line: I'll easily take Cameron's goofy blue space furries over Abrams every time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dignam said:

After 25 years people should have learned one thing, never ever underestimate james cameron. I mean back in 1997 people underestimated him, big mistake, the same happend in 2009. And now people are doing it again.

There's no need to on the defensive, they raised a valid concern. Hero worship just leads this thread to go in circles

• Like 4

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Like I said, I think this will be the first James Cameron movie to dissapoint at BO expectations wise. Just not feeling it. I thought the teaser did well in China, but trailer kinda flopped. Maybe fans are overestimating the appeal. Lot has changed since 2009.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Like I said, I think this will be the first James Cameron movie to dissapoint at BO expectations wise. Just not feeling it. I thought the teaser did well in China, but trailer kinda flopped. Maybe fans are overestimating the appeal. Lot has changed since 2009.

A movie bigger and better than everything else will always have appeal

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1