babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

If it gets Awards and it looks like it will at least get noms then it could do La La Land numbers O/S: $250m+

A bit different the possible effect of awards on the box office I think.

It will start wide unlike La la land and deploy before the awards season start everywhere I think, La la land was a limited December release that rolled out until end of february.

Star is Born roll-out end in October (with the exception of Japan).

Award buzz can have some actual award effect equivalent I imagine and actual award can give a little very late legs help but not that much.

• Like 1

Gaga and Cooper and oscars and the main song possibly becoming a legit hit on its own will help a lot, but it's not doing LLL and Showman numbers overseas, anything above 100m OS would be huge for a Star is Born. It's about Country music after all. 

This movie has a better shot at 250m DOM than it does OS.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

OS performance will depend on how country music is important, or not, in the film.

Cooper in the film is a country guy and Gaga, what, a folk, Tori Amos type ?

She’s definitely more Folk. He discovers her performing in a drag bar, after all.

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Gaga and Cooper and oscars and the main song possibly becoming a legit hit on its own will help a lot, but it's not doing LLL and Showman numbers overseas, anything above 100m OS would be huge for a Star is Born. It's about Country music after all. 

This movie has a better shot at 250m DOM than it does OS.

For an early October wide release ?

Oscar nomination will be 22 January 2019, only poland/japan open after October 26, it will be a hole 3 month deep. Do we have any precedent or an early release that start wide and roll-out everywhere in october helped by the Oscar.

Dominating the Globe is more likely to be one, them being much sooner.

I think 100m is huge but a possible target. Like SLP did (changing NFL football for country/folk music) .

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

For an early October wide release ?

Oscar nomination will be 22 January 2019, only poland/japan open after October 26, it will be a hole 3 month deep. Do we have any precedent or an early release that start wide and roll-out everywhere in october helped by the Oscar.

Dominating the Globe is more likely to be one, them being much sooner.

I think 100m is huge but a possible target. Like SLP did (changing NFL football for country/folk music) .

I guess you can call it early critical-press-online buzz that leads to eventual oscar buzz when they have already made most of their money. 

14 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I guess you can call it early critical-press-online buzz that leads to eventual oscar buzz when they have already made most of their money. 

I guess, that the Oscar buzz has a lot of the value of the final actual win (outside for the very small title that the Oscar buzz awareness do not reach worldwide audience like a Moonlight for which the actual win was the actual push).

Most of the box office value is in the Globe historically.