grim22

The Greatest Showman | PT Barnum Biopic starring Hugh Jackman. Fox releasing. Christmas 2017

On 12/8/2017 at 2:25 PM, MovieMan89 said:

It really does look like that rare kind of Xmas wide release that goes sub 30m, ala Nine. Something like 7/25 wouldn't shock me. What's the budget? 

I would make fun of myself, but the marketing for this really was that bad and the opening showed it. Fox should be ashamed of themselves for nearly blowing this easy hit. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Over $90m Dom after the 3-Day MLK weekend?

I don't know that I buy the $130m talk just yet. 

Should be closer to 95m after Monday - and over 100m by next weekend. 120m is done unless it just outright collapses between now and it's close.

• Like 2

The soundtrack is set to repeat as the #1 album in the country this week. Also, four of the songs entered the Top 100:

No. 83, "This Is Me," Keala Settle & The Greatest Showman Ensemble
No. 85, "Rewrite the Stars," Zac Efron & Zendaya
No. 88, "Never Enough," Loren Allred
No. 95, "The Greatest Show," Hugh Jackman, Keala Settle, Zac Efron, Zendaya & The Greatest Showman Ensemble

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

Yeah, this seems to have done pretty decent.

If this bothers you...Parental Guidance made 77m.  Alvin and the Chipmjnks made 217m.  Alvin and the mother fucking Chipminks 2 made 219m!

So, cut this movie some slack.  Huge Jackman is awesome.

PS: no I have not seen this movie.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/94eee5a5-acc7-4d98-8113-3164ecb63f65

Yes, I’m quoting GB 2016.  I’m like, totally ok with that movie.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 2

On 12/8/2017 at 8:13 PM, EmpireCity said:

Fox is more than happy to have more theaters for Ferdinand instead of showing this.  I think that is a pretty good indication of what they think of the movie.  

It's interesting that Fox seemed to be so wrong about their own film.

I'm happy about its success and I'm looking forward to watching it. The soundtrack is fun.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/jumanji-star-wars-the-last-jedi-shape-of-water-coco-darkest-hour-insidious-weekend-results-international-box-office-1202242887/

Hugh Jackman and the gang drummed up

$15.2M in 71 markets this frame to bring the offshore total on the showbiz origins story to just over $100M. There were no major market additions for the musical this session, but holds were very strong. The UK dipped 13% to cume $18.2M to date; Australia was down 16% for $12.6M so far; and Spain fell off by 4% for a $5M running cume. The UK and Australia lead play with Mexico at $9.6M, Korea at $9.1M and Russia at $6.5M and holding onto the No. 3 slot locally. Still to take a bow are France, China and Japan.

As of today:

Domestic:  $94,553,868    48.6%
Foreign:  $100,119,498    51.4%

Worldwide:  $194,673,366  

It's expected to be at over $97 M domestic by the end of Monday; should hit $100M Wednesday or Thursday.

$250M WW is the floor at this point, and it should far surpass it. Over $300M looks likely.

NOW can I say it's going to easily recoup its budget?

Edited by KC7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

44 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

$300m WW makes this a pretty huge success. Fox can't have spent but mere shekels on that pathetic marketing campaign, so the $84m budget should basically be what they spent. 

For an original musical, it's fantastic, only La La Land did more and it's insane that Pasek and Paul now that two hit movie musicals under their name plus Dear Evan Hansen.

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

$300m WW makes this a pretty huge success. Fox can't have spent but mere shekels on that pathetic marketing campaign, so the $84m budget should basically be what they spent. 

Ill be honest, pathetic marketing campaigns are still expensive.

That being said...I’d consider this movie successful.  Very nice run.

4 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

This is a great win for Fox and Hugh.

Hugh is too good an actor to not have more $100m films w/o being Wolverine.

Eddie the Eagle was a fun film. Granted it's more of a wait for DVD film but it should've done more than it did. 

Now that you mention it, it's a very good sign that he's got another $100M hit after being done with Wolverine. Studios will continue to trust his public appeal.

• Like 2