babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

There's an article in Variety that mentioned Peters won't be recognized as a producer on ASIB which is probably why I thought he wouldn't be credited but WB say in the same article that he'll be credited due to his involvement in the 1976 version 

The article seem to clearly imply Warner didn't own the property and Peters getting money (probably first dollar gross):

Warner Bros. released a brief statement Tuesday saying it will have to continue calling Peters a producer:  “Jon Peters’ attachment to this property goes as far back as 1976. Legally, we had to honor the contractual obligation in order to make this film.”

Not sure which part of maybe didn't have to pay for story right much because Peters is getting points does not match with those article.

• Like 1

Saw this tonight.  Deserves to win all da biggies this year.  Should be huge/sleeper.  Probably will be.  Wonder why Warners releasing it so early, before the real awards season? 

Was worried after we heard months of mixed buzz about going back and forth in the cutting room, but man...I f'ing hate Bradley Cooper -- not only can this man ACT, DIRECT, WRITE and PLAY MUSIC, and be impossibly handsome on screen so much I wish I was batting for the other side.  Cooper seriously approaches Jeff Bridges/Crazy Heart territory here...not quite sure it's better than that, but it's pretty damn great. 

GaGa is good, but not extraordinary, but will probably get some award nominations anyway.  Everyone else (including DICE CLAY and CHAPPELLE!) are great here. Sam Elliot has multiple great scenes with Cooper, and one amazing one where I think it might be the best performance he's ever given.  Music is perfect, look is perfect, editing is perfect.  Wish it were three hours long, actually, like the '54 version.  Bet there will be an extended cut for home video.  I'm sure there's more great stuff there. 

And just for context, this is coming from a guy who's not much of a fan of musicals, really.  (Though I did catch up with the 1954 version the night before, still a stunning film.)

Saw it in a Dolby Cinema with the soundtrack blaring.  Go see it on the biggest, best-sounding screen you can, if you're interested.  But prepare yourself emotionally.  It goes deep. Relatively, for a Hollywood film. 

Hilarious that the whole thing is "A JON PETERS PRODUCTION."  (Yes, I know he wasn't really involved.)

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Saw this tonight.  Deserves to win all da biggies this year.  Should be huge/sleeper.  Probably will be.  Wonder why Warners releasing it so early, before the real awards season? 

Early October releases have paid off handsomely in the past for them (The Departed, Argo, Gravity).

15 hours ago, PANDA said:

Is it true this is just apart of the liberal media’s SJW agenda?

Alright, what the actual hell. I seriously hope you’re trolling man

Maybe it’s just that I noticed them as I got older, but people try to turn every goddamn movie into some political agenda. Like, shut the fuck up about politics alright? This wasn’t happening in 2013, the only thing that bugged people was that superman killed Zod. Bring me back to those days where not everyone is trashing every movie for being a SJW or alt-right agenda movie I’m so fucking sick of it

6 hours ago, The Futurist said:

french critics are harder to please in general, but i am always skeptical of rave reviews, especially for a remake. we've seen it all. some critics act as they've never seen a movie in their life...they are so enthusiastic with their reviews and their praise. meh

Edited by Alli

Just bought two of the last good seats that were available for 3:40 on Saturday which has now at 131 seats sold out of 226 (the biggest non-PLF auditorium). 7:00 on Friday and Saturday are nearly sold out in the same auditorium and most of the other shows during the prime times (it's getting 4 screens here) are filling up fast. Gonna be a monster here.

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Alright, what the actual hell. I seriously hope you’re trolling man

Maybe it’s just that I noticed them as I got older, but people try to turn every goddamn movie into some political agenda. Like, shut the fuck up about politics alright? This wasn’t happening in 2013, the only thing that bugged people was that superman killed Zod. Bring me back to those days where not everyone is trashing every movie for being a SJW or alt-right agenda movie I’m so fucking sick of it

You really think Panda would unironically complain an SJW agenda?

• Disbelief 1