grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Is it a stereotype when there was a literal petition signed by the likes of Martin Scorsese? This wasnt some fringe idea.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/martin-scorsese-and-woody-allen-defend-child-rapist-roman-polanski-why-shouldnt-you/

I agree, a lot people who should have known better made fools of themselves...but no more then the CBM fanboys who defend every CBM star who gets into trouble.

5 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Anyone who started saying something is "Real Cinema, unlike the tastes of the stupid masses" about a movie with a 160 plus opening weekend is quite obviously a snob lol

I hope that in the ‘war’ between film snobs and blockbusters, blockbusters win. Why? Movie theater belongs to the masses. It belongs to the public, not to pretentious assholes that try to dictate what people should enjoy. That’s why I always get happy when a film breaks out and hits the public conscious. It doesn’t matter if it’s Barbie, a Marvel film, Avatar, Star Wars, Super Mario Bros or what have you. As long as movie theaters belong to the public and not to the pundits, we will be able to experience films in the big screen. If movie theaters become too much of an expensive experience and go the way of live theater / opera, it will lose the one aspect that actually makes it special.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I agree, a lot people who should have known better made fools of themselves...but no more then the CBM fanboys who defend every CBM star who gets into trouble.

Neither one is great, but I feel like fanboys wanting a film with a crazy star that’s already completed to get released isn’t nearly as bad as signing a petition to get a man who fled the country after pleading guilty to raping a 13 year old released from jail simply because “he makes really good films” and arguing whether or not we should ignore child rape because of art.

Roman Polanski is a perv and signing that petition was bad. However, the general public didn't care that Bryan Singer directed Bohemian Rhapsody, even though that got bad reviews from the snobs. They're also probably going to see the Michael Jackson biopic when that comes out, even though that will also get bad reviews from the snobs. 

• Like 1

OT but The miracle of Barbenheimer is that that easily could’ve been a nasty online film discourse war between two different blockbusters going after two different things, screams of “FilmBro!” and “Woke!” and what not.

Sure you get some of that nonsense (the latter you’re hearing from political hacks and the usual clickbait merchants) but overall I would say the opposite is what happened for the majority. It’s nice overall people seem energized in a positive fashion for both films, and the stellar reviews and WOM for both is adding to it. You wish it would be like this most of the time.

unfortunately it isn’t, so let’s enjoy this moment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Just saw that Critical Drinker absolutely laid into this, in case there was any doubt that rightwing YouTube grifters would give it a pass due to its unqualified success.

If anything, that's a ringing endorsement 😄

8 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Just saw that Critical Drinker absolutely laid into this, in case there was any doubt that rightwing YouTube grifters would give it a pass due to its unmitigated popularity.

They're trying to sway the conversation around it. The rulebook for these guys is if it has a big week 2 drop make a bunch of videos celebrating how it's been "rejected". If not and it has great legs, never make another video about it, it never existed.

• Like 3

From what I’ve seen, the excuse the anti-woke grifters are giving for the massive box office numbers is that people were supposedly fooled into thinking this would be a “fun and lighthearted” and perfectly non-political family film from the trailers. Whatever helps them cope. 

24 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

From what I’ve seen, the excuse the anti-woke grifters are giving for the massive box office numbers is that people were supposedly fooled into thinking this would be a “fun and lighthearted” and perfectly non-political family film from the trailers. Whatever helps them cope. 

I'm sure they got that from that first 2001: A Space Odyssey trailer.

Nothing says 'pure fun and lighthearted family entertaining that is nothing but fluff and has nothing to say' like a first trailer that acts as a direct beat-by-beat riff on the first scene on a Stanley Kubrick film from 1968.

This film has that creative spark one would generally associate with a pixar film, in that from the marketing as a casual movie goer you think your getting a fun little popcorn comedy film(which it still is.) but then the themes and heart creep up on you surprising you and actually making you think.                                               Also don’t know if anyone made the comparison but It’s very much “the matrix” meets “enchanted” .