Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

People keep saying that, but I don’t see it. JL was the fifth film in the universe, and Snyder apparently had a planned story arc that would’ve spanned five films. They didn’t need to give every single member of the Justice League a solo movie beforehand. The MCU didn’t give Hawkeye or Black Widow solo movies. The problem was in the execution. It’s not like WW was hurt from having to fit into a pre-existing universe.

Of course not every member but the major heroes were treated more carefully. Iron Man (who had 2 solo movies beforehand) , Captain America and Thor, plus Hulk to a lesser degree. Justice League had only really introduced the new Superman and Wonder Woman. No one really knew what Affleck's Batman was about and then Cyborg, Flash and Aquaman were all new. Which meant going into JL with only one hero we really know, considering one person is absent for most of it. 

2 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Fair point, but he still was nowhere close to the household name status of characters like Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman. In any case, the MCU deserves all the credit for ushering this golden age of comic book films. If one happens to be a fan of superheroes, this is simply a wonderful time to be alive. 

Yeah I totally agree that MCU have done a great job at building their universe during the last decade. 

I hope that WB/DC can also get on a good course with movies like Shazam and keep their own legacy intact so all comic book fans can enjoy seeing their heroes come to life! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

LMAO

It has fun moments but was unnecessarily violent for the tone they were going for
Full Review | Original Score: 3/10

honestly this might be an issue. If Grace's review was right that there is a lot of death and it is unexpectedly dark that is a bit different then the tone that is marketed and might piss people off. 

6 minutes ago, ban1o said:

honestly this might be an issue. If Grace's review was right that there is a lot of death and it is unexpectedly dark that is a bit different then the tone that is marketed and might piss people off. 

Not really. Having seen the movie it's like....two scenes at most, that's it.

• Like 1

Yeah, the movie is a bit on the violent/dark side at times for something that was overall trying to be lighthearted. Not sure how that will affect it with families. I liked it OK, but also it's really campy. In a lot of ways it feels like it's from the 90's era of CBM B movies, except it has more heart than those did.

Not sure what I thought of that approach personally, at times it was hard not to feel like the movie was completely unaware of the last 15 years or so of CBM evolution. Really liked the cast, though my biggest gripe with the movie is probably with how big of a disconnect there is with kid Billy and adult Billy's characters. I liked both of their performances, but there's nothing believable whatsoever that Angel and Levi are playing the same character. Has a lot of fun in it though and a good message. Very far behind Wonder Woman for me, but on the same level as Aquaman (though the two movies are polar opposites in terms of what I like about them). 

Edited by MovieMan89

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Not really. Having seen the movie it's like....two scenes at most, that's it.

I also think the scenes with a darker tone are some of the best scenes in the movie.  Sandberg’s horror roots being able to let loose a bit.  Honestly I feel like the movie as a whole would’ve benefited with a different director, that was one of my few complaints about the movie.  Definitely seems like Sandberg would be better suited to something like The Trench for a DC movie than Shazam!.

Honestly, so much fun that I'm still smiling. I can see this having great word of mouth. 

You can see the lower budget it has as well, but that ends up working in the movie's favor. Forces them to be more creative instead of full on CG. Delivers a very satisfying third act inspite of that like Aquaman did because of it.

So much to like here. It's way more like the first Spider-Man movie than any current CBM, filtered through the 80s movie lens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2