lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

2 hours ago, blurredbynes said:

when i was young i broke out a lot

not sure how much of an impact Australia has on the overall box office but i think it will flop here. It comes out on the same day as Beauty and the Beast which has had some pretty insane marketing but i haven't seen shit for this besides a billboard. Not even a trailer in cinemas (and I go to the cinemas a lot) 

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

It'll probably flop in Australia, which wouldn't surprise me. I don't expect huge numbers worldwide. Should be successful in China, though. 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

$105m is a very reasonable budget, well done to them. 

Hopefully thats confirmed by the trades. 

Hearing that about the sparse marketing in Australia sounds like it is a similar situation in New Zealand, which as Power Rangers fans know, has been the TV show's home since 2003's Ninja Storm.  If the New Zealand marketing for this movie is light, the home of the Power Rangers TV show, then what does that say about this movie?  I actually feel they could have lowered the budget had they filmed in New Zealand and not Canada, because then, Saban would have combined the costs for both the TV show and movie for tax credits.  I don't know why Lionsgate felt the need to film in Canada for this, when so many other films and TV shows do.  Storybrooke from Once Upon a Time has been mentioned numerous times, whereas, had they filmed in Auckland instead, it would have been compared to previous PR seasons instead.

Edited by Outrageous!

26 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

Hearing that about the sparse marketing in Australia sounds like it is a similar situation in New Zealand, which as Power Rangers fans know, has been the TV show's home since 2003's Ninja Storm.  If the New Zealand marketing for this movie is light, the home of the Power Rangers TV show, then what does that say about this movie?  I actually feel they could have lowered the budget had they filmed in New Zealand and not Canada, because then, Saban would have combined the costs for both the TV show and movie for tax credits.  I don't know why Lionsgate felt the need to film in Canada for this, when so many other films and TV shows do.  Storybrooke from Once Upon a Time has been mentioned numerous times, whereas, had they filmed in Auckland instead, it would have been compared to previous PR seasons instead.

Possibly because it's easier to film in Canada than New Zealand 

18 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

Anecdotal but I don't know anyone who gives a shit about Power Rangers here (NZ).

That is funny, because for two years straight, in order to get an additional tax credit, there was a character, Chase, from New Zealand in Dino Charge.  So that meant we got to hear about rugby, "New Zealand's favorite sport" and the pavlova, so Saban could make the show cheaper.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh there's zero marketing here in the U.K. so far.

I've still not seen the trailer in cinemas or any tv spots, merchandise or tie in promotional campaigns. 

Lionsgate only distributes in US I believe so maybe whoever they sold it too isnt doing a good job.

On 05/03/2017 at 9:44 PM, Stormagden said:

Lionsgate only distributes in US I believe so maybe whoever they sold it too isnt doing a good job.

Lionsgate release their own films in the U.K. too. 

I think they only do US and UK.

But yeh they're doing a bad job. 

8 hours ago, Mikasa Ackerman said:

Unlikely? I'd be astonished if it came anywhere near 400m worldwide.

Then we can probably kiss a sequel goodbye. You're probably looking at an overall budget of $158M. If LG keeps a little over half of domestic ticket sales and around a third of the foreign gross (for whatever territories they're distributing in), the bar for success raises pretty quickly. Unless they're counting on it doing gangbuster numbers on Blu-ray.

Unless, perhaps, $105M is the total budget, with marketing included? What are the odds of that being what Toei meant? If that happens to be the case, I'm pegging "success" at $38.8M OW, $112M DOM, $274M WW, which is more-or-less in line with current projections.

13 hours ago, johnboy3434 said:

Unless, perhaps, $105M is the total budget, with marketing included? What are the odds of that being what Toei meant? If that happens to be the case, I'm pegging "success" at $38.8M OW, $112M DOM, $274M WW, which is more-or-less in line with current projections.

As noted elsewhere, the original tweet saying that is gone.  Maybe Lionsgate got upset at that tweet?  It is hard to believe this film will do well in worldwide total, when anecdotally here, we have heard Australia, New Zealand, and the U.K., all have seen light marketing for this film.  And less than three weeks out from release, I am not seeing the kind of buzz necessary for Lionsgate to order a sequel immediately.  Even if there is an audience on opening weekend, the second weekend drop will probably be very significant for this.  And if this movie only breaks even, is that enough for Lionsgate to order a sequel?