CJohn

Frozen II | Nov 22 2019 | 2nd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again! | Documentary series coming to D+ June 26

On 10/1/2019 at 8:07 AM, tribefan695 said:

Full soundtrack title list released, Kacey Musgraves and Panic! at the Disco also on it

https://www.altpress.com/news/frozen-2-soundtrack-panic-at-the-disco-weezer/

Wouldn't say the titles are all that spoilery, but use caution if you're sensitive 

After listening to The Next Right Thing and hearing how beautifully somber it is, its placement in the film judging by the list is concerning...

Into the Unknown sounds AWESOME though.

EDIT: I just remembered how in the main trailer Elsa says "What would I do without you?" and Anna says "You'll always have me." It seems like usually when characters have a discussion like that, one of them dies or leaves... but they wouldn't have Elsa or anyone leave or die or anything, right?...

... Right?

Then again after Frozen nearly had Anna die, Frozen 2 doesn't hate a rating yet, and Endgame had its big spoiler, I'm not so sure anymore...

Edited by FrozenUnicorn

On 9/22/2019 at 1:27 PM, Avatree said:

Probably similar to how the first one did.

I think the situation has changed quite a bit for this franchise as far as China is concerned, at least based on what I've heard about it becoming far more well known in this country and reportedly fairly popular sometime after the original movie's run.  Take this for the unsubstantiated rumor/anecdote that it is, but it could be true.  This market has opened up more to western movies, as well, since that time.  If the sequel happens to gross a similar amount, then that would be a coincidence, I believe.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:27 PM, Avatree said:

Disney princess movies are quite western. If you look at all successful hollywood animation in China, the ones to break out are ones featuring non- humans.

While that has been true thus far regarding China specifically, Frozen did not appear to underperform in Japan and South Korea, so it's not so much about western versus eastern, but what China happens to prefer.  Frozen II may not break any box office records in China, but significantly outperforming the original movie in this market seems plausible.  If it does, then the question is whether that will be enough to offset the significant drop in Japan (typical even for first sequels), which is practically assured.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:22 PM, Yandereprime101189 said:

This will likely be huge everywhere, but how well will it do in China?

It probably won't be huge or even large in Latin America.  Being a first sequel, it will likely grow some in terms of admissions, but with exchange rates being what they are today, it may either slightly grow or drop from the original in this region.  I expect significant growth in Europe and China, though.

On 9/23/2019 at 7:48 AM, Valonqar said:

So Elsa's not getting a girlfriend or are they are hiding? I remember there was a big hype about it but I see nothing that indicates it. 

There was never any indication whatsoever that Elsa would be involved romantically with a female character.  Some highly vocal people were calling for it and trying to pressure the directors into doing it, but it was never something they seriously considered, much less promised, as far as I'm aware.  If there was any hype, it was entirely created in the public/media imagination.  Fake news, anyone? :)

• Like 1

Their father really reminds me of a young Walt Disney (apparently he also had two daughters in real life)

EFLg6UzXUAI3Ejz.jpg

Wonder what he would've thought about current Disney (and its complete domination at the box office lol)

I think he would've loved Frozen tbh

Edited by Royce

On 9/25/2019 at 11:18 AM, jedijake said:

Gotta say, this movie really does stand a solid chance of being #2 domestic for the year. 

Not sure about WW. Could be #3 though.

Your username indicates a huge lack of faith in the force.

Gonna listen to the clips in a bit! Hyped!

Edited by darthdevidem01

17 hours ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

EDIT: I just remembered how in the main trailer Elsa says "What would I do without you?" and Anna says "You'll always have me." It seems like usually when characters have a discussion like that, one of them dies or leaves... but they wouldn't have Elsa or anyone leave or die or anything, right?...

... Right?

While this franchise may be somewhat bold in some ways, I don't think Disney are at the point where they'd actually permanently kill off one of their princess characters.  Maybe someday it will be something they'd consider, given the right story and real-life circumstances for it, but almost certainly not just yet, I'd say (and probably not for a long time).

17 hours ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

Then again after Frozen nearly had Anna die, Frozen 2 doesn't hate a rating yet, and Endgame had its big spoiler, I'm not so sure anymore...

If you mean the MPAA rating, it's going to be PG, either way.  That's simply what the movie will get, and there is no sense to these ratings that I can discern.  The movie is from Disney Animation, so it automatically gets a PG these days, while in the 1990s it would have gotten a G rating seemingly regardless of content.  Walt Disney stuck Snow White in a glass coffin, but that movie got a G rating later on, too.  Maybe nowadays it would get a PG.

Anyway, in Frozen II apparently there will be an issue of potential separation based on what Elsa learns on her quest, but I don't think anyone is going to die.  You never know, though.  Elsa and Anna are pretty safe, but who knows about Olaf.... ;)

33 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Yeay, Toy Story 4 was so weird, plastic and simple looking toys in CGI environments  so detailed it hurt the brains.

The first movie with  that issue was The Good Dinausor.

The tools Pixar and WDAS use are capable of rendering CGI that is just as photorealistic as any special effects studio can make.  The question is how those tools are used, what data they are given, and what additional processes are applied.  For example, the background environment in Tangled actually started out as too photorealistic for the directors, so special shaders and other plugins were developed to give the movie a more fantastical rather than literally realistic appearance.  For Frozen they used more paintings and went light on shading, depending on the scene, which gives this movie a flatter, more "graphic" look.  They could have made it photorealistic by using real textures from real life and full rendering, but that was not what they were shooting for.  Frozen II carries over the same style, except that with more time and resources available they were able to make the environment more detailed than before.  Maybe they went overboard in some scenes, but their intention was not strict photorealism; it is also possible that they chose to make certain scenes photorealistic to deliberately make the characters look out of place as an artistic choice.  For instance, it's kind of creepy and disconcerting to see Elsa on that beach, and that might well have been the directors' intention.

33 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The CGI in Toy Story 4 was crazy, just as good as Lion King.

It's not about "good" or "bad," it's about the goals and choices of the filmmakers.  If you used photographs of real leaves and rocks as textures, then the CGI is going to look a lot more photorealistic than if you used hand-painted art like WDAS very often do.  It actually takes more work, talent, and artistry to make CGI visually rich but non-photorealistic, while anyone can easily photograph real-life textures and use those.  What can be good or bad are the artistic choices of the directors.

Photorealism was obviously the right choice for the fake The Lion King since fake (but realistic-looking) live action was their goal, but arguably the wrong choice was made for The Good Dinosaur and Toy Story 4.  Both Pixar and WDAS are capable of making photorealistic or non-photorealistic CGI, but it's up to the director(s) to decide what they want for each movie.  For example, Pete Docter went quite cartoony for Inside Out, not because Pixar couldn't make it photorealistic but because cartoony was what he wanted.  I'll tell you one thing that Pixar and especially (in my opinion) WDAS can do that the animators on the fake The Lion King probably couldn't do: really good character animation (either that or they weren't allowed to do their best).

Sorry for the following to be rambly, I'm just about nearing sleep.

This is really one of the first times I've ever heard someone complain that CG characters are in too photoreal environments.

Regarding CGI backgrounds looking photoreal in Disney animated movies, I remember years ago when A Bug's Life was released, my Mom actually told me that the Tree the ants lived around looked real. Obviously tech advances and that's not the case now but one of the reasons I go to these movies is to marvel at the animation. The CG characters in photoreal environments don't bother me.  It's sorta a recurring thing with animated movies. 

However, with Good Dinosaur, there was a slight hiccup. While most CG characters in Disney and Pixar have a cartoony air to them, Good Dinosaur really, really, REALLY simplified the designs of the dinosaurs. They really looked like toys that belonged from a Disney Junior show like Puppy Dog Pals or . . .well Giganotosaurus. The following year, Pixar did Finding Dory and that had some of the best cartoon character/environmental animation hybridizations ever.

My reaction to Toy Story 4's animation was, "oh wow, that's great"

My reaction to Frozen 2's teaser of Elsa on the black pebble beach looking at the ocean was "OOOOOOOOH SHIT"

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 3