egoplant

What one movie got you into watching movies?

It wasn't a movie as much as working at a movie theater. I was able to see any movie I wanted in theaters without worrying about the cost of a ticket, and I found myself more open to dramas than I had been before.

I don't actually remember a tipping point, i've always been watching movies, be it the Saw movies now or the old Disney VHS tapes that my dad used to buy on the US army camps in Germany when I lived there as a toddler. A trip to the cinema gets me just as excited now as it did back when I went to see movies like Space Jam.

Star Wars Episode 1 : The Phantom MenaceI think my dad showed it to me when I was 10 or 11, before that I really wasn't into movies, more like cartoon TV shows or Lion king.Before The Phantom Menace I would refuse to watch any movie that wasnt a cartoon.Yes you read correctly. At this point I don't even care what people think of it, I myself know its flawed but to my 11 year old self this movie was a unimaginable experience. The movie had some magic, the worlds it introduced, the lore of the Jedi, the lightsabers, the droids, the music, the pod race, naboo's beauty, the planet core, the gungan city, the magnificence of coruscant, darth maul and the hooded mans mystery, cool jedi temple, weird floaty senate thingy, space battles, double bladed lightsaber duel, death of a character I liked, good triumphing against all odds at the end....seeing all that for the first time ever in a movie was astounding and a lot to take in.It explored a wide variety of emotions, a wide variety of locales and as a kid it showed me that a movie didn't need to be in cartoon form to have wonderfully crafted worlds, locales and to be fun. The movie really sold me on live action hollywood films.Of course now my opinion of the movie is nowhere near as high as it was as a kid when it felt like first love. That same person I loved looks wrinkled now and I can see holes in their personality that weren't visible then. But I still believe TPM is a great entertainer and hope I can go into theatres in Feb 2012 as a 11 year old again.While TPM literally got me into being able to watch movies that weren't cartoon based I still stayed away from the art house oscary type films. Last year there came a film that really got me into those however, and it was Black Swan. This was the first time that a movie made me look at each scene in ten different ways, it was the first time I analyzed a movie so closely for hidden meanings and appreciated it as an art form.

• Like 1

Well, Indiana Jones and the Temple of DOom was the movie I used to watch everyday when I was a kid.But the movie that made me go...whoa, filmmaking...amazing...and really turned me into a movie nut...was Aliens. Funny because it was the second time watching that movie that did it for me...I saw it when I was like 7...scared the hell out of me. But it didn't really impact me past that. Then I saw it again when I was 13, and it was like a totally new movie...man, that experience blew me away. ABout then is when I said...god, I want to make movies.Stil haven't gotten around to doing that though, heh.

There wouldn't have been one. Movies are so prevelant these days it'd be far more weird not to be 'into' them.

Well, there are people who watch movies and enjoy them casually.Then there are people who watch movies, love them, study them, talk about them all the time, watch mostly nothing but movies (regular TV...hmph!), and post on box office forums. I'm guessing the OP imagines most people here are more than casual movie fans.

E.T

Same here. First movie I saw in the theaters. First non Hollywood movie I watched was Run Lola Run, and it opened me to a new world outside of the Hollywood bubble. Granted, it was the Hollywood movie, The Bourne Idenity that turned me onto the little indie. I loved Frnak Potente in that movie, and wanted to check out her other roles.