grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

If only the movie had got bad reviews and flopped, maybe the extreme troll bait going on in the thread would have worked. As it is, the people who liked the movie don’t feel a need to engage in the online fights since the movie pleased a vast majority of critics and audiences.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

The CGI was definitely an #asethetic, but I would not call it bad. For me, it read Final Fantasy with Its use of blue / cool tones. I would have liked to see the Oasis brighter (especially in the last battle) to more contrast the dystopian real world. But that’s just peference.

Edited by captainwondyful
Let’s spell contrast right

Even though the overall response has been positive, does anyone feel like some critics had their knives sharpened for this movie? If you read some of the negative reviews, some of these people actually say they went into the film with negative expectations. That's a horrible attitude to have, especially for a "professional" film critic.

I hope I don't sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist....

Edited by HockeyPads
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HockeyPads said:

Even though the overall response has been positive, does anyone feel like some critics had their knives sharpened for this movie? If you read some of the negative reviews, some of these people actually say they went into the film with negative expectations. That's a horrible attitude to have, especially for a "professional" film critic.

This movie definitely had a backlash ready to go from the moment it was announced. It was just a continuation of the backlash from the book but it was supposed to be a lot bigger since movies are obviously more in evidence than books in the press.

The movie being a well-received Spielberg blockbuster definitely put a dent on the backlash.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, HockeyPads said:

I was....skeptical going into it to a point, which anyone would've known if they saw my posts in this thread. I still ended up finding it decent. 

I'll give the avatars in this credit: no distracting uncanny valley stuff going on here. 

600 seems like a safe bet for RPO atm. Looks around the least it will do,

145 Dom

235 Ch

220 OS-Ch (185 current OS-Ch using 2.8x multi off the ow + 20 J + 15 Germany)

= 600

650-700 alive too especially if China crosses 250

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 4

On 03/04/2018 at 6:34 PM, grim22 said:

If only the movie had got bad reviews and flopped, maybe the extreme troll bait going on in the thread would have worked. As it is, the people who liked the movie don’t feel a need to engage in the online fights since the movie pleased a vast majority of critics and audiences.

That's exactly how I feel.  I loved it but don't feel the need to defend it.  I know what I liked about it and if others don't get the same pleasure, so be it.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's exactly how I feel.  I loved it but don't feel the need to defend it.  I know what I liked about it and if others don't get the same pleasure, so be it.  

I kind of feel that way about every movie I like or dislike

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

For me, I don't feel the need to defend it either. I already made my points. I'm just mainly glad I saw it. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Yeesh. Six negative reviews in a row have been posted on RT. The critic score has gone down to a 74% now. It's not a big deal or anything, but it's crazy how far the movie has fallen from the mid-80s score that it had a few days before release. 

Actually, it started out rotten, so if you look at it that way it's crazy how much higher it still is...

Spielberg's popcorn flicks are destined to get 70 something critical reception for the rest of his days.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Yeesh. Six negative reviews in a row have been posted on RT. The critic score has gone down to a 74% now. It's not a big deal or anything, but it's crazy how far the movie has fallen from the mid-80s score that it had a few days before release. 

The RT score has kind of been all over the place. It started off lukewarm, then it got a bunch of positive reviews after, than when it came out officially a bunch of negatives came in.

Jumanji's amazing run probably took took interest away from RPO. People just saw another movie (Jumanji) with heavy video game elements just a few months ago, and some might not be up for another so soon.

RPO originally had a release date to go up against The Last Jedi first before moving away and letting Jumanji be the one to go up against TLJ over the holidays. Seemed like a bad decision to move it.

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Jumanji's amazing run probably took took interest away from RPO. People just saw another movie (Jumanji) with heavy video game elements just a few months ago, and some might not be up for another so soon.

RPO originally had a release date to go up against The Last Jedi first before moving away and letting Jumanji be the one to go up against TLJ over the holidays. Seemed like a bad decision to move it.

stewie-head-turn.gif?ssl=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Not really, WB probably thought it would be better not to go against Star Wars and also likely Spielberg wanted more time for the visual effects to be finished. 

8 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

For me, I don't feel the need to defend it either. I already made my points. I'm just mainly glad I saw it. 

So many people were gunning for it to be a flop or terrible but have remained quietly when it's been received well and performed well. 

• Like 3