Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Didn't even realize it was released today in France...At this point of release, 5 years ago I had already seen Prometheus. Prove how much I care...

And HBO First Look just spoils what happened to Shaw. LOL. No fucks given too.

Edited by dashrendar44

1 hour ago, dashrendar44 said:

Didn't even realized it was released today in France...At this point of release, 5 years ago I had already seen Prometheus. Prove how much I care...

And HBO First Look just spoils what happened to Shaw. LOL. No fucks given too.

Yeah I didn't know either it was released today in Indonesia. While I was aware that King Arthur was also released on the same day, thanks to the posters and trailers. Poor marketing for Alien Covenant.

But I'm still gonna see both maybe next week, since this week I'll be enjoying movies at the European Film Festival. They are screening Elle, Toni Erdmann, Son of Saul, Mustang and other much more interesting movies.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 2

Just watch it at previews.

First of all, let me say that I'm a big fan of the franchise, I really, really loved Prometheus, and that's one of the reasons I can not even express how disappointed I am after watching this movie.

When you choose to focus on action, instead of ideas, we can at least expect some creativity, right? Well, that's not the case. Apart of the spectacular, insane, and super gore first attack, there is basically nothing more in terms of tension or horror. In fact, it's kind of sad to realize how Scott not only does not know how to scare the audience anymore, but that he also "learned" the worst thing about most horror movies, when Horror is on the front line, instead of being Subjective.

The reason the original movie worked so well was basically because we could barely see the creature, our imagination is always the scariest thing. Unfortunately, here, ever since his "birth", Alien is always out of the shadows, how can I fear for something that is always appearing? Not even the deaths are creative, considering that we have seen the same people dying the same way a thousand times before.

Scott also did something that I thought was impossible, he was able to create "scientists" even sillier than those we saw in Prometheus, if I were a scientist, I would be really offended by the intellect of these characters. Some of their actions are so dumb that it is almost offensive.

I usually do not care about the complaint about the lack of character development in this type of movie, but this has taken this to another level, there are some characters who do not even speak throughout the movie, and that sex scene deserves some kind of new category at Razzie Awards.

And I'm not even talk at how they trowed away to garbage almost every question asked in Prometheus because that's too much to me.

This is a disappointment on every level.

D

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

First of all, let me say that I'm a big fan of the franchise, I really, really loved Prometheus, and that's one of the reasons I can not even express how disappointed I am after watching this movie.

When you choose to focus on action, instead of ideas, we can at least expect some creativity, right? Well, that's not the case. Apart of the spectacular, insane, and super gore first attack, there is basically nothing more in terms of tension or horror. In fact, it's kind of sad to realize how Scott not only does not know how to scare the audience anymore, but that he also "learned" the worst thing about most horror movies, when Horror is on the front line, instead of being Subjective.

The reason the original movie worked so well was basically because we could barely see the creature, our imagination is always the scariest thing. Unfortunately, here, ever since his "birth", Alien is always out of the shadows, how can I fear for something that is always appearing? Not even the deaths are creative, considering that we have seen the same people dying the same way a thousand times before.

Scott also did something that I thought was impossible, he was able to create "scientists" even sillier than those we saw in Prometheus, if I were a scientist, I would be really offended by the intellect of these characters. Some of their actions are so dumb that it is almost offensive.

I usually do not care about the complaint about the lack of character development in this type of movie, but this has taken this to another level, there are some characters who do not even speak throughout the movie, and that sex scene deserves some kind of new category at Razzie Awards.

And I'm not even talk at how they trowed away to garbage almost every question asked in Prometheus because that's too much to me.

D

Very good review. More so than anything else I've read, this convinced me I'm not going to like this movie. The signs have been there for a while that this was going to have the exact same flaws as Prometheus and you pretty much confirmed that. I'M NOT GETTING BURNED AGAIN.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I hope Ridley decides to leave the franchise alone after this. Some people may still enjoy it but it's clear that there aren't really any more interesting directions to take the universe. 

Sorry. I think there ls going to be about three more at least 

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

D

But Xenomorphs man, its got those right? And chestbursters and facerape crawlers? How can you not like the movie!

41 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Very good review. More so than anything else I've read, this convinced me I'm not going to like this movie. The signs have been there for a while that this was going to have the exact same flaws as Prometheus and you pretty much confirmed that. I'M NOT GETTING BURNED AGAIN.

Better idea: see the movie yourself and find out what you're going to get.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I hope Ridley decides to leave the franchise alone after this. Some people may still enjoy it but it's clear that there aren't really any more interesting directions to take the universe. 

There are 2 more sequels after Covenant

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

D

Ugh, this is exactly what I was afraid of with this movie. I too loved Prometheus and its ambition, and I really believe there were some fantastic paths open for the sequel to go in. But no, 75% of the fanbase had to nitpick stupid supporting characters and that the movie didn't answer enough questions. So now we get a brainless Alien horror film instead of Prometheus 2 (with apparently even stupider supporting characters). Hope I feel differently than you, but I doubt it based on what I've seen so far. Such a waste of potential. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, this is exactly what I was afraid of with this movie. I too loved Prometheus and its ambition, and I really believe there were some fantastic paths open for the sequel to go in. But no, 75% of the fanbase had to nitpick stupid supporting characters and that the movie didn't answer enough questions. So now we get a brainless Alien horror film instead of Prometheus 2 (with apparently even stupider supporting characters). Hope I feel differently than you, but I doubt it based on what I've seen so far. Such a waste of potential. 

But this one kept the stupid supporting characters so the problem is not the fanbase.

7 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

D

Skimmed your reaction and I hope I feel a lot differently then this. Only expecting a fun gory monster movie, which is what it's looked like from the trailers. I never expected anything overly ambitious and I was very mixed on Prometheus.

I know it's great to expect a lot more but none of the marketing has pointed in that direction. As far as the horror stuff, I'm fine with seeing so much of the xenomorphs as long as the CGI is solid. Still expecting a Kong like response to this so far regarding the characters. 

Hope it's fun!

Edited by somebody85

Now I know how the DC fans feel in the WW thread :lol: You guys are putting too much stock in Raphael's review. Many critics disagree with him and contradict some of his points while others agree with him. See the damn movie yourself and form your own opinion.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Better idea: see the movie yourself and find out what you're going to get.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Now I know how the DC fans feel in the WW thread :lol: You guys are putting too much stock in Raphael's review. Many critics disagree with him and contradict some of his points while others agree with him. See the damn movie yourself and form your own opinion.

I know reading reviews and watching trailers aren't the same as watching the movie, but at this stage that's all there is to get to go off of, and based on the reviews and trailers for this I'm not excited or interested in watching this. I'll see it eventually, but I'm not going to go to a theater and spend money on a movie that doesn't appeal to me, which seems perfectly reasonable.