CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

4 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

It was a lot fun. 

Hardly anyone has stayed for the post credit scene. 

One of the clerks actually came in and told everyone that there was one. That's something I haven't seen before.

Edited by AABATTERY
  • Like 2

There was around 300 people at the screening and probably around 20-30 stayed. There was half a dozen staff waiting at the front to clean up. 

Just checked.

Those bloody Warriors are useless. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Moderation:

Guys, please spoiler-tag any specific discussion about scenes, how much or how little screen time characters have, etc. 

Sorry Tele, was trying to clear that up for anyone who watched Jahns review and was going to skip it for that reason.

• Like 1

Spoilers to a reaction i got in theaters to the after credit's scene.

Spoiler

I'm such a nerd, I actually did say out loud Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. The person next to me looks at me like I'm an idiot after I say Ghidorah. "That's a hydra". I just kind of laughed.

I'm a nerd.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I may be slightly overreacting because I didn't get a lot of sleep today and been watching almost nothing but old musicals over the past week, but this movie is so full of shit

Please elaborate. I'm trying to decide if I should double feature it with Silence next week. Not sure if it's worth the price of the admission as I think it looks boring as hell.

Edited by Goffe

6 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Please elaborate. I'm trying to decide if I should double feature it with Silence next week. Not sure if it's worth the price of the admission as I think it looks boring as hell.

I'm not Jake but this didn't feel much like a Goffe movie.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Please elaborate. I'm trying to decide if I should double feature it with Silence next week. I think it looks super boring, so I'm not if it's worth the price of the admission.

It just never feels like any genuine effort went into anything other than the visuals. The movie doesn't bother with tension instead just going straight for the money shots (kind of an opposite of Godzilla '14 in that sense), every single character (and there are like 15 to keep track of) is an instantly forgettable stock type yet the movie spends half an hour introducing them and then more time trying to make the audience give a shit about them, John C. Reilly is the only one who looks like he's really having fun, the dialogue is so uninspired that the script actually has the characters joke about it (which doesn't make it any smarter), the soundtrack is just totally random '70s tunes (including inevitably some Bowie and some stuff that was already better used in say Dazed and Confused) playing over scenes for no meaningful reason, there's a bunch of references to Vietnam and visual callbacks to war movies and it all rings completely hollow too. The action is fine, and the monsters look great, but everything around that is just one enormous pile of nothing, and so it robs the action of any stakes as well. To paraphrase Veep, it's a Frankenstein monster if the monster was made entirely of dead parts of other blockbusters. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

It just never feels like any genuine effort went into anything other than the visuals. The movie doesn't bother with tension instead just going straight for the money shots (kind of an opposite of Godzilla '14 in that sense), every single character (and there are like 15 to keep track of) is an instantly forgettable stock type yet the movie spends half an hour introducing them and then more time trying to make the audience give a shit about them, John C. Reilly is the only one who looks like he's really having fun, the dialogue is so uninspired that the script actually has the characters joke about it (which doesn't make it any smarter), the soundtrack is just totally random '70s tunes (including inevitably some Bowie and some stuff that was already better used in say Dazed and Confused) playing over scenes for no meaningful reason, there's a bunch of references to Vietnam and visual callbacks to war movies and it all rings completely hollow too. The action is fine, and the monsters look great, but everything around that is just one enormous pile of nothing, and so it robs the action of any stakes as well. To paraphrase Veep, it's a Frankenstein monster if the monster was made entirely of dead parts of other blockbusters. 

So... Jurrassic World with 70s music?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah, man. I don't know. Whole movie should've been revolved around John C. Reilly. It's almost like the filmmakers realized that too late. Loved Kong, Reilly and Jackson. Pretty much, yeah. Not much too see. Why the fuck did this movie halfheartedly attempt to do so much while simultaneously aggressive do so little with all the moving parts. It's a weird animal. Jackson's Kong still reigns supreme.

Really sucks that Verbinski bombed so hard with Lone Ranger and then Cure For Wellness. He seems like the ideal choice for what Warner Bros. really wants with Godzilla and Kong in this haphazard renaissance. Have the chosen the director for the Kong v. Godzilla flick? Someone with a knack for fun, pulp, bouncing action beats and parading some surreal images across the screen could really make it pop.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So... Jurrassic World with 70s music?

Much, much better then that.  I had a blast with this!  Maybe it was the audience I was with, but everyone had a great time.  Plus, it had a great heart.  Maybe it's the Cubs fan in me, but I adored the ending.  

I really love the visuals of this and Godzilla.  Very confident and unique for big budget fare.  

• Like 3