Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

it's still an exciting number, just not for this franchise. These numbers for any other movie and this would be a madhouse.

What do you mean it's not an exciting number for this franchise? It blew away the next biggest MCU preview number by almost 50%. Knowing how backloaded this franchise is, I find the number to be very exciting. There isn't any other franchise where you would think a $27.6m preview is going to lead to $220m opening, so that is pretty cool IMHO.

• Like 3

I see 3 sellouts in Regal Union Sq, 3 more in Regal E-Walk and few other. There are enormous number of shows ahead in most markets. But we need big matinee for it to break record.

Yesterday it played from 7PM onwards and grossed 27.5m. How much bigger would be evening today. How big the morning/matinees will be. I am sensing sub 60m(minus previews) even with enormous number of shows.

When Walt Disney reports that Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron earned $27.6 million on its advance-night Thursday showings in 2D, 3D, and IMAX 3D, it means that, under normal circumstances, we’re looking at what amounts to 9-12% of its opening weekend. So just running those numbers, we’re looking at a debut weekend of $230m-$306m. So does that mean we’re looking at the first $300m debut weekend?  Well I would presume not, but that certainly would snap me out of my relative box office doldrums. But first some box office history for those who came in late.

:unsure: 

NOT A RECORD

BTW in case anyone was interested in the numbers/stats for boxofficemojo.com

HERE YOU GO. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/boxofficemojo.com

What sites are related to boxofficemojo.com?
icon-section-help.png
Related Links   1.  boxofficeguru.com   2.  the-numbers.com   3.  boxofficereport.com   4.  showbizdata.com

5.  superherohype.com

Proof that boxofficemojo is mostly used for super hero flame wars.

What do you mean it's not an exciting number for this franchise? It blew away the next biggest MCU preview number by almost 50%. Knowing how backloaded this franchise is, I find the number to be very exciting. There isn't any other franchise where you would think a $27.6m preview is going to lead to $220m opening, so that is pretty cool IMHO.

It's exactly what he said, the total feels underwhelming for this specific franchise. It's not that complicated honestly, 48% bump is alright.

Gitesh on CNBC right now, highly positive on the $27.6m. Says $100m OD is still in play, what is he smoking?

He's not smoking anything. $100m opening day is very much in play. The first one made $62.1m in regular Friday business. This was with theaters caught completely off guard. They simply did not have enough shows to satisfy demand. This time around there will be a lot more shows and far fewer people will be turned away due to sellouts. $72.4m in Friday business is not out of the question at all.

So did Rth really just come into the thread, hint at a number then leave without saying anything else? lol harsh

Yup, pretty much. Though we could just be reading too much into it and there really might have not been a hint at all.

Rth, I believe,  in the past has stated that he isn't allowed to predict preview numbers before the official numbers come out but if he's around preview night/early morning it sometimes it pays off to watch what he doesn't say.

Or he's just screwing with us.

He's not smoking anything. $100m opening day is very much in play. The first one made $62.1m in regular Friday business. This was with theaters caught completely off guard. They simply did not have enough shows to satisfy demand. This time around there will be a lot more shows and far fewer people will be turned away due to sellouts. $72.4m in Friday business is not out of the question at all.

Midnights on a second entry take away more of the saturation, do not ignore the facts. Especially in a franchise like this where there is so much pent up demand off a good first entry.

Great number. As usual, there's some calling it a disappointment when in all likelihood it's still gonna end up in the expected 210-220m range anyway. Funny how such a big number doesn't feel that exciting anymore.

Because there's no shock value to expectations.

Under 200? Over 225

Then everyone goes ape****. :)

Midnights on a second entry take away more of the saturation, do not ignore the facts. Especially in a franchise like this where there is so much pent up demand off a good first entry.

I'm not ignoring the facts. The facts are the first movie made $310m just from its first two weekends and a ton of people were turned away from shows during those two weekends. The WOM on it was phenomenal and there will be a shitload of people showing up today to see the sequel.

Just like with Iron Man 3 or Captain America 2?