Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

So even 2B seems tough

Ig James Cameron should have focused on this the way he is focusing on Part 4.

People needed something bonkers in story this time not at Part 4.

Yeah...i think indian audience won't be kind to this if it has too much boring drama and family stuff and not enough action / whiz bang / explosions.

Let's see. The run time will hurt it. JC should have listened to the fox executive and shaved 30 mins of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Yeah...i think indian audience won't be kind to this if it has too much boring drama and family stuff and not enough action / whiz bang / explosions.

Let's see. The run time will hurt it. JC should have listened to the fox executive and shaved 30 mins of it.

Disney is having this runtime problem a lot these days

Either it's too long or too short. 

47 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Midnight screening for a movie this length. Wow. I wouldnt do that for even my favorite franchises.

25 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

wuss

Back in the day I did the FOTR EE (3.5 hr) + TTT EE (3.75 hr) + ROTK (3.3 hr) Midnight Screening "Trilogy Tuesday".

THAT was an event!!!

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

A bunch of folks I know who have watched it, say it is visually nice and all, but not enough to keep you engaged for 3 hours. This really needed an editor who knows about pace.

honestly speaking, I don't believe you

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Imagine if the reviews were actually bad what carnage BOF would have been.

I always have my fingers crossed for an RT meltdown and it would have been great for this, but it was always a long shot. Cameron’s too good at what he does. 

3 hours ago, stuart360 said:

I still dont know what negative comments Cameron said about Marvel but it was a bit silly by Jim to say whatever he said right before his new film is about to release.🙄

Marvel has nothing to do with this. I suspect it’s more about Cameron’s comments about “toxic masculinity” and “is the movie too woke”. That is what I was seeing on Twitter. 

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

If i call out their names, mr mod will cancel me. Such is the way of BOF.

hey, maybe if you weren’t trying to rile people up, you wouldn’t constantly get warned. You are teetering very, very close.

Re the run time:

and 2 1/2 hour, and even three hour movies, have become more common domestically, and the past five years. They are not a deterrent.

That said, they do create their own set of issues and releasing a three hour movie in December just exasperate the issues. I have shopping, decorating, parties, etc. scheduling a three hour movie might take a little bit of time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

A bunch of folks I know who have watched it, say it is visually nice and all, but not enough to keep you engaged for 3 hours. This really needed an editor who knows about pace.

A friend of mine saw it last night and told me it feels like a 1.5 hours movie with a spectacular pace…

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

If I was an avatar fan who put any stock in RT I’d have absolutely taken these reviews a year ago. The critical backlash potential was massive, and it hasn’t happened. 

Yeah, that's clear from how critics are saying TWOW is way better than Avatar, yet it's cratered on MC compared to Avatar and based on usual trends will probably fall below it on RT as well. No movie has been more creatively pummeled over the last decade than Avatar. Yes, tons of movies get far worse reviews, but they are quickly forgotten. Avatar we're constantly told year after year day after day that "no one cares about Avatar, it sucks, no one wants these sequels." So you're right that the potential for the sequel to get trashed by critics was huge.