RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers (NGD 24.5M)

100FJ's box office legs reminded me of Hope Springs and that ended with 63M DOM. I wonder how high can this movie go

Let's Be Cops is having good legs too, it could match or surpass The Other Woman and  Tammy

• Like 1

Good numbers all around. And lol at the Marvel fight. Again. Cap 3 would have to make another 300M. People came to see the movie after the first Avengers because that was an event. A2 lost that status. People already know how this works out. It'll be enormous but nothing new and the boost wont be that big. 850M for Cap 3 sounds about right. Maybe 750 for Thor. 900M for Guardians 2.

• Like 1

I dunno...I have zero confidence in the US potential for Thor 3. The character has a "euro" aura and dimensional premise, and the US audience doesn't "get it". Its true that Thor 2 had Catching Fire and Best Man Holiday to deal with, but I still expected 240M to be the minimum.Overseas is where its gonna happen again. If Marvel Studios truly brings their A game this time, and gets some elite CGI animators instead of being cheap with practical costumes and makeup (where's Surtur, Mangog, Ymir...) Thor 3 could see an increase to 550-600M overseas. Add the 230M or so from another lethargic US run, and high 700's to 800M is possible. Its all up to Marvel.Listen, Cap 3 WILL NOT do a billion :D. Too many overseas markets aren't interested. The fact that the mountain of critic support and fanboy hype only won Cap 2 just 15 of the 55 markets over Thor 2 is very telling. Never mind good will and WOM. Cap 2 ALREADY had a ridiculous amount of this, yet failed to move the needle overseas except for China and South Korea. Cap 3 could do over 300M in the US, but lukewarm overseas markets will keep it just shy of a billion, probably 850-900M area.

The US audience "got" GOTG, they get Thor.  Remember,  Thor1 out-grossed CA1 in the US.  The problem with TDW is that it was a middling-to-average movie that had hefty competition.  So while it performed well, it could have done better if it's quality was on par with the other choices available.  If Thor3 is a stronger and more fluent movie, it will likely do as well as CA:TWS if not better.

• Like 3

cap 3 is going for Avenger boosted IM 3 nums. Thor is summer film and still cant beat cap on the dom or ww front . Rightt now everyons fv avenger is cap! Cap3 is going for 1bil if good. deal with it

Uh..what :)? Thor 2 came out in NOVEMBER...where it lacked the summer crowds, and had heated competition from Best Man Holiday and most importantly the highest grossing domestic of the YEAR (beating even IM3), Catching Fire. November has some big numbers, but they're critical acclaim seeking movies. Thor 2 is a summer flick, so placing it here with more serious offerings, when the crowd you're aiming for is gone by Labor Day, wasn't a great US move by Marvel Studios. Compare that to Cap 2 "facing" Bears, Gods Not Dead, Son of God, and Heaven is for Real...:D...in a pre-summer spot. Not to mention a third of the Avengers as co-stars :D! Yet it STILL got outgrossed by Thor 2 in 72 PERCENT of the markets. Cap 2 only grossing more because China and the US were big. It HAD to do that because it got smoked by Thor 2 almost everywhere ELSE :D! So this Thor fan is holding his head high! Edited by OdinSon2k14

Stealth Marvel Movie Thread in the Weekend Numbers Thread…  :ohmygod:

I'll just say… I think both Cap 3 and Thor 3 still have potential for growth in the U.S. and overseas. Hope Thor 3 is better received though. And I really hope Cap 3 progresses even further from TWS. That will be a very hard act to follow, but at least most of the creative team is returning. 

Anyways, Guardians and Turtles are doing great, Lucy's kicking all sorts of behind, and yay for Henson and Elba!! 

I think I will be taking the numb nuts to Dolphin Tale soon. 

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 1

Deadline

As Disney/Marvel celebrates Guardians of the Galaxy‘s $300M domestic milestone this weekend, Screen Gems is getting a nice reward from newcomer No Good Deed. The $13.8M-budgeted film from director Sam Miller is expected to pull in anywhere from $24.5M to $25M for the three-day weekend, marking producer Will Packer’s third No. 1 opening film of the year, having the success of Ride Along which bowed in January and Think Like a Man, Too this summer. Screen Gems’ No Good Deed, which also was produced by Lee Clay, stars Idris Elba and Taraji P. Henson. Elba was in Screen Gems’ thriller Obsessed which opened to $28.6M in April of 2009 and went onto gross $68.2M domestically. Henson, of course, is part of Packer’s Think Like a Man, Too franchise. If this picture plays like Obsessed, it will be profitable for Sony.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/box-office-guardians-soars-over-300m-no-good-deed-solid-no-1-dolphin-tale-swims-to-no-2-833891/

Edited by lyndenfl

Hmmm Thor 3 going to be better than Thor 2 and 1?

You have to ask Marvel Studios that...gotta ask them that...you cant have a Thor movie without giants, dragons, trolls, and creatures. That means top of the line CGI artist and animators such as the ones every other studio (like Legendary) seem to find :). If you're gonna shrink the Frost Giants to little blue men, and have Thor only battle men in makeup and costumes...you're not giving the character the best chance to succeed :). The old fashioned mentality of Marvel Studios may hold Thor 3 down. Look at Guardians. Any other studio would have populated that universe with a diverse collection of CGI alien freaks. Marvel keeps things down to only humanoid alien types, that they can dress an actor up in a costume for. Like, Rocket and Groot are the only different looking life forms in the entire universe :). They have to bring their technology and tv level thinking UP.
  • Like 1

With these estimates, a good number of the holdovers are looking at drops in the 20-30% range with sub 20 on the table.

1). No Good Deed (SONY), 2,175 theaters / $8.8M Fri. / 3-day est. cume: $24.5M to $25M / Wk 1

2). Dolphin Tale 2 (WB), 3,656 theaters / $4.2M Fri. / 3-day est. cume: $15M to $16M+ / Wk 1

3). Guardians of the Galaxy (DIS), 3,104 theaters (-117) / $2.1M / 3-day cume: $7.5M to $8.3M / Total cume: $305.5M / Wk 7

4). Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (PAR), 3,273 theaters (-270) / $1.1M Friday / 3-day est. cume: $4.8M to $5.1M / Total cume: $181M / Wk 6

5). Let’s Be Cops (FOX), 2,755 theaters (-177) /$1.27M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.3M to $4.5M / Total cume: $73M /Wk 5

6). The Drop (FSL), 809 theaters / $1.46M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.4M to $5M / Per screen average: $5,800 / Wk 1

7). If I Stay (WB), 3,040 theaters (-117) / $1.1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4M / Total cume: $44.9M/ Wk 4

8). The November Man (REL), 2,702 theaters (-74) / $835K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.78M / Total cume: $22.5 / Wk 3

9). The Giver (TWC), 2,253 theaters (-323)/ $733K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.6M / Total cume: $41.3M / Wk 5

10). When the Game Stands Tall (SONY), 2,435 theaters (-331) / $715K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.5M / Total cume: $26.8M / Wk 4

• Like 1

The same director having three #1 movies in one year...very impressive. How often has that ever happened?

LOL at the Marvel discussion. Of course.

No, Will Packer is a film producer. "About Last Night" also is his production, and it opened at #2 in February 2014.

Will Packer's last 8 films have opened with over $20 million at the box office.

• Like 1

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  · 19m 
THE DROP earned an estimated $1.46M from 809 theaters on Friday. The per-theater average was $1,805. #TheDrop

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  · 23m 
LET'S BE COPS earned an estimated $1.27M on Friday. Domestic total stands at $69.9M. #LetsBeCops

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1