grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Not based on material from another medium, so it's Original.

But without Michael Jordan and his story and his shoe, the movie wouldn't exist. These rules are completely arbitrary.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

But without Michael Jordan and his story and his shoe, the movie wouldn't exist. These rules are completely arbitrary.

Michael Jordan isn’t (technically) an intellectual property. He’s a real person. Barbie is a doll. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Michael Jordan isn’t (technically) an intellectual property. He’s a real person. Barbie is a doll. 

Michael Jordan would disagree with you. So would his Jordan brand. I'd argue the Jordan brand is much more culturally relevant today than Barbie is.

If you're adapted someone's story, that should be adapted. If this is the path you want to go down.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

So then any movie about any person that existed should be adapted. But that's not the case.

Yeah, it's not fair that Barbie is an Adapted Screenplay, but Air isn't. Air is based on real events. All the characters are based off of real people, and without them, the film couldn't exist.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Michael Jordan would disagree with you. So would his Jordan brand. I'd argue the Jordan brand is much more culturally relevant today than Barbie is.

If you're adapted someone's story, that should be adapted. If this is the path you want to go down.

Michael Jordan would disagree with me that he’s a real person? 

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

He would disagree with you that he's not a brand. That his shoe isn't intellectual property.

I said he’s not technically an intellectual property by virtue of being a real person. If the Barbie movie were about the creation of the doll, then it would have a better claim to being an original screenplay. 

4 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

This.  I guess the rule for "real life  " stories is if a scriipt is based upon a specific book they bought  it is adapted, if not based upon a specific book. but upon general research. it is original.

Of couruse the old joke about if you steal from one book it is plagarsim, but steal from a couple of dozen books it is research comes into play.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

WB put this in the original screenplay category, knowing it doesn't belong so that when the academy rightly moved it, you'd have legions of stans defending the film. Even though Adapted Screenplay isn't any less or more "prestigious" a distinction. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

*puts on tinfoil hat*

WB put this in the original screenplay category, knowing it doesn't belong so that when the academy rightly moved it, you'd have legions of stans defending the film. Even though Adapted Screenplay isn't any less or more "prestigious" a distinction. 

Either that or they just wanted to cheat the system by competing in a less competitive category. 

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Either that or they just wanted to cheat the system by competing in a less competitive category. 

I definitely believe they make a different decision vs last year's field. I also think they were hoping to maximize their win possibilities, not just personally for Gerwig & Baumbach but on the studio level for WB: campaign Barbie in Original Screenplay because The Color Purple was always going for Adapted. Now a nomination for the latter seems unlikely, but that wouldn't have been known for sure last summer.

Oscar voters can be incredibly petty: based on prior Anonymous Ballots, I can picture someone not voting for the Barbie just because of the Original Screenplay attempt. But you might also get other voters who back it because they feel the Academy overstepped its bounds.

It would be wild if it missed  the category completely.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Studios do that all the time. Gosling is no less a co-lead than Gladstone in KOTFM yet he's placed in Supporting cause less competitive. Category fraud like so many of them. Category frauds in Script are less likely cause pretty much anything based on something is Adapted but points for trying ha! even if it didn't pan out. 

Edited by Valonqar