baumer

The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Grade Shawshank Redemption  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Shawshank Redemption

Yeah this is one of my favorite movies. Everyone was great in it and it is just a good story.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies"

A

• Like 1

Very good film, reminds me strongly of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". The editing and rhythm are perfect - no scene too long, none too short. The violence is more felt than shown, you get a bit claustrophobic when watching this. What I liked most is the focus on time: Men planning years - sometimes many years - ahead, waiting ... patience is a rare theme in today's world with its short attention spans. You might think a film about patient men would be boring, instead this is highly entertaining and full of tension. Recommended!

I've loved this movie ever since I first saw it. I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me about 4 viewings before Morgan Freeman's last line FINALLY clicked with me. "I hope." For some reason I just never caught that Andy had finally restored Red's ability to HOPE. (And all of that even after I knew the story appeared in King's "Different Seasons" under the section called "Hope Springs Eternal")

This film is a modern classic. Why? Because it simply includes everything which builds a great story, and that is all films really are, storytelling.The concept of story telling can very easily be lost and forgotten in an industry that can sell cinema tickets by using special effects and employing world super stars like Tom Cruise. That may well be the easy option, but films that rely on pretty faces and big budgets will never be remembered. It is films like Shawshank that will lodge themselves into people hearts, and will be passed down by many generations.This is because everyone that watches this film becomes a part of it. You are there, in that prison, suffering when Andy does, smiling when Andy does. Tim Robbins plays this part so well it could be classed in one of the best lead parts in a film ever. He is simply superb. Plus, Morgan Freeman, well, would we expect anything less from a man with such talent?It is this relationship, between Andy(Robbins) and Red(Freeman) which really strikes me as a breathe of fresh air, as if i had been hit in the face by a strong wind. We are trapped in a society where relationships only seem meaningful and deep when the two people involved are having sex. Hollywood have molded this preconception that characters with a relationship must sleep together. Shawshank, for once, tells the tale of two men, who by the end of the film have a very strong relationship, but have not gone down the Brokeback mountain road of madness. Their friendship is portrayed free of sex, yet is portrayed so powerfully that you are emotionally taken back by the ending. Personally i nearly cried at a friendship so pure yet so meaningful.The plot is also perfectly timed. I am someone that is usually quite critical if the speed of a film moves too fast or if it drags on. Shawshank gives you a mixture of paces, but also keeps the story turning and turning, as if it has a heart beat, pumping more and more of the story line, unwinding the plot before your open jaw.Finally, i think everyone should see this film. This is a pure, yet thrilling tale of hope, friendship and belief. The story is executed brilliantly, with intense characteriztion from both sides of the spectrum- you become Andy, and go through his struggles with him, and you hate the warden and his captain with a passion.I guarantee, by the time those credits gracefully slide up the screen, you jaw will be open, your mind will be blown, and your heart will be broken into pieces. This is a truly unforgettable masterpiece.10/10

• Like 5

I freaking love this one.. What a wonderfull movie and great acting9,5/10

This .Glad i bought the digibook blu ray of this wonderful movie .Edit: wait a minute ....Baumer's heart was broken by this, Caboose was crying in the end....damn i must be missing something cause i found this to be an extremely uplifting movie . In fact in the end i had a big smile on my face ...WTH ?? Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

This .Glad i bought the digibook blu ray of this wonderful movie .Edit: wait a minute ....Baumer's heart was broken by this, Caboose was crying in the end....damn i must be missing something cause i found this to be an extremely uplifting movie . In fact in the end i had a big smile on my face ...WTH ??

Not sad crying, happy crying. Tears of joy, etc.
  • Like 2