grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

On 7/26/2023 at 9:14 AM, WittyUsername said:

The verified audience score on Rotten Tomatoes took a hit. That seems a bit unusual. 

It is not unusual, female-led or female-friendly movie always got review-bombed for various reasons, no matter how "harmless" they are.  The same applied to IMDB.

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It is not unusual, female-led or female-friendly movie always got review-bombed for various reasons, no matter how "harmless" they are.  The same applied to IMDB.

This is the verified score though, meaning those people had to have bought tickets. 

43 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

This is the verified score though, meaning those people had to have bought tickets. 

The system can be gamed. Sometimes when I cancel a ticket I'll still get a message from Fandango to review the movie.

Edited by SpiderByte

Well, this might be why some of the test screening reports were so bad...

One of the casualties of that testing process on “Barbie” was the joke type that Houy and Gerwig have tried sneaking into all three of their collaborations but has always died about two-thirds through the edit. “We’ve always tried to get in a proper fart joke and we’ve never done it,” Gerwig said. “We had like a fart opera in the middle [of ‘Barbie’]. I thought it was really funny. And that was not the consensus.”

“It was in the wrong place, too,” Houy said. “We need to work it into a more significant narrative moment next time.” 

#ReleaseTheFartOperaCut

Seriously, how much would the addition of a Fart Opera have changed Barbie's box office? Most pivotal edit of a box office phenomenon since Cameron scrapped that bit with Old Rose in Titanic?

33 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

#ReleaseTheFartOperaCut

Seriously, how much would the addition of a Fart Opera have changed Barbie's box office? Most pivotal edit of a box office phenomenon since Cameron scrapped that bit with Old Rose in Titanic?

They just found the hook for Barbie 2: Fart Opera!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

#ReleaseTheFartOperaCut

Apparently Gerwig also tried having fart jokes in Lady Bird and Women Talking as well. Between this and the feet thing, I’m starting to think that Ms. Gerwig is an interesting character. 

Edit: Damnit, I meant Little Women. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Apparently Gerwig also tried having fart jokes in Lady Bird and Women Talking as well. Between this and the feet thing, I’m starting to think that Ms. Gerwig is an interesting character. 

That was a Sarah Polley film. ;)

38 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Gerwig made Little Women, but yeah, wouldn’t have guessed that was her humor.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

17 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Love how Oppenheimer, a film about a communist sympathiser expressing grave concern at the US military machine, escapes the woke accusations. 

I think its a combination of Oppenheimer not ticking enough boxes to be on that crowd's radar and just being a historical drama with casting reflective of the time period(1940s America was overwhelmingly white, 89.8%). 

The Last Duel is another one from a few years back that somehow managed to avoid getting a bunch of 'lol go woke go broke' youtube videos hurled at it despite being a mega-bomb and that movie absolutely lampoons systemic patriarchy and misogyny(though not in a cheesy or stupid way).

These youtube guys seem to be more interested in established franchise IP's they perceive as 'going woke' or big flashy movies aimed at everyone they deem as 'woke' or 'problematic' which I think Barbie certainly fits the bill for them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I think its a combination of Oppenheimer not ticking enough boxes to be on that crowd's radar and just being a historical drama with casting reflective of the time period(1940s America was overwhelmingly white, 89.8%). 

The Last Duel is another one from a few years back that somehow managed to avoid getting a bunch of 'lol go woke go broke' youtube videos hurled at it despite being a mega-bomb and that movie absolutely lampoons systemic patriarchy and misogyny(though not in a cheesy or stupid way).

These youtube guys seem to be more interested in established franchise IP's they perceive as 'going woke' or big flashy movies aimed at everyone they deem as 'woke' or 'problematic' which I think Barbie certainly fits the bill for them.

Bigger targets are easier to grift off of.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

It's why I really want her to do something original next. If this is her Batman Begins/TDK equivalent I want her Inception equivalent. But if she really wants to do Narnia on Netflix up to her I suppose. 

I want her to do whatever she wants do next. I don’t think following Nolan’s footsteps is good advice. We already have too many directors trying to emulate Nolan’s career path after all. Let her choose.