kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

On 5/28/2018 at 3:46 PM, DMan7 said:

This could be huge, first black led animated movie is it? Can we see a repeat of BP in animated form here?

source.gif

Anyway,

Screenshot-at-May-30-18-16-22.png?w=1026

Kinda weird the next trailer's only 90 seconds, but I appreciate the film not revealing a whole lot.

• Like 3

Interesting that they are going the "Alternate Universe" route with this.

IMHO that's a better idea then killing off Peter Parker the way they did in Ultimate Spidey.

Still skeptical about how well thid does at the box office though. Not sure an animated Spidey film can do anywhere near what a live action Spidey can do.

On 5/28/2018 at 1:22 PM, MrGlass2 said:

One thing going for this movie: it can't be worse than Spider-Man: Homecoming.

WARNING: Huge dumb rant about how I watched Homecoming a few weeks ago and how dull and mediocre I thought it was.

I can hardly remember TASM at all, didn't bother with TASM2 but I can't imagine this was any better (and Spider-Man 3 is not a good movie, but at least it's a ridiculous mess made by a director with some panache). First off with the way people online endlessly shit on the CGI in Black Panther, I don't know how this movie got a pass. I don't remember anyone shitting on the CGI in Homecoming and I thought it was worse. The CGI work on the suit was so cheap and fake looking and that last set piece with the plane? Awful awful awful. All the action scenes were just BOOORING (Spider-Man's big conflict? Climbing a tall building, WOW) and fake looking. The movie as a whole looks like a Disney Channel movie with more money. The "John Hughes" high school element they kept trying to promote the film with early was sooo surface-level, basically the influence was it was (partly) set in a high school and had a few 80's pop tunes played in the background, that's it. All the students besides Ned got a big fat shrug fro me. Halfway through it seemed like the whole movie became about the suit and all the cool stuff it could do which did nothing for me, it seemed like more of a kid becoming Iron Man than Spider-Man. Then at the end it just becomes the Tony Stark and Pepper movie for no reason. Whatever, I guess that's for people who get a hard-on anytime an MCU movie reminds of the marketing ploy connected universe. They only give Michael Keaton one good scene and he can't even say "Don't ever fuck with me" which is clearly what the line should be but he has to say something stupid like "Don't ever interfere with my business." Even the lead up to the confrontation in the car where Toombs is starting to put it together, it's supposed to feel like this really tense, suspense building moment but I was so bored by everything before it that it didn't work at all for me. More than any of that though I realized about a third of the way through that I found Tom Holland's performance kinda whiny and annoying and it was really turning me off the movie. Which thinking about it so were the other actors to play Peter Parker, that might just be part of his character in general but whatever, whiny is whiny. It's funny because I enjoyed him in Civil War and Infinity War, maybe he's just better as part of the Avengers without the corny high school drama shit, idk. Really the only thing that worked for me was Ned who got a few good lines. That's it.

So yeah, I really didn't like Spider-Man: Homecoming at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2

On 5/31/2018 at 2:00 PM, dudalb said:

Interesting that they are going the "Alternate Universe" route with this.

IMHO that's a better idea then killing off Peter Parker the way they did in Ultimate Spidey.

Still skeptical about how well thid does at the box office though. Not sure an animated Spidey film can do anywhere near what a live action Spidey can do.

I'd argue Spiderman is the most inherently young kid appealing superhero of all. Kid merch for Spiderman has always been huge. So I'd think the potential for big numbers for a Spiderman film all kids can actually see would certainly be there. The problem being that this holiday is the worst ever for overstuffed family fare. This one is in between Ralph and Poppins, likely the two biggest family films of the season, so that dampens its box office potential quite a lot. 

• Like 1