kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

What exactly is achieved by adjusting for ER? The gross it has is its gross, bad ER or not. Want to prove it was actually more popular OS than F7? Guess what, I can guarantee that whatever Star Wars lost in ER it has gained in higher ticket prices(especially if you consider average ticket price OS). So no, not in any way was it bigger OS than F7.

Edited by Dale Cooper

26 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

What exactly is achieved by adjusting for ER? The gross it has is its gross, bad ER or not. Want to prove it was actually more popular OS than F7? Guess what, I can guarantee that whatever Star Wars lost in ER it has gained in higher ticket prices(especially if you consider average ticket price OS). So no, not in any way was it bigger OS than F7.

You can't be serious. ER just from April and May have dropped a lot across the board. Why use dollars for comparison might as well local currency and SW7 would win easily.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, druv10 said:

You can't be serious. ER just from April and May have dropped a lot across the board. Why use dollars for comparison might as well local currency and SW7 would win easily.

Well, its OS gross is still its OS gross. It will probably gross less than F7, it most definetely will sell less tickets OS. What exactly is achieved by adjusting for exchange rates? Yeah, other than making a film who wasn't as popular and didn't gross as much to look more popular.

Edited by Dale Cooper

48 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

TFA beats F7 in local currencies. That much is a fact.

Not TFA's problem F7 couldn't get enough people to see it in IMAX. People wanted to see TFA in IMAX 3D. 

And yes, TFA is more popular than F7 overseas, considering F7 made 30% of its revenue from one market only. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

TFA beats F7 in local currencies. That much is a fact.

Not TFA's problem F7 couldn't get enough people to see it in IMAX. People wanted to see TFA in IMAX 3D. 

And yes, TFA is more popular than F7 overseas, considering F7 made 30% of its revenue from one market only. 

Yeah, sure they did, that doesn't make TFA more popular though. If you actually want to see popularity you need to adjust for ticket price as well. Anyway, what a ridiculous argument. So what it did a whole lot in one country, that country is included in its gross. Fact is that F7 sold more tickets OS hence it was the more popular film.

It beat F7 in some local currencies, lost in a whole lot as well. Gross is counted in dollars, it made less, that's just a fact.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dale Cooper said:

Yeah, sure they did, that doesn't make TFA more popular though. If you actually want to see popularity you need to adjust for ticket price as well. Anyway, what a ridiculous argument. So what it did a whole lot in one country, that country is included in its gross. Fact is that F7 sold more tickets OS hence it was the more popular film.

It beat F7 in some local currencies, lost in a whole lot as well. Gross is counted in dollars, it made less, that's just a fact.

TFA sold more tickets than F7 outside China. F7 crushed TFA in China. That's one territory. TFA crushed F7 in many other territories even with giving F7 imaginary money from 3D it didn't make. F7 without China drops to $770 million. TFA without China drops to $1 billion. 

TFA is more popular around the world.

And without DOM, SW made 1.1B and F7 made 1.16B. The hate that China gets on these boards is ridiculous. We can argue about exchange rates and inflation and market growth all the live long day, but money is money is money, regardless of where it came from. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

And without DOM, SW made 1.1B and F7 made 1.16B. The hate that China gets on these boards is ridiculous. We can argue about exchange rates and inflation and market growth all the live long day, but money is money is money, regardless of where it came from. 

I agree China is just as valid as any OS market, but domestic is unquestionably the most important market for Hollywood films just because the % of gross going back to studios is higher. If I remember correctly China is still at 25% except for special cases (like KFP3), about  only half of the domestic take.

• Like 1

When I posted the OS grosses adjusted by ER I just wanted to put into perspective some things. But it is not a try to see which film is more popular around the world. It is not an adjusted by inflation or admissions list. It is just an unadjusted OS list a bit more fair. Not more. We will probably never know exactly how many admissions have sold each film in each country to know which one was more popular.

Relative to ticket prices, I can say that in Spain for the moment, SW7 has an average ticket price of €6.70 (€31.5m and 4.7 million admissions - Data after January 22-24th weekend).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Gokai Red said:

No one's hating on China. The fact remains that 30% of F7 intl total came from one market, meaning it's not more popular overseas (outside of it) than TFA, especially when TFA has it beaten in local currencies. 

On February 2, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Dale Cooper said:

Because ER is purely a function of the currency you measure in.  It's arbitrary, independent of the movie market, and therefore the easiest thing to adjust for.  

Measure in Canadian dollars and come back to me.  Star Wars has grossed almost $1.275B Canadian domestically. Avatar? Still $760M. 

I don't think that's a very informative comparison of their two runs.  Do you?

• Like 2

On 2/3/2016 at 1:32 PM, TommyA10 said:

No one's hating on China. The fact remains that 30% of F7 intl total came from one market, meaning it's not more popular overseas (outside of it) than TFA, especially when TFA has it beaten in local currencies. 

TFA has done more than 30% of it's O/S from the UK, Germany & France combined. How is that more relevant to worldwide popularity?

TFA did far better in Europe, Japan and Australia and FF7 did far better in Latin America and most of Asia.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

TFA has done more than 30% of it's O/S from the UK, Germany & France combined. How is that more relevant to worldwide popularity?

TFA did far better in Europe, Japan and Australia and FF7 did far better in Latin America and most of Asia.

Each movie has its stronghold market(s), I agree. Worldwide popularity is completely different, though. TFA completely trumps every franchise movie worldwide. (Only franchise movie to break $2 billion WW).