CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I doubt Superman is going to get Zaslav’d. They have a lot riding on this. 

The films that were Zaslav'd were films he inherited upon taking over the job. All originally intended for HBO Max. All developed and greenlit under the AT&T/Jason Kilar regime.

One has to succeed or fail by their own decisions. Film Twitter and YouTube pundits can't seem to fathom this. WBD shareholders do, on the other hand.

So while I fundamentally disapprove of the call to axe Coyote vs. Acme... I understand it. 

2025 is the year everything hinges on as those are all projects exclusively fall on Zaslav's decision-making, including giving Gunn Superman which was one of his big moves.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The films that were Zaslav'd were films he inherited upon taking over the job. All originally intended for HBO Max. All developed and greenlit under the AT&T/Jason Kilar regime.

One has to succeed or fail by their own decisions. Film Twitter and YouTube pundits can't seem to fathom this. WBD shareholders do, on the other hand.

So while I fundamentally disapprove of the call to axe Coyote vs. Acme... I understand it. 

2025 is the year everything hinges on as those are all projects exclusively fall on Zaslav's decision-making, including giving Gunn Superman which was one of his big moves.

I could’ve sworn I remember hearing that the Wile E. Coyote movie was meant for a theatrical release on July 21st 2023, before Barbenheimer took that date, but it’s hard to keep track of which films under AT&T were meant for theaters and which were meant for streaming. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont think Zaslav will interfere in Gunn's domain unless Supes disappoints. Then all bets are off. Until then I think DCU would be safe. That said its not something you be cocky at this point when you have achieved nothing. 

He will absolutely interfere.  Every big budget film has interference.

• Like 2

If supes disappoints I think they will can everything and only do standalone films for their household names.

Which would probably be a good call. The ground is getting really shaky for SH genre and I'm skeptical the ground is even fertile for a new universe to be built from the ground up. If supe fails, I don't see much hope for the rest of their slate.

40 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

If supes disappoints I think they will can everything and only do standalone films for their household names.

Which would probably be a good call. The ground is getting really shaky for SH genre and I'm skeptical the ground is even fertile for a new universe to be built from the ground up. If supe fails, I don't see much hope for the rest of their slate.

i not sure the movie will do that good at box office , similar to Batman Begins, quality could still be high though

15 hours ago, JWR said:

Very true, though it depends on what Zaslav defines as a disappointment. Perhaps they don't interfere with Superman: Legacy because Superman is a safe bet and it's a big hit. So we're good there.

But what if these tax write offs continue and one of them is a DCU project that sounds promising? Or a creator Gunn and Safran try to get ducks out because they don't want their work to get shelved? 

Now maybe it won't come to that, but reason is there to trust Zaslav and Co at this point?

He has no reason to trust Zaslav, he’s already proven not to care for the medium and he ruthless. He will absolutely interfere.

The Coyote movie that got Zaslav’d had direct participation from Gunn himself in it by the way, I wonder how he’s feeling about that right now.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

He has no reason to trust Zaslav, he’s already proven not to care for the medium and he ruthless. He will absolutely interfere.

The Coyote movie that got Zaslav’d had direct participation from Gunn himself in it by the way, I wonder how he’s feeling about that right now.

Not happy with the news, but likely keeping quiet so as to not anger the boss. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

It mentions her as part of the "villain team", which means it's the Authority. It's What's So Funny About Truth Justice and the American Way but with the actual Authority instead of a parody of them.

25a.jpg

(seriously a TJatAW quasi-adaptation is almost too on the nose, all things considered)

((that being said, "I'm in"))

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 5:14 AM, Arlborn said:

TO be fair, interefeing if he sees things going wrong with a huge budget film is part of a studio's head job. Hie first duty is to the studio stockholders, not the filmmakers. If a film for example, is going wildly over budget it is his job to find out what the hell is going on.

its a business, not a charitable insituion for the arts.

And I can't stand Zaslve and wish he were out of there. 

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 5:49 PM, ZattMurdock said:

Yeah Kroll knows his stuff. I don’t see Nicholas Hoult as Clark or Superman, but I trust Gunn regardless. I do think he does have the look to pull off Lex Luthor.

On 6/9/2023 at 12:16 AM, ZattMurdock said:

Borys Kit is not only extremely well connected, but knows his superhero stuff and has an insane track record with both Marvel and DC scoops. I might actually side with him if there is a divergence between the two scoops. 

He was also the one breaking this:

If he is saying that Hoult is actually angling for Lex, it makes a lot of sense to me. Younger than I was expecting for Luthor, but at same time I didn’t want Bradley Cooper to play Lex either so… intriguing. The Superman / Lois / Lex bizarre love triangle aspect was never actually explored in live action like it did on several iterations of the characters in the comics, here is hoping that Gunn is being inspired not only by Morrison, but John Byrne’s, Mark Waid’s and Dan Jurgens Supes as well.

On 6/26/2023 at 6:10 PM, ZattMurdock said:

Huh. This would be inspired casting:

I actually think Nicholas Hoult’s rumors of actually aiming for Lex makes even more sense now. He does look like one of the Skaregard’s lost American brother.

On 6/26/2023 at 6:36 PM, ZattMurdock said:

I’m glad if this is true because I do think that from looks alone, they are the most perfect for the role when it comes to Clark and Lois. I trust Gunn with his casting of Luther too, and I still insist that Hoult should consider playing Luthor.

On 7/28/2023 at 3:46 PM, ZattMurdock said:

This screams fan casting to me. I doubt agents would be throwing that info around at such a sensitive time like this. This is unlike Jeff Sneider discovering a negotiation prior to the strikes like the Glover bros taking over screenwriting duties on Lando followed by all the trades confirming it, it’s MTSH’s troll account seeing a redhead white kid and saying yeah, this is a contender for Jimmy Olsen. Reminder that the same account said that Nicholas Hoult 100% had the Superman role over David Corenswet.

Reminder that a great Jimmy Olsen’s take doesn’t need him to necessarily be a redhead kid:

https___hiddenremote.com_files_image-exc

Huh.