Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Social embargo reactions are getting less and less reliable as full representations of average critic scores.

pretty sure the mean score is in the 80s, its just that theres a good amount of 40-20's

1 minute ago, danziger said:

A big majority of the reviews I've seen say TWOW is better than the first Avatar, yet it's getting markedly lower ratings, indicating it's being graded on a much tougher curve for some reason.

It definitely is, I think part of it is because it's so unique and its own thing, that it lacks a proper comparison among other blockbusters these days. Either you're charmed by Avatar, or you're alienated by it, and reviews kind of reflect that level of divisiveness, interestingly, currently where it stands is not too far off from Dune's MTC and RT.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If the first Avatar was re-reviewed by the critics who landed it that 82% in 2009, it would not be sitting at 82% now.

I think that depends on if they actually rewatched it. I've seen many people revise their opinion upward after seeing it recently. Grace Randolph, for instance, hated Avatar but then said she enjoyed it after seeing the re-release.