grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

This. All of this.

An obvious lesson from the gargantuan success of both “Barbie” and the Eras Tour is that there is a huge, underserved market for entertainment that takes the feelings of girls and women seriously. After years of Covid isolation, reactionary politics and a mental health crisis that has hit girls and young women particularly hard, there’s a palpable longing for both communal delight and catharsis.

“What happens in the crowd is messy, wild, benevolent and beautiful,” Amanda Petrusich wrote in The New Yorker about a Swift concert. A woman attending one of the first “Barbie” showings told The Guardian she’d been waiting for it for two years: “I’ve been dying to go to a movie theater and have something that feels like a monoculture event.

Searchlight Pictures is probably feeling good about signing Swift, who cites the “Barbie” director Greta Gerwig as an influence, to direct her feature film debut. But for the most part, unfortunately, it appears as if the lesson Hollywood is going to take from the success of “Barbie” is not to make more stories for women, but to make more movies about toys.

As The New Yorker reported, 14 movies based on Mattel intellectual property have been announced, including features about the 1980s action figure He-Man and the boxing game Rock ’Em Sock ’Em Robots. Forty-five more are in development. J.J. Abrams is working on what he called an “emotional and grounded and gritty” takeon Hot Wheels. At least they’ve signed up Lena Dunham to make the movie based on Polly Pocket.

And I’ve learned to not just respect, but admire and become a fan of Taylor Swift. Her direction for ‘All Too Well’’s music video it’s a full blown great short-film and if I have learned anything about Swift from the times I thought that Kanye was right and she sucked (that’s more than one decade ago, don’t kill me), it’s well, do no doubt Taylor Swift.

1 hour ago, swearwords said:

very funny to go back to the first page of this thread

Amy Schumer's Barbie would've been one of the most legendary flops of all time. The weekend thread for that would've been one for the ages. I really hope the script for that version leaks online someday.

35 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Actually had a family relative just now confidently tell me this movie is anti-men and promotes transsexuality. I asked if he'd seen it and he said no. Sigh. 

Basically a part of country gets their news from Fox News or social media influencers. Some of these influences are honestly freaking garbage...they intentionally lie about everything and keep feeding their followers lot of bad faith propaganda. This dude is one of those influencers and honestly one of the biggest scumbags I have seen on twitter. Amount of bs he has been tweeting since the weekend is insane...it's not just about Barbie, he has also spread lot of bs about Oppenheimer too. 

• ...wtf 1

Doing a Barbie sequel would certainly be a choice after the movie's ending. Just leave it alone. It'll be like doing an Oppenheimer sequel.

Mattel should shut that down, getting a good/great Barbie film was a miracle itself and a shitty sequel would just damage the brand.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2

This movie resonates and lingers in the way that great movies do, allowing for more discovery as you reflect on it.

It is impressive the way Gerwig effortlessly uses Barbie to say something about the way girls grow up and realize the world isn't what they expected it would be - and it's full of impossible contradictions. And that boys become men who are constrained by cultural pressures around masculinity - often unable to forge an identity for themselves outside of it. Who are we, really, outside all of these expectations? "What was I made for?"

And she delivers all of this in a hilarious package - smart, ridiculous, irreverent, self-aware, but ultimately grounded in something totally sincere and intuitive to all of us in this existence we live. It is a joyous film that has fun looking at these complexities of life. In this sense, I'm not surprised that the movie has exploded and is resonating with folks. Anyone can take something away from this film. But hearing just how giddily and freely women at my showing were laughing and responding to it, including friends of mine who I went with... that was beautiful.

Barbie is a singular experience that I feel like we could have only gotten from Gerwig.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2