grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

42 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Grace Randolph seems to be hintiing the movie's themes and ideologies are extremely political and if we thought Disney vs Conservatives was badI I personally think it's hilarious), Mattel seems to want to fight conservatives as well.

I mean I'm all for fighting bigotry so maybe this movie is a middle finger to conservative beliefs. If it bombs I'm sure the idiots are gonna be like "THis iS WHaT HaPPEns WHeN YOu gO WOAk!"

It’s a Barbie movie directed by Greta Gerwig, so it was always a safe bet that some feminist themes would be present. 

35 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

This is way too big to be last minute. Mattel fucking hated that song.

I bet WB tested ads/trailers with and without "Barbie Girl", and the sample audiences responded much more positively to material with the song. If Mattel could be convinced that song adds awareness and will boost the opening weekend... And the original song is over 25 years old now, maybe the haters in the C-suite moved on.

So, how does Barbie being "real" even work in this movie universe? You have Mattel execs chasing them down. Is the company taking real living dolls from their hidden secret country and doing a Downsizing on them, or...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

You're soo boring lol

this trailer is just fun, really plot interesting and emotional too. It's perfect. It's gonna make a tons of money.

are we talking about oscars or box office? I'm reading "plot seems like encanthed type i was expecting more"...yeah that's why it's gonna make money lol 

As I said in the Little Mermaid thread this is definitely going to underperform. Apparently the studio was not happy at all about feedback and was reshooting with Margot as of April

https://hollywoodlife.com/2023/04/17/margot-robbie-cowboy-barbie-reshoots-photos/

Three months ahead of the 'Barbie' movie premiere, Margot Robbie was spotted in full costume while reshooting scenes in Los Angeles on Apr. 17.

i posted a blind item from an industry insider last month about audiences at advanced screenings thinking the film was a woke disaster and couldn’t figure out if it was a sarcastic comedy or a drama. 

The studio did a great job with the first two trailers but I think it’s hilarious the top rated comment on YouTube for the new trailer says. 

4tdao 1 h ago

This actually looks insanely more self-aware than I expected. I hope they treat this premise as tounge-in-cheek as possible, it's the only way it can be done right IMO

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, joselowe said:

As I said in the Little Mermaid thread this is definitely going to underperform. Apparently the studio was not happy at all about feedback and was reshooting with Margot as of April

https://hollywoodlife.com/2023/04/17/margot-robbie-cowboy-barbie-reshoots-photos/

Three months ahead of the 'Barbie' movie premiere, Margot Robbie was spotted in full costume while reshooting scenes in Los Angeles on Apr. 17.

i posted a blind item from an industry insider last month about audiences at advanced screenings thinking the film was a woke disaster and couldn’t figure out if it was a sarcastic comedy or a drama. 

The studio did a great job with the first two trailers but I think it’s hilarious the top rated comment on YouTube for the new trailer says. 

4tdao 1 h ago

This actually looks insanely more self-aware than I expected. I hope they treat this premise as tounge-in-cheek as possible, it's the only way it can be done right IMO

Interesting. I was dubious about reports that it's brilliant and amazing. The same was said about Babylon and we saw what happened there. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, joselowe said:

4tdao 1 h ago

not humas in real life say things like "this movie is a woke disaster" to comment a movie. The fact this is how the news you read sell the movie seems a really biased (and even false) news.

We have also several news about positive reactions at the screenings. 

also nothin wrong about reshooting, they can happen all the time. Margot basically made 2 days of reshooting alone. Why are you acting like all the cast come back for 2 months of reshooting?. 

Edited by vale9001

The movie is produced by Margot company, the reshoots was pretty short and Warner didn’t force it because they’re not producing the movie alone 

Just yesterday Margot was saying how she manage to get creative freedom for Greta because of this

Some of you really should stop paying attention in any report that includes the word woke.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I’m mostly just confused as to who the audience is for this. The fact that the trailer says it’s both for people who love or hate Barbie adds to that confusion. 

As far as I can tell, they seem to be going for a Lego Movie vibe here.

...wtf did I just watch?

This has to be the most original and creative major project greenlit in forever. I respect the hell out of WB for actually making this even if I have no interest in seeing it. 

15 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

not humas in real life say things like "this movie is a woke disaster" to comment a movie. The fact this is how the news you read sell the movie seems a really biased (and even false) news.

We have also several news about positive reactions at the screenings. 

also nothin wrong about reshooting, they can happen all the time. Margot basically made 2 days of reshooting alone. Why are you acting like all the cast come back for 2 months of reshooting?. 

If the reaction was REALLY that positive why reshoot AFTER those “positive reactions” came out? 

as someone that used to work in the television industry in programming, reshoots are expensive and never a good thing. 

Filmmaking is a complicated process. Sometimes, movies have to undergo a severe bout of reshoots mere weeks before their debut in cinemas, which has led to some films being radically altered just in time for their release. 

While these reshoots are mostly minor adjustments that hardly influence the film’s plot or their characters, some other films have to go through more than a few adjustments to ensure a box-office success — with mixed results.”

https://www.fortressofsolitude.co.za/12-famous-movies-that-underwent-extensive-reshoots/

Re-recording audio (ADR)last minute isn’t an issue and that’s acceptable, many times there are audio issues when filing scenes but reshooting a scene means something completely different.

Edited by joselowe

I am not going to even attempt to make a prediction for this one, but who is confused by who the audience for this might be? It's clearly a high concept comedy aimed at teens and adults.

• Like 1

Where the crawdads sing has the highest female turnup % at 74% last summer. I guess Barbie will hit that mark with bigger gross. If WB play the game right and the movie is at least decent, Barbie could be the biggest cinematic event for female in post-pandemic era. 

Just now, joselowe said:

If the reaction was REALLY that positive why reshoot AFTER those “positive reactions” came out? 

as someone that used to work in the television industry in programming, reshoots are expensive and never a good thing.

Are we sure those were reshoots and not just promo material they filmed ahead of the strike shutting a lot of promo work down? That stuff tends to be filmed well in advance too.

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

As far as I can tell, they seem to be going for a Lego Movie vibe here.

I’m getting more Truman Show vibes personally. Lego Movie’s trailers made it clear that they’re going for kids/families and the movie delivered on that, it just also managed to be done in a way that anyone could enjoy it.

My best guess is that they’re trying to go for adults who are nostalgic for Barbie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joselowe said:

I really get fed up with this. Every film is budgeted for reshoots and they happen for a million reasons. It can have positive reactions but there are certain elements the audience responded to that they want to focus on. Reshoots are expensive and are already planned in development.

I don't really trust preview claims anyway as its easy to create rumours/control your audience to generate some hype.

Just now, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I’m getting more Truman Show vibes personally. Lego Movie’s trailers made it clear that they’re going for kids/families and the movie delivered on that, it just also managed to be done in a way that anyone could enjoy it.

My best guess is that they’re trying to go for adults who are nostalgic for Barbie.

Truman Show was absolutely the comparison I felt too. That was maybe a bit darker of a comedy though.

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Its ratings interest me. The trailer has Barbie getting assaulted - its clearly not a family film but also their keeping the Barbie aesthetic and so theres no language that suggests a more mature film. I do wonder if their holding things back for the trailers - Farrells character might also be a doll? So the real world is maybe a bit rougher?

Its a really difficult one to market clearly. I think the best WB can hope for is a decent box office and a cult hit which brings the home audience money.