Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Honestly, so much fun that I'm still smiling. I can see this having great word of mouth. 

You can see the lower budget it has as well, but that ends up working in the movie's favor. Forces them to be more creative instead of full on CG. Delivers a very satisfying third act inspite of that like Aquaman did because of it.

So much to like here. It's way more like the first Spider-Man movie than any current CBM, filtered through the 80s movie lens.

Yes, the first Spider-man is a decent comparison, though I'd argue a little more steeped in 90's camp than that was. Again, this movie feels very out of place in the current CBM landscape, and I don't know how I felt about that. 

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lmfao. You're entitled to your personal opinion on the film, but it's factual that Snyder's direction of this franchise was not well received by the GA and almost sunk it. Again, just look at the reception of all the movies he had a major hand in vs Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and now apparently this. 

Im still catching up to these so have you been thread banned yet ?

55 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The last shot got major applause and one "Are you kidding me?" when it was shown.

51 minutes ago, cax16 said:

My whole theatre literally gasped. I was laughing so hard. 

51 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

Yeah it was the perfect way to end it.

Spoiler

Is this from the end credit or the actual end of the movie before the credits roll ?

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

honestly this might be an issue. If Grace's review was right that there is a lot of death and it is unexpectedly dark that is a bit different then the tone that is marketed and might piss people off. 

Yeah, it's a really odd choice.  

I mean, this movie has *so much* that young kids will really love, but there's just one scene that, yes, is great fun to watch if you're an adult (because you're like, oh, this is a rather horrific and darkly humorous scene to stick in this particular film), but as I was watching it, I was thinking, "Oh, parents who see this are going to actively tell their friends not to take *any* of their young kids to see it."    

2 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Yeah, it's a really odd choice.  

I mean, this movie has *so much* that young kids will really love, but there's just one scene that, yes, is great fun to watch if you're an adult (because you're like, oh, this is a rather horrific and darkly humorous scene to stick in this particular film), but as I was watching it, I was thinking, "Oh, parents who see this are going to actively tell their friends not to take *any* of their young kids to see it."    

I don't think it's even that one scene that is so much the issue. More that a lot of the subject matter is really heavy for kids. Probably one of the darkest opening scenes in any comic book movie this side of TDK

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The movie is PG-13 right? So why would there be any controversy over any “violent” or “scary” parts

How dark are we talking about ? 

Doctor Strange begins with a cold blooded decapitation and the introductory villain scene in Gotg features implied death by smashing a huge hammer to the head on a pow

A lot of the "too dark, violent, and scary" criticisms remind me of the Raimi Spider-Man movies which had some pretty scary and pretty violent moments (and Raimi came from a horror background too). But those movies are why Spider-Man is so popular among kids and sells more merch than any other superhero. 

I could see Shazam being popular with kids even with the scary and violent moments too. 

Just now, Warmaster506 said:

What did he do now?

In his tweet review, he literally spoils multiple things in the film. Like, are you that dense? Like, sure, spoil the film in your full review if you want. That's expected. But good lord.