Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

8 hours ago, Treecraft said:

decent movie. I don't think it's philosophically/morally complex but it had my brain working hard, so kept me engaged. very watchable but I'll probably have forgotten it by the end of the week.

Yes, but you remember Warcraft.

• Like 5

If this hack ruins Blade Runner, the Shay will ruin him back. Grrrrrr.

Oh, and, "Denis" - it's time to learn you can actually use artificial lighting when shooting your movies. Maybe you're half blind and hate light - but the rest of us are not moles, we prefer a movie you can actually SEE, not figure out in the murkiness.

Edited by shayhiri

2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Oh, and, "Denis" - it's time to learn you can actually use artificial lighting when shooting your movies. Maybe you're half blind and hate light - but the rest of us are not moles, we prefer a movie you can actually SEE, not figure out in the murkiness.

Yeah, cause original Blade Runner was bright as sunshine, and sequel should be even brighter. 

• Like 1

I finally got to a screening that wasn't sold out last night and Arrival was well worth the wait. Tense, evocative, and smart. Considering the basics of the story, the plausibility factor was high, which is maybe the best compliment you can give to sci-fi of this sort. A really beautiful, self-contained performance from Adams.

There is one element I haven't decided on:

Spoiler

In general, I associate causal loops (or the "ontological paradox") with lazy storytelling. They're pseudo-profound. (Back to the Future is riddled with them so perhaps that's why I associate them with dumbed down plots.)

Most emphatically, Arrival is NOT a lazy movie. So I still haven't entirely reconciled how much I enjoyed the intellectual engagement with my dislike of this one critical element. I think a second viewing is in order.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Guys did you notice this?

ARRIVAL is now the #107 top rated movie on IMDB's top rated 250 movies of all time!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/...ref_=hm_cht_t2

Really?? I'll vote it 1/10 in a second...

Spoiler

@ Tau Ceti: "Time loops" is indeed the laziest and stupidest plot device, which should be insulting for any intelligent viewer. But, as a known fact states, 80% of the general public are just stupid. So they like such movies.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shayhiri said:

when you say 'we' and 'us', it sounds like you're speaking for everyone, not just a minority opinion.

I mean, let's face it, most people don't think Arrival is a 1/10 movie;)

15 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Guys did you notice this?

ARRIVAL is now the #107 top rated movie on IMDB's top rated 250 movies of all time!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/...ref_=hm_cht_t2

If it had Nolan's name on it it would be in the top 20 for sure. (Not saying it deserves it -- haven't seen it, yet... So excited, beyond words)

6 hours ago, Amadeus said:

This has zero chance of hitting 100 now, right? Unless it gets rereleased and humped up with the oscars that is. 

To hit a 100 it needs a multiplier similar to The Martian (4.2). That will be difficult, of course, but the odds are better than "zero chance." If Arrival gets the theatre expansion everyone's talking about and holds onto the them into December then +4 may be in the cards.

30 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

To hit a 100 it needs a multiplier similar to The Martian (4.2). That will be difficult, of course, but the odds are better than "zero chance." If Arrival gets the theatre expansion everyone's talking about and holds onto the them into December then +4 may be in the cards.

It also helps that it will have a good hold on Thanksgiving weekend followed by two dead weekends after it. Of course, it won't get the chance to develop late legs due to the mid-to-late December onslaught.