CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

I'm still not vibing with this whole "Younger Lex" thing...(I was a big fan of "Smallville"'s take, but even there Luthor was meant to be at least 5-6 years older than Clark).  Hoult is 34, but could pass for 28.  Gene Hackman was at least 46 when he first played Luthor.  Spacey was around the same age.  Eisenberg has unfortunately scared me off young Luthors until proven otherwise.  But I have a little more faith in Hoult.  A little. 

Edited by Macleod

On 12/11/2023 at 2:16 PM, WittyUsername said:

Lex doesn’t need to be 20+ years older than Superman. They’ve been childhood friends in the comics. 

Agreed, the age was not what made the Lex in BvS such a lousy take on Luthor.

If memory serves, was'n there a plotline in "SMallville" where the young teen age Luthor basically get the hots for Annete O;Toole as Marths Kent?

Not that I blame Lex; O'Toole as Martha Kent was a MILF if ever there was one.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Agreed, the age was not what made the Lex in BvS such a lousy take on Luthor.

If memory serves, was'n there a plotline in "SMallville" where the young teen age Luthor basically get the hots for Annete O;Toole as Marths Kent?

Not that I blame Lex; O'Toole as Martha Kent was a MILF if ever there was one.

No, that was Lex's father, Lionel Luthor that had a thing for Martha Kent.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hoult as a villain seems… strange. He’s always kinda gotten by on likable type of roles… even with Mad Max 

Lex doesn’t always have to be an unlikeable moustache twirling villain. Just look at Michael Rosenbaum’s take on Lex in Smallville, he’s likeable but with a dark side, and even sympathetic at times. They’re probably going for a similar sort of character type with Hoult and playing on the fact that he’s generally seen as likeable.

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Lex doesn’t always have to be an unlikeable moustache twirling villain. Just look at Michael Rosenbaum’s take on Lex in Smallville, he’s likeable but with a dark side, and even sympathetic at times. They’re probably going for a similar sort of character type with Hoult and playing on the fact that he’s generally seen as likeable.

Honestly they could take a page from the MCU and make him the Loki of the DCU...

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

Honestly, it's so fucking refreshing to see some actual direction and leadership at DC now. James Gunn is a no-bullshit leader who will waste no time debunking wild rumours before they spread everywhere. It's such a stark contrast to the Johns+Berg and Hamada eras where everyone and everything was getting a new movie every hour and weird, obscure characters were getting priority over fixing the classic heroes. For Allah's sake, Hamada was giving the fucking Wonder Twins and Black Canary their own movies before even thinking about getting Henry Cavill back as Superman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Honestly, it's so fucking refreshing to see some actual direction and leadership at DC now. James Gunn is a no-bullshit leader who will waste no time debunking wild rumours before they spread everywhere. It's such a stark contrast to the Johns+Berg and Hamada eras where everyone and everything was getting a new movie every hour and weird, obscure characters were getting priority over fixing the classic heroes. For Allah's sake, Hamada was giving the fucking Wonder Twins and Black Canary their own movies before even thinking about getting Henry Cavill back as Superman.

I think in the end the Cavill thing just came down to both parties having completely different visions for the character. Cavill and his team felt like he was a star and a draw and wanted a solo movie, Hamada and Co wanted to test that theory through more cameo appearances leading up to a solo. And Cavill wanted control over his character since he felt he had been done wrong post MoS. At that same time, Hamada wanted to see his vision through to Crisis. Both of them just got stuck in their corners.

• Like 3