egoplant

What one movie got you into watching movies?

Well, there are people who watch movies and enjoy them casually.Then there are people who watch movies, love them, study them, talk about them all the time, watch mostly nothing but movies (regular TV...hmph!), and post on box office forums.I'm guessing the OP imagines most people here are more than casual movie fans.

The impression I get from this board is that most people are into big films and occasionally dabble in smaller fare, but few are what i would consider serious film fans. (And no, I don't consider myself one either. I like what I like but my knowledge on, say, European and Asian indie cinema is limited to say the least.)

Disney and Pixar. Pixar made a movie every 2-3 years, so 90s Disney picked up the slack considerably. That's really why I love animation. I started paying attention to live action movies more when I started reading Entertainment Weekly in 2001.

The impression I get from this board is that most people are into big films and occasionally dabble in smaller fare, but few are what i would consider serious film fans. (And no, I don't consider myself one either. I like what I like but my knowledge on, say, European and Asian indie cinema is limited to say the least.)

Just because one isn't well versed in indie foreign films doesn't mean that they aren't serious film fans.

Just because one isn't well versed in indie foreign films doesn't mean that they aren't serious film fans.

Serious film fan to me = someone who has a great appetite for all forms of the medium. So not being into smaller and/or foreign films (which make a up a big % of all films made anyway) would negate that description IMO.

• Founder / Operator

A serious film fan is one who acknowledges, is informed in, and respects all forms of the medium. It doesn't mean they have to actually enjoy every one of them on a personal level. That's the line between being a film fan and an elitist, IMHO.

• Like 2

I always loved movies, Probably Star wars was what really got me into movies, I don't think any other movie will ever have an effect on my life like Star wars did. but when I was really little I loved Disney Cartoons (lion king and Beauty and the beast were my favorite)

Home Alone! Well it was a childhood classic :DBut before I rarely watch movies in actual theaters (except for local movies my mother drags me along when I was young), always on VHS/VCD/DVD through rentals and before 2011 the average of movies I see in the theaters is 2. Athough since Titanic came along I've always been interested with box office records and the Oscar awards. But last year I got a gig on writing movie reviews for a local website and I was able to attend press screenings and my love for watching movies in the big screen was renewed. And well I also went through a rough period at work that time and watching movies before going home was my escape and well it became a habit :)

First movie...PocahontasFirst movie in theaters.......Snow Day (A Nickelodeon film it had Josh Peck and I believe Chevy Chase was in it) I only went to the theater every once in a while till I got a job then when I started to get a weekly paycheck I was at the theater almost every week.

The Empire Strikes Back.Back in 1988, when the original, uncorrupted VHS came out for the 10 year special, me and my family went to the video store. At that point in my life, I probably only saw five non-Disney movies (E.T., Return of the Jedi, Back to the Futrue, Crocodile Dundee, Ghostbusters - and all were at the theater). So, when I wondered to the Action section, being only like 3ft, 4in, my eyes were aligned with the "S" section. I picked up, Empire and begged, repeatedly for my parents to rent it. They refused, saying that I wasn't old enough, but they did get Star Wars instead. We watched it and afterwards, I was hooked, I had to see Empire, so, again, after repeatedly begging and crying and throwing the greatest tempertantrum a 7-year old could, my Dad relented and we went out to get Empire and Jedi. Needless to say, from that point on, I was forever hooked on movies.

• Like 1

The film that got me into film was JAWS 2 surprisingly. I saw it before JAWS. It was terrifying. I was about 7 when i saw it. From there i discovered SW, Rocky, Rambo and horror, lots of horror at a very young age. Halloween scared the absolute shit out of me.