Olive

Avengers: Age of Ultron OS Thread | $945.7M OS | $1.405B WW

For french data I found this but it's not official and AOU's numbers exclude premieres (hence the lower OD) and correspond to around 90-92% of admissions because not all chains reported.

Day / 50 SHADES / FAST & FURIOUS 7 / AVENGERS 2

Wedi : 342 010 / 323 085 / 281 325
Thurs : 246 685 / 162 177 / 207 434
Fri: 282 698 / 268 659 / 218 858
Sat : 428 584 / 457 948 / 334 322

Edited by Cynosure

The Marvel Studios tentpole signalled an early indication of its global potential, while Fast & Furious 7 crossed $1bn for Universal in a mammoth box office session.

WALT DISNEY STUDIOS MOTION PICTURES INTERNATIONAL

Disney unleashed Avengers: Age Of Ultron in its first international foray and while this was not a blanket release – 44 territories represents 55% of the marketplace and the film debuts in North America this week – it demolished the competition.

Fast & Furious 7 continued its glorious run via Universal Pictures International, adding $69.7m in the fourth weekend to become only the third film to cross $1bn internationally and reach $1.001bn and $1.322bn worldwide.

Universal’s behemoth is the fifth biggest global release of all time. The Avengers ranks number three in the pantheon and there is the sense Marvel’s sequel will usurp its predecessor.

Avengers: Age Of Ultron tore out of the gate and opened number one in every territory and tracks roughly 44% ahead of the 2012 original compared to the same bucket of territories when adjusted for inflation.

The eleventh release in the Marvel Cinematic Universe scored the biggest Western debut and the industry’s second biggest debut in South Korea on $28.2m, claiming 91% market share.

In the UK $27.3m delivered the biggest opening of a superhero film, biggest April debut, biggest launch in 2015 so far and biggest Imax opening ($2.1m from 32 screens).

Russia’s $16.2m was being touted as possibly the biggest opening weekend in history although final figures will confirm whether it beat the previous arrival of Fast & Furious 7.

A pair of $13.1m debuts resulted in the industry’s second biggest opening ever and a new record for a Disney/Marvel release in Brazil and the industry’s third biggest opening in Australia.

In other notable achievements, Ultron scored record industry opening weekends in Philippines ($7.7m) and Hong Kong ($6.4m) and the second biggest industry debut in India ($7.7m), Argentina ($4.9m), Singapore ($3.6m) and Vietnam.

France generated $12.4m, while $9.3m from Germany produced the biggest debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Italy delivered $8.5m and Malaysia $5.8m.

Ultron rewrote the record books for the release of a superhero adaptation in Scandinavia. The tentpole opens this week in Mexico and Spain and a further 20 territories. China is set for May 12 and Japan July 4.

Imax registered a record for the largest non-China international opening of all-time on $10.4m from 175 screens with a $60,000 per-screen average. Interstellar set the previous mark on $7.19m.

There were record Imax debuts in the UK as reported earlier, South Korea on $1.6m from 15 screens, Philippines on $650,000 from eight, Hong Kong on $420,000 from four, Brazil on $410,000 from 11, India on $170,000 from four and Indonesia on $165,000 from four.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/ultron-storms-to-2012m-intl/5086998.article?blocktitle=LATEST-INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

• Like 2

OMG the French number..It's a disaster, TA1 got $19m OW..the Exchange Rate can't explain that alone! Most of it but I guess admissions slightly decreased..

What a disappointement! This country, seriously......Thank God other countries performed better.

Edited by Fullbuster

OMG the French number..It's a disaster, TA1 got $19m OW..the Exchange Rate can't explain that alone! Most of it but I guess admissions slightly decreased..

What a disappointement! This country, seriously......Thank God other countries performed better.

It will be the first Marvel sequel to decrease in admissions in France compared to the previous one (Capitain America, Iron Man...they all increased).

Edited by Cynosure

It will be the first Marvel sequel to decrease in admissions in France compared to the previous one.

Honestly, I expected nothing from the French market in a long time and this time I really had some hope about it, and when I'm counting on it it disappoints me. In the trash bin!

Edited by Fullbuster

It's happened many times.

WW winners:

TS3 (#3 OS)

TTT (#2 OS)

Shrek 2 (#2 OS)

The ones who won their respective years worldwide but weren't number 1 overseas. They all happen to have been beaten by the Potter films.

Ah! The potter movies were uncomparable and unbeatable OS. Who knows how much they'd have made today.

Nice opening in India, could have been a bit more if not for the earthquake in the northern part of the country.

Could had been a bit more in India if FF7 didn't explode or if AOU had been dubbed a bit more nicely, still pretty decent opening.

Edited by Meitantei

Honestly, I expected nothing from the French market in a long time and this time I really had some hope about it, and when I'm counting on it it disappoints me. In the trash bin!

Except for rare exceptions, there's not much room to expand beyond the 4-4.5 million admissions for superhero movies in France and weariness must be kicking in is all.

Also, as I said, reviews are mixed at best.

Edited by Cynosure

Notable opening frame Ultron benchmarks:

Korea: At $28.2M, the biggest Western industry opening weekend of all time and 2nd biggest industry opening weekend ever with a heroic 91% market share and a start that is 106% above Avengers and 37% above Iron Man 3.

Russia: Currently estimated at $16.2M, Ultron looks like the biggest industry opening weekend of all time, although it will be a close race with Furious 7 which held the distinction coming ito the frame. Ultron was 77% above Avengers and 8% above Iron Man 3 in the market where the ruble has dropped an estimated 46% against the dollar.

Australia: Oz’s $13.1M bow is the 3rd biggest industry opening weekend ever and biggest ever Marvel/Disney opening weekend at 15% above Avengers and 9% above Iron Man 3. [RTH has it updated to ~ $13.3m]

UK/Ireland: Biggest superhero movie opening weekend of all time at $27.3M. Also the top April opening ever; highest opening of 2015 and strongest IMAX opening ever. Beat Avengers by 13% and Iron Man 3 by 31%.

France: With the No. 1 opening weekend of 2015 at $12.4M, Ultron was up 9% on Avengers, but 6% below Iron Man 3. Both opened on holiday weekends, Disney notes. [Ed: How is this up? Admissions?]

Germany: Biggest opening weekend ever for the Marvel Cinematic Universe at $9.3M; 36% above Avengers, 11% above Iron Man 3.

Brazil: The No. 2 industry opening weekend of all time was clocked at $13.1M and gave Marvel/Disney its biggest opening weekend at 45% over Avengers and 29% above Iron Man 3.

Argentina: No. 2 biggest Marvel opening weekend of all time on an admissions basis (Avengers is still tops). The total here was $4.9M.

Italy: With an $8.5M debut, this is the only major market where Ultron came in lower than its comps at 7% below Avengers and 11% below Iron Man 3, both of which opened on holiday weekends.

Elsewhere, Ultron scored the biggest industry opening weekends of all time in Hong Kong ($6.4M) and the Philippines ($7.7M). India was also notable as the No. 2 biggest debut frame ever with $7.7M and a 156% increase on Avengers. In that typically inward-facing market, Disney reportedly partnered with a record-breaking 50 brands across various categories to help promote the film.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/international-box-office-avengers-age-of-ultron-furious-7-paul-blart-home-1201416588/

• Like 2

AOU is opening in 55% this weekend how much did TA open in?

F7 opened to higher, but was it in more countries?

200M is strong considering "weak" currency in Europe.

More international markets will roll out Ultron next weekend including Spain, Mexico, Portugal, Croatia, Czech Rep, Greece, Lebanon, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Thailand, Trinidad, Panama, Venezuela, Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Chile and Colombia, along with the highly anticipated North American opening. China will open on May 12th due to a local holiday next weekend and Japan will open on July 4.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/news/2015-04-26-global-report-avengers-age-of-ultron-off-to-hot-start-furious-7-crosses-1-billion-overseas-becomes-1-movie-of-all-time-in-china

I assume 55% is the percentage of territories  not percentage of potential BO(market share). Looking at TA1's openings in the remaining markets, sans china and japan, it adds up to just 41m in OW's. subtract Russia(16m, it opened a week later) to have a proper comparison to FF7 and you get just more 26m from those territories. 227m total if the same markets opened as FF7. FF7 wins the weekend. If this is correct then I assume FF7 wins OS with ease assuming shorter legs then of course there is the china boom.

Vive la France!