Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

i give up. Marvel comics rules the world. What a disgrace that number is. Cannot believe that many people like to see this piece of crap looking movie

• Like 7

Cause pessimism is fun.

If Guardians "only" gets a $70-80 million OW out of this somehow that'll still be a huge success and nobody better dare call that underwhelming. 

If it drops 61% next weekend after that, then I guess we can start getting kind of bummed out.

• Like 1

The whole board has jumped the gun, as usual.When this doesn't do $100m OW, when it proves to be frontloaded, (hopefully not to the tune of like $60-70m which is still possible), when it gets dubious legs like every other movie so far this summer despite WOM, let us remember that it's not a disappointment.Seriously this could still end up in the low 70s and people are clamouring $100m locks and $90m floors and whatnot.

If you can find an example of a movie that had $11m in previews and only opened to $70m, I'd love to see it.
  • Like 5

The whole board has jumped the gun, as usual.

When this doesn't do $100m OW, when it proves to be frontloaded, (hopefully not to the tune of like $60-70m which is still possible), when it gets dubious legs like every other movie so far this summer despite WOM, let us remember that it's not a disappointment.

Seriously this could still end up in the low 70s and people are clamouring $100m locks and $90m floors and whatnot.

I agree with you but I though you were like the no. 1 Marvel fan. Shouldn't you be leading the crazy train? :lol:

i give up. Marvel comics rules the world. What a disgrace that number is. Cannot believe that many people like to see this piece of crap looking movie

Are you gonna give in and see it baumer? :rofl:

• Like 2

Yeah, you can't really compare this to Captain America 2 because it's a completely different time of year. Not that that takes away how impressive this number is for an unknown property with a cast of mostly non-draws.

• Like 1

Guardians isn't a sequel though all you pessimists. It also doesn't have any characters from Avengers and it more targeted towards family's, which should make it less front-loaded. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

Exactly. Cap 2 did 10 million on a Thursday night in early April! This did 11 million on a Thursday night in late July!

Apples and oranges. 

Cap 2 was also a direct sequel to one movie and a sort-of sequel to another, while also being a sequel in another sense as a new entry in the MCU. Guardians is only a sequel in that loose sense as part of the MCU.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1