grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

9 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Same for the Wall Street Journal. They're both right-wing rags peddling Rupert Murdoch's worldview (and Kyle Smith is a notably conservative critic who previously wrote for, yes, the Post). Both papers panning the movie is entirely on brand.

Yeah without those would be a good 84 as It's on rotten. It's the price when you make something with a message and a voice and not something tries to be apolitical and right for averyone. 

Anyway for me what counts more Is too see the specifically cinema magazines being very positive. 

Edited by vale9001

18 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Same for the Wall Street Journal. They're both right-wing rags peddling Rupert Murdoch's worldview (and Kyle Smith is a notably conservative critic who previously wrote for, yes, the Post). Both papers panning the movie is entirely on brand.

WSJ might have some RW bias but I wouldn't equate them with NYPost which is just pure trash and utter garbage.

• Like 1

Robbie is probably the most shocked with all of this. I bet she thought Harley Quinn seemed like this “cool/trendy” role that would bring her the big mainstream popularity, while likely scoffing at the initial thought of playing Barbie. I think she even said something about having loved the script when she read it, but also dismissing it as not having any chance of actually getting made. 

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Robbie is probably the most shocked with all of this. I bet she thought Harley Quinn seemed like this “cool/trendy” role that would bring her the big mainstream popularity, while likely scoffing at the initial thought of playing Barbie. I think she even said something about having loved the script when she read it, but also dismissing it as not having any chance of actually getting made. 

Guess it depends on what you mean by "mainstream popularity." People have known who she is since Suicide Squad. That just doesn't always translate to box office draw on her name alone. 

3 minutes ago, Driver said:

Guess it depends on what you mean by "mainstream popularity." People have known who she is since Suicide Squad. That just doesn't always translate to box office draw on her name alone. 

She has been known, but I’d argue she’s never really had that A list breakout many have expected for a solid decade. The Quinn role ended up overall being a pretty huge commercial dud for her considering how much she seemed to hitch to that wagon. 

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

wtf?

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Deep Wang said:

wtf?

Barbie has had a lot of negative stereotypes associated with it that this movie is apparently all about breaking, not to mention she probably thought it was just gonna be some dumb toy ad at first. Or irritated that she was just getting typecast as the “pretty blonde” etc. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Barbie has had a lot of negative stereotypes associated with it that this movie is apparently all about breaking, not to mention she probably thought it was just gonna be some dumb toy ad at first. Or irritated that she was just getting typecast as the “pretty blonde” etc. 

What are you basing this on?

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

What are you basing this on?

The overall reputation of Barbie brand having not been so great at points in recent years. It’s the same reason I think so many were being so stubborn and bullish for so long to see the signs this was gonna be huge. There’s a reason the marketing has literally used the slogan about how if you love or hate barbie, this movie is for you… 

Also that she said she loved the script when she read it but didn’t think it would actually get made, which makes me think the script really caught her off guard.

Edited by MovieMan89

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

She has been known, but I’d argue she’s never really had that A list breakout many have expected for a solid decade. The Quinn role ended up overall being a pretty huge commercial dud for her considering how much she seemed to hitch to that wagon. 

Suicide Squad was a big hit. Unless you mean because the movie sucked. 

Just now, Driver said:

Suicide Squad was a big hit. Unless you mean because the movie sucked. 

It did not sell on her though, as discussed recently. That marketing campaign was all about Joker. Smith to a lesser extent maybe, though his star was not the brightest at the time. It was very apparent how much she wasn’t a big draw there when they put her front and center in two subsequent commercial bombs… 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The overall reputation of Barbie brand having not been so great at points in recent years. It’s the same reason I think so many were being so stubborn and bullish for so long to see the signs this was gonna be huge. There’s a reason the marketing has literally used the slogan about how if you love or hate barbie, this movie is for you… 

Also that she said she loved the script when she read it but didn’t think it would actually get made, which makes me think the script really caught her off guard.

Her production company is a producing partner on this movie though. I find it hard to believe that she "scoffed" at initially playing Barbie. Wasn't she instrumental in getting the movie made? 

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I honestly don't know what your definition of break out is, but I do know that Harley Quin was huge around Suicide Squad, she definitely had a big impact with that role, it was all the rage back then for Halloween, etc etc. In fact, I doubt she would even have gotten this Barbie role without that huge mainstream success from Harley Quin.

• Like 6

Harley Quinn cosplay was all the rage in 2016. She was a huge fad at that time, despite the less than stellar reception to the movie. I suppose in that sense, WB’s efforts to retool the movie into a GotG/Deadpool clone kind of worked out, since I’m not sure that David Ayer’s gloomier and more “dramatic” film would’ve produced those same results. 

21 minutes ago, vinny2487 said:

Her production company is a producing partner on this movie though. I find it hard to believe that she "scoffed" at initially playing Barbie. Wasn't she instrumental in getting the movie made? 

I believe she was the one who shopped the movie to WB after Sony rejected it, but I’m not 100% sure. I do know her casting predates Greta Gerwig’s involvement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

I honestly don't know what your definition of break out is, but I do know that Harley Quin was huge around Suicide Squad, she definitely had a big impact with that role, it was all the rage back then for Halloween, etc etc. In fact, I doubt she would even have gotten this Barbie role without that huge mainstream success from Harley Quin.

Yeah, I recall Harley being the main draw. They reduced the Joker's airplay as the marketing campaign got closer to release. 

Nevertheless, it's certainly inarguable that Robbie didn't become a draw in her own right after that movie. It speaks to the difficulty of movie stars drawing on their own these days given that an actress of her caliber and beauty couldn't ride such huge exposure to become THAT kind of star. Here's hoping Barbie does the trick. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Harley Quinn got her a $133 mil OW and almost $750 mil WW

• Like 1