Neo

THE Incredibles 2 | June 15, 2018 | NO SPOILERS!!!!

3 minutes ago, Quigley said:

Thursday previews for I2 start at 5PM. This is ridiculous. We are lying to ourselves if we are still talking about opening weekends. Blockbusters nowadays have proper 4-day weekends. This preview business needs to stop or the official opening day should just be changed to Thursday.

5 PM starts are normal for kids movies. Business past 7-8 PM is normally nonexistent (though that won't be the case here)

The movie is very much in the same category as Dory quality wise, imo. That's not meant to be a knock against it, I quite liked Dory. But no, I definitely don't think it breaks into the coveted top tier Pixar league. The TS sequels remain the only sequels to do that.

Anways, as for the Nemo vs Incredibles adult debate, I guess people may have a point more adults saw Nemo at the time. I mean after all, if tons of kids are seeing it that usually means tons of adults are too by default. But I'm talking about actual adult appeal, adults who would go see something without kids. And I'm sorry but it's not a debate that Incredibles deals with more adult themes and is darker than Nemo. If you think it's even close, you really need to rewatch both again.

In the first few minutes of Incredibles, we're already dealing with a man suing Bob because he saved him from suicide when he didn't want to be saved. How many animated movies even have the word suicide in the script? That more adult tone that doesn't pander to kids or water it down for them continues throughout the whole film. Bob and Helen have a very adult dialouge between them that isn't neutered for kids, and some of the issues they're going through are ones I guarantee kids don't relate to. There's also some very real family dysfunction and fights that are pretty heavy. Syndrome is downright sadistic as a villain, and he really does torture Bob emotionally and mentally. Beyond all of that, the movie presents a threat of real danger, with Helen even telling the kids on the island that these bad guys aren't like the bad guys they watch on TV. They won't exercise restraint because they're kids, they will find them and kill them. She then tells them they simply can't let them and leaves them to fend for themselves. There's a lot more I could go on about, but I think that makes the point. Nemo on the other hand is a cure and bright film for all ages with emotional beats of course, but nothing truly aimed exclusively at adults. 

• Like 1

Watched it a few hours ago, quite enjoyable and fun, but a few patches that a bit boring. The villain is meh, the stake/risk low. Quite a lot of cliches in plots, even the "twists" can be seen hundreds of feet away. Nowhere near as thrilling, exciting or engaging as AIW.

7/10. Worth watching once in theatre, and for me once is enough.

Was thinking it may have a good shot at 600M DOM, but after watching it, I have a feeling that even 500M may be a struggle.

Edited by justvision

I miss the old Pixar :( 

2007-2010 was their best period. Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up are downright magic and Toy Story 3 is perfection.

With sequels printing out money like no tomorrow, I doubt Disney will let Pixar go back to original movies only (except for Toy Story) again.

Edited by bladels
  • Like 1

The Incredibles 2 is proving to be another critically acclaimed film for Pixar, and aside from the Toy Story trilogy, its highest rated sequel. As Pixar's 20th film, Pixar now has 14 of 20 films at 90+% on RT, 18 of 20 Certified Fresh, and 19 of 20 Fresh (with the lone Rotten film being Cars 2). That is impressive.

With its appeal and critical acclaim, if the film hits the high end of tracking for its opening weekend ($140M), then I think $500M+ is looking possible for Incredibles 2. Would be the new highest grossing animated film of all-time, for both opening weekend and total domestic gross. Will be fun to follow how it does this weekend and beyond!

Pixar Movie RT Scores and Multipliers

90%+ RT Score Class

Toy Story — 100% (9.0 rating) — 6.58 (using 3-day), 4.91 (using 5-day)

Toy Story 2 — 100% (8.6 rating) — 4.28 (using first wide weekend)

Toy Story 3 — 99% (8.9 rating) — 3.76

Finding Nemo — 99% (8.7 rating) — 4.83

Inside Out — 98% (8.9 rating) — 3.94

Up — 98% (8.7 rating) — 4.30

Coco — 97% (8.3 rating) — 4.13 (using 3-day), 2.88 (using 5-day)

The Incredibles — 97% (8.3 rating) — 3.71

Wall-E — 96% (8.6 rating) — 3.55

Ratatouille — 96% (8.5 rating) — 4.39

Monsters, Inc — 96% (8.0 rating) — 4.09

The Incredibles 2 — 94% (8.0 rating) — TBD

Finding Dory — 94% (7.6 rating) — 3.60

A Bug’s Life — 92% (7.9 rating) — 4.89 (using 3-day wide weekend), 3.56 (using 5-day wide)

The ‘Other’ Pixar Movies

Brave — 78% (7.0 rating) — 3.58

Monsters University — 79% (6.8 rating) — 3.26

The Good Dinosaur — 76% (6.5 rating) — 3.14 (using 3-day), 2.22 (using 5-day)

Cars — 74% (6.9 rating) — 4.06

Cars 3 — 68% (6.0 rating) — 2.85

Cars 2 — 39% (5.5 rating) — 2.89

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, bladels said:

I miss the old Pixar :( 

2007-2010 was their best period. Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up are downright magic and Toy Story 3 is perfection.

With sequels printing out money like no tomorrow, I doubt Disney will let Pixar go back to original movies only (except for Toy Story) again.

Dan Scanlon has an original film coming out in 2020. Rumor is Mark Andrews and Pete Doctor originals are next after that.

One good thing to come out of the Lasseter ordeal is we hopefully won't be getting any more Cars movies

15 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Dan Scanlon has an original film coming out in 2020. Rumor is Mark Andrews and Pete Doctor originals are next after that.

One good thing to come out of the Lasseter ordeal is we hopefully won't be getting any more Cars movies

Mark Andrews doesn't inspire at all. 

Disney have outdone Pixar recently, and after all that has come out (behind the scenes), they seem the more progressive of the two. 

Sad days, but whatever it was that kept Pixar going early on has pretty much disappeared. They can't rely on Unkrich and Docter once every 4 years. 

Maybe Lasseter's removal will be the reinvigoration that the studio needs, but then again Catmull is still there and those that enabled Lasseter are still there. Fingers crossed the real talent will weather this prolonged storm. 

Edited by BK007

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

People put Pixar on a way too high of a pedestal. It's like they forget that Finding Dory was also well-received. If The Incredibles 2 was a Marvel film, and was getting the same kind of reviews, they'd be saying / praising the film for its great reviews. Honestly fans are just nitpicky and weird. 

That's because the Pixar Golden Double Decade > MCU. 

The standard is so much higher, it's not even funny or a contest. 

So when something like Monsters Uni. or Dory comes along that is worse than an MCU film (not on par) that's a massive dropoff in quality. 

Dory is something I'd expect out of second tier Dreamworks or Illumination or Blue Sky. 

I'm not expecting Pixar to hit their glory days so consistently again for the foreseeable future even if they do go back to original filmmaking. Long as they still turn out the occasional classic, it's enough for me. 

Doctor and Unkrich still sell me on their pedigree, and hopefully Bird and Stanton will still stick around enough to continue churning out their own greats (and don't @ me w/Dory). I do think some of their other filmmakers have potential and it would definitely be more reassuring if Andrews or Scanlon get high marks with their next films

• Like 1

If presales are just outpacing Dory's, it's not outopening Dory. 

10m previews

47m OD

40m Saturday

33m Sunday 

120m OW (the original opened to 103m adjusted when CGI was a massive novelty and Pixar was undefeatable... this would be a good start) 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

If presales are just outpacing Dory's, it's not outopening Dory. 

10m previews

47m OD

40m Saturday

33m Sunday 

120m OW (the original opened to 103m adjusted when CGI was a massive novelty and Pixar was undefeatable... this would be a good start) 

Some people were predicting 600-650M+ total in another thread lmfao

• Like 1

i2 should be more front-loaded than dory but could beat it by a small margin.

one of a million realistic ways it could do it,

44.5 (4x)

43.0 (-3%)

37.5 (-13%) // cars3 did -15% last year on father's day in ow

=136.1 ow

dory

45.6 (5x)

45.6 (n/c)

34.7 (-24%)

= 135.1 ow

Edited by a2k

I can’t see why outpacing Dory presales is a bad thing to think the opening will be $ 15M lower because of that, especially with a holiday on sunday

$ 10-11M previews is probable enough  to make this break the record, even if I2 is more frontloaded than Dory, father’s day will balance that (at least in the OW)