Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Apparently they already do hold more stake in the franchise.

Right, I forgot about that.

Either way, I really do hope Disney doesnt buy Fox. More studios is better and besides, Fox is becoming the most underrated studio in the world. 

42 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm hoping for some great visuals, imagery, and even some superb action sequences with that "tech" stuff. Sounds super-promising anyway.

Namor comes to mind, but the rights are in endless loop with Universal, who refuse to give them up, despite doing nothing with the character. 

I have googled it and read that Namor's filming rights are back to Disney/Marvel since 2016. 

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Right, I forgot about that.

Either way, I really do hope Disney doesnt buy Fox. More studios is better and besides, Fox is becoming the most underrated studio in the world. 

That's exactly the reason why Disney should buy Fox now, when Fox is at a low creative/business moment, when you can buy "cheap". And also because Disney is mostly interested in getting Fox's filmic archive for their upcoming streaming service in 2019. Not to mention Avatar, X-Men and full StarWars franchise rights (Ep I to VI). 

6 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I have googled it and read that Namor's filming rights are back to Disney/Marvel since 2016. 

Just looked it up as well, and yep Marvel finally has the rights back mostly. They haven't gotten a film rolling yet. If anything it wouldn't surprise me if they debuted Namor in a TV show or after phase 3, first as a supporting character.

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I'm just gonna say the thought of kids having learned to stay 3-4 minutes underwater really unnerves me and I hope that filming goes perfectly smooth.

The underwater tech should keep them safe, but knowing Cameron, he'll probably go overboard like he did in The Abyss. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I'm just gonna say the thought of kids having learned to stay 3-4 minutes underwater really unnerves me and I hope that filming goes perfectly smooth.

Yep, totally agreed. I know "Trust in Cameron" is the bromide of choice, but he damn well better know what he's doing here.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Insurance costs being what they are in 2017, I'm positive that every precaution is being taken to ensure the safety of everyone working in the tank. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deuce66 said:

Insurance costs being what they are in 2017, I'm positive that every precaution is being taken to ensure the safety of everyone working in the tank. 

I'm sure that they have a ton of precautions in place. Being someone who can't swim, it freaks me out somehow.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Like @CoolioD1 said in one of the thirty JL threads that's how you know theyre going all-out with the underwater stuff here

Just now, The Futurist said:

You re all talking out of your ass, like yeah, shooting for 6 months,12 hours a day scuba dive scenes for The Abyss was done gonzo style without safety measures whatsoever.

Sure.

Not enough to keep Ed Harris from punching Cameron, apparently. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You re all talking out of your ass, like yeah, shooting for 6 months,12 hours a day scuba dive scenes for The Abyss was done gonzo style without safety measures whatsoever.

Sure.

I implied no such thing. That doesn't mean there is no risk.

Edited by MrPink

56 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Cameron has spent half his life under the sea.

I guess he s going for the stasis, lack of gravity you feel when you scuba dive, he wants the audience to feel what it s like to be one with the sea when you watch the movie, to connect with mother! like we did in the womb of our mothers.

It s crazy these movies have taken so long because of this exact Cameron wish/demand : underwater mo-cap or bust.

Each time there was an interview about those films, the R&D argument to find a way to do under water mo-cap was mentionned.

Cameron movies always have a never seen before aspect top them, that s what excites him in the morning, doing something deemed impossible and never been done before him.

Let s see what the crazy canuck has in store this time.

I'm looking forward to seeing the creatures and I have to wonder how the Na'vi deal with the water version of a Thanator, we might see a few humans get munched up for lunch.....

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Not enough to keep Ed Harris from punching Cameron, apparently. 

dude had to act in a helmet full of water for long stretches of that flick. there's no health and safety precaution that makes that not fucking insane.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1