CJohn

The Croods: A New Age | Nov 25, 2020 | RIP Cloris Leachman

4 years is already long.

4 years is a long time..... ill reserve judgement till then, get more of an idea of the awareness. Still, Croods was arguably a bigger crowd pleaser than HTTYD and Panda simply because it had far more humour. Dragons 2 failed because they wanted to make a more serious movie and that clearly backfired. If the Croods 2 is bigger, crazier and funnier, I could see 250m.

• Like 1

4 years is a long time..... ill reserve judgement till then, get more of an idea of the awareness. Still, Croods was arguably a bigger crowd pleaser than HTTYD and Panda simply because it had far more humour. Dragons 2 failed because they wanted to make a more serious movie and that clearly backfired. If the Croods 2 is bigger, crazier and funnier, I could see 250m.

I think the release date is good. I also think it will survive AVATAR ll or lll.

As I said: After Shrek 2, every part 2 from DWA has dropped from part 1 domestically. (And in fact, out of all their post-2004 sequels, only Shrek 3 and Madagascar 3 have outgrossed their first installments - but adjusted for inflation, no DWA sequel after Shrek 2 has matched or surpassed the admisssions of its series' first film.)So if we go purely by historical trends, a domestic drop for Croods 2 feels almost like a foregone conclusion. This will have to fight an uphill battle to win over domestic audiences. (An OS increase will be much easier.)A Croods TV series will also come out in the interim - if the Dragons series really did hurt HTTYD2 as some argue, that might not bode well for this. (The difference is that the Croods series - as with all of DWA's future TV output - will be exclusively on Netflix, not on Cartoon Network like the first two seasons of Dragons were. So it may not be AS exposed or AS accessible as it would be on a basic cable channel.)

Edited by TServo2049

I think anything above $200M DOM could be doable. I mean....it's getting released at Christmas time. The time where blockbusters, even if they don't open massive...they show better legs. 

WW-wise..it's obvious that it will increase. The highest grosser WW for Nicolas Cage was the first Croods. And he did a voice in the film.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This gets me worried that Comcast/Universal is looking to turn Dreamworks into Illumination 2.0. They better not touch HTTYD3...

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was going to say that they're going to lay off all of the Dreamworks animators, but then I remembered that they're making a new Shrek movie. So maybe they just don't know what the fuck they're doing.

• Like 2