grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Even without the F-bomb, the movie would still be PG-13 (not that there's anything wrong with that.. Guardians 3 had an F-bomb, the first had a cum joke..)

But still, it's a beyond broadly appealing crowdpleasing film that's been scoring excellently. Per ViewerAnon, he can confirm it's doing well with kids, too. Of course screening tea cannot be taken as gospel, but for this one...

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The use of the F word is enough to make it PG-13, most countries like the UK would not accept Barbie lower than a 12A because of it although weirdly shit is allowed in a PG rated film in the UK as well as the word ass. 

"Ass" used to be censored here a lot (and replaced with "butt") but not so much anymore. Probably because, well, it's a common  name for a part of our bodies lol.

But yeah, the MPA has long had double standards regarding certain stuff, it's unlikely the "beach off" innuendo was the cause when kids movies have been sneaking in jokes like that for decades like the "erection under the covers" gag in the OG Shrek (heck, even before that Disney managed to sneak in an "aren't old lady body parts terrifying?!" joke - "I bet you weren't expecting this!" - into The Emperor's New Groove that also flew over the heads of the kids that saw it in theaters back in the day).

1 minute ago, Eric Prime said:

90% of PG-13 movies are aimed at children anyways. It won't matter at all for this.

We have reached a point now where PG-13 is the family movie rating, PG is kids movie and G is non existent.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

We have reached a point now where PG-13 is the family movie rating, PG is kids movie and G is non existent.

What is the last major G-rated movie anyway? The last Cars from six years ago? More proof that the ratings system needs a makeover.

• Like 1

I’ve always been of the opinion that Dreamworks pretty much killed the G rating. The first Shrek movie was a big hit that had the kind of crude and edgy humor you wouldn’t typically see in a Disney animated film, and everyone tried to copy it, to the point where they began to avoid the G rating like a plague. 

4 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Paw Patrol in 2021, and then Toy Story 4 in 2019

So basically, they need to be part of a previously G-rated franchise to secure that rating. :lol:

Feel like a lot of the Disney remakes (including Little Mermaid) would've faced stricter ratings for certain scenes if not for both the "fairy tale violence vs. real world violence" double standard (the reason Mulan, Cruella, Jungle Cruise, and now Haunted Mansion were given PG-13s) and being scene-by-scene remakes of G-rated animated films.

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So basically, they need to be part of a previously G-rated franchise to secure that rating. :lol:

Feel like a lot of the Disney remakes (including Little Mermaid) would've faced stricter ratings for certain scenes if not for both the "fairy tale violence vs. real world violence" double standard (the reason Mulan, Cruella, Jungle Cruise, and now Haunted Mansion were given PG-13s) and being scene-by-scene remakes of G-rated animated films.

TBF Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion have mild horror that aren't suited for really young ones. 

The BBFC classified any family film with violence or threat with a PG, Cinderella got a U which is the equivalent of a G because there was no violence or threat in it whereas The Jungle Book had mild threat scenes so was a PG.

Air was a film where I think it didn't need to be R rated, they really only needed to change one word and that would have made it PG-13.

5 hours ago, Maggie said:

Some clips

Does Skipper not exist in this universe? She was introduced as Barbie's little sister very early on, in the 1960s. I remember those dolls being flat-footed, but the design has changed a lot over the years. This gimmick alone would've guaranteed the PG-13:

In 1975 Growing Up Skipper was released. The gimmick of the doll, which led to much controversy in the newspapers, was that if Skipper's arm was rotated, the doll would become an inch taller and small breasts would appear on her rubber torso.

27 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Oh no. I blame Noah Baumbach for this, Gerwig did fine writing on her own.

These clips are nothing like what Baumbach does (they also wrote Frances Ha and Mistress America together???) and they are edited and shortened greatly from the scenes in the movie.. Did you not notice this during the McKinnon clip??

You guys are so silly lmao

• Like 1

I mean the clips is weird but it’s like 10 seconds each, honestly impossible to get any sense of tone, theme, humour … it all just looks and sounds random 

I don’t think it matters that much, but I’m hoping Warner will start screen this soon along with the world tour otherwise it would be a bit worrisome considering this is supposedly a winner quality-wise 

Edited by ThomasNicole