grim22

Weekend #s: Neeson 40.4M, Selma 11.2, ITW 9.75, Hobbit 9.4, Unbroken 8.3. All #s pg 15. Happy now Kayu?

ok going to watch a movie but whaatttt? which one of those screeners won't put me to sleep ?

something happy or lighter than american sniper with no one dying preferably ?

you guys have 10 mn to suggest something among oscar potentials 

Edited by LadyEvenstar22
  • Like 1

ok going to watch a movie but whaatttt? which one of those screeners won't put me to sleep ?

Birdman.

eh ok theory it is ... i'll buzz back in 2 hrs !

cjohn birdman i'm sure has swearing in it , don't want any of that either , i need something that will reconnect me with my faith in the human psyche that lets us glimpse we could be so much more if we didnt pass 99% of our time being petty with each other for a piece of land or this or that excuse du jour !

• Like 1

cjohn birdman i'm sure has swearing in it , don't want any of that either , i need something that will reconnect me with my faith in the human psyche that lets us glimpse we could be so much more if we didnt pass 99% of our time being petty with each other for a piece of land or this or that excuse du jour !

Definitely Theory :) hope you can have a peaceful couple of hours of escapism.

• Like 1

Definitely Theory of Everything then.

• Like 1

Unbroken mustve really fell off. Over Xmas, BOM was elading that it could wind up with over $160M, and now they say $110M. Seems pretty premature in hindsight.

It's already at $101.6m. Of course it's gonna soar past $110m.

• Like 1

15m would have been "passable" for Selma, but 11m is borderline bad. This is a very well done biopic of one of the most important and known figures in American history. Throw in the Christian element and the fact that it's close to MLK day and it should have been beyond an easy sell. A far easier sell than something like The Imitation Game, which is doing better thanks to smart marketing and awards rollout. Not only that, but if they had played the game right for awards season like all the other big contenders did, it would be a major force to be reckoned with instead of slipping out of the race entirely like has been happening. Paramount definitely fucked up with it. Shameful too since it's a brilliant film with one of the best performances of the decade.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

It's already at $101.6m. Of course it's gonna soar past $110m.

Unbroken mustve really fell off. Over Xmas, BOM was saying that it could wind up with over $160M, and now they say $110M. Seems pretty premature in hindsight.

• Like 1

Unbroken mustve really fell off. Over Xmas, BOM was elading that it could wind up with over $160M, and now they say $110M. Seems pretty premature in hindsight.

Unbroken started off big on Christmas day but after the big opening day it has been following Benjamin Button's dailies really closely. A finish within 5M of Button looks likely depending on whether it gets any Oscar attention.

We have a new number two film worldwide. THG: M I has also passed the 700 M mark.

Rank Title (click to view) Studio*

Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / %
1 Transformers: Age of Extinction Par. $1,087.4 $245.4 22.6% $842.0 77.4%
4 The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies WB $781.8 $236.5 30.3% $545.3 69.7%
2 Guardians of the Galaxy BV $772.7 $333.1 43.1% $439.6 56.9%
3 Maleficent BV $757.8 $241.4 31.9% $516.3 68.1%
5 X-Men: Days of Future Past Fox $748.1 $233.9 31.3% $514.2 68.7%
6 Captain America: The Winter Soldier BV $714.1 $259.8 36.4% $454.3 63.6%
7 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Sony $709.0 $202.9 28.6% $506.1 71.4%
8 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Fox $708.8 $208.5 29.4% $500.3 70.6%
9 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 LGF $701.1 $329.5 47.0% $371.6 53.0%
10 Interstellar Par. $662.1 $184.8 27.9% $477.4 72.1%

No animated in the top 10, when was the last time this happened?

Lol I'm bad I ended up watching Fox New series EMPIRE which I enjoyed a lot then I turned my laptop off went to living room turned the tv on and ended up watching a movie called where angels fear to thread on Sundance channel for about 30'm then I remembered the golden globes red carpet on E! Channel so I'm watching that ,can't miss n

Bitching about who's wearing what blah blah blah

Edited by LadyEvenstar22

The King's Speech

The Imitation Game (likely)

Philomena

Silver Linings Playbook

The Descendants

Slumdog Millionaire

Little Miss Sunshine

The Queen

Sideways

Lost in Translation 

In the Bedroom

All from this century.

With how small Selma's OW is, I don't see why people would consider an 11x impossible during Oscar season. It's got an A+ cinemascore, it's got MLK day next week, and some Oscar nods are likely. 

When Selma manages $90-110 million DOM after everyone changed their mind to a doomsday predict of $60-65 million, I'll just shake my head. Oscar contenders don't need a big weekend to have huge legs. 

I would agree an 11x from a $20-25 million OW would be a bit far-fetched unless it developed some Frozen or Avatar-esque legs. But from $11-12 million? That's right in range with most Oscar bait films if it gets that ($121-132 million) 

I dont see a single direct comparisons with selma. Most of the movies  you have put had gradual expansions where it built on WOM and then further expansions helped it grossed more. Slumdog and Kings Speech rode is huge awards campgain right through January. Plus Slumdog and Kings Speech had grossed quite a bit more than Selma by new  year.

Selma expanded way too big before it built any kind of momentum and I dont see any point in further expansion when its already nationwide with 2K+ theaters with meh PTA. Plus it did not have any awards momentum with it having won nothing so far. I doubt it will come close to 100M. Next weekend it will do very well. After that I am expecting it to drop and have normal run.

Cinemascore should be banned as a supporting evidence as its useless. Polling 5 theaters is just not enough to get overall reception. I have not heard extraording things from folks who have seen it. They see its decent but not great.

I hope I am proved wrong on this.

I wonder if Interstellar has enough to make it past TMNT and 21JS, they're at $191.2 and $191.7 million and Interstellar has $184.8 million after a $1.15 million weekend. Seems kind of unlikely that it'll churn out $7 million more after that, but it should come close.

Annie is a great film if you want a  joyful film that will have you smiling and whistling a happy tune. Seriously, it's nothing like the alleged POS that critics are saying it is. It's a little crowd pleaser with no pretensions if being high art, but with a lot of heart.

• Like 1