kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS
In its 7th weekend, TFA added $12.6M offshore to bring the cume to $1.088B. The global total is now $1.983B with expectations The Force will be strong enough to reach the $2B mark in the coming weeks, becoming only the 3rd film in history to hit the milestone. The movie began to wind down over the week in China and will wrap in earnest this coming week with Kung Fu Panda 3 now dominating play and the Lunar New Year blackout looming. The Top 5 market breakdowns are thus: UK($176.4M), China ($121.1M), Germany ($106.1M), France ($86.3M) and Japan($83.3M). In the latter, it’s the No. 1 Western title for the 7th consecutive weekend.

Source: Deadline.com

From jc191 on reddit (good summary):

TFA earns an estimated $10.8m in its seventh domestic weekend, down 23.4% from last weekend. It remains behind The Revenant, which made an estimated $12.4m (-22.5%) this weekend, and drops to #3 behind new opener Kung Fu Panda 3, which opened to an estimated $41m this weekend. In total, TFA made around $16.3m for the full week (down 39.2% from the last full week), with a portion of that drop due to the drop from the MLK Monday the previous week.

This week in China, TFA made $7.7m total, with $5.5m (-43.9%) Mon-Thu and a $2.2m (-72.5%) weekend; in full, the week was down 56.7% from the last.

Excluding China, TFA made around $19.4m (down 36.0%) for the entire overseas week, with around $9.6m (down37.3%) for the weekend and $9.8m (down 34.7%) Mon-Thu.

In its entirety, TFA made a total of around $43.4m (-42.1%) worldwide for the full week. Assuming estimates hold, and given that it made $20.8m worldwide during Mon-Thu this week, it'll likely hit $2b worldwide on Friday or Saturday next week. It misses out on beating or equalling Avatar's time: Avatar had made $2b by January 31, 2010, on the 46th day of its release. $900m domestic will be around the same time, on Thursday or Friday. Both may happen a day earlier if actuals go up from estimates.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 2

TFA WKND 1: $281m
TFA MON: $41.7m
TFA TUE: $41.3m
TFA WED: $38.4m
TFA WKND 2: $136.9m (-51%) / $550.3m 
TFA WKND 3: $96.3m (-30%) / $770.5m
TFA WKND 4: $104m (+9%), $52.7m China debut / $921.4m
TFA WKND 5: $47.3m (-55%), ~$20m China 2nd wknd / $1012.6m
TFA WKND 6: $23.3m (-51%), $8m China 3rd wknd / $1060.7m

TFA WKND 7: $12.6m (-46%) / $1087.8m

DH2 WKND 1: $313.5m
DH2 MON: $41m
DH2 TUE: $35m
DH2 WED: $35m
DH2 WKND 2: $120.2m (-62%) / $559m
DH2 WKND 3: $66.4m (-45%) / $690.4m
DH2 WKND 4: $63.1m (-5%), $25.5m China debut / $792.4m
DH2 WKND 5: $29.3m (-54%), $8.1m China 2nd wknd / $858.2m
DH2 WKND 6: $14.3m (-51%) / $900m

DH2 WKND 7: $8.2m (-43%) / $923.4m

• Like 3

^

So DH2 still had about ~$40M in it at this point in its run. If TFA also has that same $40M in, it would finish with ~$1.13B OS gross.

I'm guessing it's gonna be slightly more since at this point DH2 was coming out of a $8.2M week-end while TFA is coming out of a $12.6M week-end.

Nice post!

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Arbitrary number, what you should be looking for is $2.18b.

I'm glad it didn't cross Titanic, but $2 billion is far from an arbitrary number. It's a huge milestone that only 2 other films have ever reached, in the same way that $1 billion used to be an enormous milestone for films to hit. An arbitrary number to me would be something random like $1.87 billion that has no real significance or glory attached with reaching or passing it. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Arbitrary number, what you should be looking for is $2.18b.

Well, it already passed Titanic's original run.  So not sure what point you are trying to make.

And 2 billion is far from an arbitrary number.  It's only been done twice before.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

TFA international share got crushed by the currency wars that have been going on. Yes it's not as popular OS compared to other franchises but the strong dollar & devaluation of the yuan had a huge effect.

It's the highest grossing franchise movie internationally (ever), in local currencies. It's the second highest grossing franchise movie ever internationally in dollars, and that's only due to F7's freaky $385 million in China. (Even with that huge advantage from China, F7 only beat TFA internationally due to even worse exchange rates compared to mid 2015). So I don't know how the highest grossing (franchise) movie is considered to be less popular than other movies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TommyA10 said:

It's the highest grossing franchise movie internationally (ever), in local currencies. It's the second highest grossing franchise movie ever internationally in dollars, and that's only due to F7's freaky $385 million in China. (Even with that huge advantage from China, F7 only beat TFA internationally due to even worse exchange rates compared to mid 2015). So I don't know how the highest grossing (franchise) movie is considered to be less popular than other movies.

I'm strictly talking about domestic share of WW gross especially over the past few years, it's not that hard to understand lol my point was more about the exchange rates if you reread my post. Clearly it's popular.

11 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I'm strictly talking about domestic share of WW gross especially over the past few years, it's not that hard to understand lol my point was more about the exchange rates if you reread my post. Clearly it's popular.

Why does the percentage even matter? If a movie made $5 million WW and had a 95% foreign market share that wouldn't make it bigger overseas than one which made $2bn worldwide with only a 50% foreign market share. TFA only has a 55% share so far because it was such a huge domestic monster. That doesn't change how well it's ranked overseas.

Edited by Dan9
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hw64 said:

What does that mean? You can't add local currencies. This sentence is meaningless.

It's not meaningless. SW7 is the biggest sequel OS in local currency. ER cost it about 100M+ just from FF7 release window.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, druv10 said:

It's not meaningless. SW7 is the biggest sequel OS in local currency. ER cost it about 100M+ just from FF7.

This and F7 will probably beat it by a few million tops. That's with $250 million more from China, so clearly TFA is the most popular franchise movie ever internationally (in most markets).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

Well, it already passed Titanic's original run.  So not sure what point you are trying to make.

And 2 billion is far from an arbitrary number.  It's only been done twice before.

+1

And only the second movie to pass $2B in its first run. :)

Titanic first run total has already been eclipsed.  Titanic rerelease total will be surpassed with a future TFA rerelease.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

This and F7 will probably beat it by a few million tops. That's with $250 million more from China, so clearly TFA is the most popular franchise movie ever internationally (in most markets).

People don't realize how crappy ER is just from FF7 & AoU. SW7 would be around 1.2B+ OS and ER from Avatar's year, we're looking at 1.5B OS. This is one reason why, people need to keep OS predictions in check because ER's getting worse not better. Beware BvS, CA3 or any other big tentpoles in 2016. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dan9 said:

Why does the percentage even matter? If a movie made $5 million WW and had a 95% foreign market share that wouldn't make it bigger overseas than one which made $2bn worldwide with only a 50% foreign market share. TFA only has a 55% share so far because it was such a huge domestic monster. That doesn't change how well it's ranked overseas.

I agree, I never understood the interest in this particular set of percentages, it's all but meaningless, especially when one side of the equation is based on just one (well, two) markets. If that market happens to be an outlier, the split gets skewed quite heavily. Give TFA an domestic intake that is "just" at the level of Avatar, and suddenly you have a completely "normal" split again. The split alone says nothing at all when the money made domestically exceeds every prior movie so drastically.

Reminds me of the times where people were complaining about certain tv-shows being so old-skewing. As if that mattered in any way. If one show gets 20 million viewers of which 5 million are falling into a certain young target group, and the other one has 10 million viewers while also having 5 million young viewers, than it isn't the former that needs to be criticised for "not being young enough", it's the latter for not drawing as many viewers. After all, they both have the same amount of young viewers, the percentage is irrelevant for marketing. If they both reach the same amount of young viewers, but one has significantly more viewers overall, that's the more successful one, not the other way round.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, druv10 said:

People don't realize how crappy ER is just from FF7 & AoU. SW7 would be around 1.2B+ OS and ER from Avatar's year, we're looking at 1.5B OS. This is one reason why, people need to keep OS predictions in check because ER's getting worse not better. Beware BvS, CA3 or any other big tentpoles in 2016. 

Quite close to that. I have done the exercise and with Avatar's ER we would have this ranking for OS figures (not adjusted by inflation, just with ERs):

1. Avatar: 2.027b

2. Titanic: 1.73b

3. Star Wars 7: 1.419b

4. Furious 7: 1.36b

5. Jurassic World: 1.215b

6. Minions: 1.106b

7. Age of Ultron: 1.095b

8. Frozen: 942m

9. Harry Potter 1: 936m

10. Harry Potter 8: 916m

And with today ER:

1. Avatar: 1.579b

2. Titanic: 1.378b

3. Star Wars 7: 1.087b

4. Furious 7: 1.049b

5. Jurassic World: 953m

6. Age of Ultron: 857m

7. Minions: 772m

8. Harry Potter 1: 723m

9. Transformers 4: 707m

10. Harry Potter 8: 706m

*: Frozen: 706m

So yes, the ER factor is a huge problem right now.

As I always say, do not take too seriously these numbers. They are just a indicative figure.

• Like 8