babz06

A Star is Born | 5th October, 2018 | Warner Bros | Bradley Cooper directing, Lady Gaga cast as lead.

So judging by tracking, which is low balling the film like it did CRA and The Meg, A Star is Born should open with 35-40mil. Maybe 45mil if all goes right. Dramas don't need to open with 50-60mil because they aren't frontloaded comic book movies. Venom will open huge but will die if it's as awful as it looks.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

19 hours ago, lilmac said:

Won’t matter. It’ll make enough here to get close to break even or a small profit. 

Considering the low budget rumors, should be in profits from that domestic alone.

Example of domestic revenues for some performance:

Box office / movie / domestic revenues

191.72m / 22 jump street / 201.96m

138.45m / 21 Jump Street / 184.722m

133.67m / Grown up 2 / 162.903m

107.1m / Captain Philips / 150.05m

And that is not considering how much DBO can help and make for nice International TV contract deal.

If the budget is 30m and get a 45m domestic release, it can work from domestic alone with a good profit margin no problem.

I also see domestic heavy but I can see like @TombRaider, still a 40+% intl happening it got good reception in international festival at least, has some star wattage to at least get distributed a bit everywhere. A la SLP/American Hustle that had Football or American in the title. In this case the studio (WB) is distributing it worldwide instead of being acquisitions also to help.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

Considering the low budget rumors, should be in profits from that domestic alone.

Example of domestic revenues for some performance:

Box office / movie / domestic revenues

191.72m / 22 jump street / 201.96m

138.45m / 21 Jump Street / 184.722m

133.67m / Grown up 2 / 162.903m

107.1m / Captain Philips / 150.05m

And that is not considering how much DBO can help and make for nice International TV contract deal.

If the budget is 30m and get a 45m domestic release, it can work from domestic alone with a good profit margin no problem.

I also see domestic heavy but I can see like @TombRaider, still a 40+% intl happening it got good reception in international festival at least, has some star wattage to at least get distributed a bit everywhere. A la SLP/American Hustle that had Football or American in the title. In this case the studio (WB) is distributing it worldwide instead of being acquisitions also to help.

Thanks as always. My response was more as a reaction to his phrasing which suggested that ‘bombing hard in OS’ was a bad thing. Perfectly ok to have a film just do well in its domestic market, as long as it churns a profit. 

In my opinion it simply depends on the whole soundtrack and if it has some surefire hits. 

GaGa is too much of a pro to let this flop. She will market the hell out of this and "The Greatest Showman" showed us what legs a musical can have it the soundtrack is uber successful. 

So I say "The Greatest Showman" is the goal for this.