lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

I think this movie looks fucking terrible from everything I've seen but obviously I'm missing something here since the predictions from you guys are pretty high. Different strokes I guess. 

I'm thinking a 45/135 run here but it'll probably end up higher I guess.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

I think this movie looks fucking terrible from everything I've seen but obviously I'm missing something here since the predictions from you guys are pretty high. Different strokes I guess. 

It looks like garbage, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Plus kids love Power Rangers. The trailer has always gotten buzz when I've seen them in theaters.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

It looks like garbage, but nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Plus kids love Power Rangers. The trailer has always gotten buzz when I've seen them in theaters.

The excuse being used is "It's Power Rangers.  It's supposed to be awful," which is sounding a lot like the TV show excuses:

Samurai: Saban just bought the rights back, so of course it had to be close to Shinkenger.  Maybe it'll get better with Megaforce.

Megaforce: It's Jonathan Tzachor's fault that Super Megaforce was a lousy anniversary season.  Now that Chip Lynn is back, it will be better.

Dino Charge: End of Extinction really wasn't that bad of a finale.  We got Chip Lynn back.  Ninja Steel will be better.

Ninja Steel:  Guess how it is going to go.

And just apply that logic to Saban Brands and Lionsgate for a potential sequel.

49 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

I think it looks like harmless cheese that I see on a Saturday morning, enjoy, then forget 5 hours later.

To put some perspective on what (might be) expected of this film's performance: According to various rules of thumb, PR needs to make about $51M on its domestic opening weekend in order to be on the road to success. Last year, there were 152 wide release films in the US/Canada market. Those films had a median opening weekend gross of $12.2M. Of those 152, only 15* grossed more than $51M OW. So, this film has to perform in the 90th percentile or better in order to satisfy the execs.

*Captain America: Civil WarBatman v. Superman: Dawn of JusticeRogue OneFinding DorySuicide SquadDeadpoolSecret Life of PetsJungle BookDoctor StrangeZootopiaFantastic Beasts and Where to Find ThemX-Men: ApocalypseStar Trek BeyondJason Bourne, and Moana.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I think it looks like harmless cheese that I see on a Saturday morning, enjoy, then forget 5 hours later.

I mean, I guess I can see that. I'm sure other people will get enjoyment out of it but unless the reviews are out of this world, I'm gonna stay away from this one.

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

For me, above a 45% for a PR movie would be out of this world :ph34r: 

Oh come now, it should at least be able to outperform the dreck that was the 1995 movie. That one's sitting at 50% right now, although like most films that predate RT it has a low sample size (22 reviews).

On 2/28/2017 at 1:25 PM, That One Guy said:

It feel likes it has nothing new to offer, either in the world of superhero movies, or to the Power Rangers mythology mostly set up by the TV show.  As Dino Charge character Riley would probably say, logic at Saban Brands says that Mighty Morphin is known more than anything else, so that's the story for this movie.  So now we have a movie set on ordinary Earth, as an origin story, when most people already know what a Power Ranger is and don't need it explained again.  Other seasons had interesting premises.  S.P.D. had aliens living among humans. RPM started with its villain nearly completing a takeover of Earth.  What does this movie offer that is more exciting than things like that? I'm not seeing it here, so I guess nostalgia and name recognition are driving a lot of the interest in this movie.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Lionsgate isn't going to see any of the OS money apart from UK so it really needs to do well in the US and UK markets as well as being a decent success for the local distributors. 

Yeh, would be interesting to see how much they generated in pre-sales to offset their costs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh, would be interesting to see how much they generated in pre-sales to offset their costs.

It's difficult to know because I suspect it varies depending on the distributor and country,