Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

• Community Manager

Thank you. Now how do you feel about TF:AoE's domestic run? Wasn't it disappointing? So Ultron should be viewed the same way.

Actually it did better than I was expecting!

With 10 shows left, could Sunday possibly increase over Saturday? That'd be crazy... and also ease fans' worries. 

In San Antonio and possibly L.A., yep. In other markets, I wouldn't think so. Even with markets like San Antonio and L.A. completely tanking on Saturday night, the national number for Saturday was still 0.5% bigger than Friday. Rallax's theater dropped by almost 10% in comparison, so it's an outlier. I'm hoping it can hit $50m for today. That would be awesome.

If they don't then Samuel L. Jackson still has a lot of movies left on his contract.

Good point. the whole contract thing is super confusing to me lol

Personally, I am a bit of a Marvel movie fan, and I was always more excited about Civil War than AOU, especially when I learned that AOU's big baddie was going to be a fucking

robot. That didn't excite me in the slightest. Maybe the movie should have been more direct that Thanos was the one that created Ultron to get rid of the Avengers. There were subtle hints about it, but guess what, I'm not one for subtlety or the use of metaphors in movies.

Wait what? I didn't catch anything implying Thanos created Ultron to get rid of the Avengers

It still bothers me that this movie had 7pm Thursday showings. IMO this film made $160m OW....Thursday should not be included. None of the other films this weekend attached their Thursday gross to this weekend. Silly studios trying to fool people into thinking their films opened bigger than they actually did. I miss the days when films were released at 12:00AM Friday.

No, just their opening weekend :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wait what? I didn't catch anything implying Thanos created Ultron to get rid of the Avengers

Ultron was created with Loki's scepter, it is possible Thanos put something there before Loki attacked Earth to made the creation of Ultron possible. Also, at the end Thanos says "I will have to do it myself", implying he in some capacity created Ultron to destroy the Avengers.

Sunday is looking much better than yesterday with the sell outs. Hopefully, the 20% drop estimate for Sunday will hold. But there is a big difference in sell outs at the theaters I checked.  I can't wait until we get the numbers tomorrow. Or later tonight if rth decides to check in.

• Like 1

In San Antonio and possibly L.A., yep. In other markets, I wouldn't think so. Even with markets like San Antonio and L.A. completely tanking on Saturday night, the national number for Saturday was still 0.5% bigger than Friday. Rallax's theater dropped by almost 10% in comparison, so it's an outlier. I'm hoping it can hit $50m for today. That would be awesome.

Rth's projection yesterday afternoon was 63-67M (let's split the difference and say 65M), of course we have seen that Friday night business was lower than expected, so it could have come in lower, but let's go with 65. So the impact of the fight could have been 8M. Now if it had got 65M and fell 30% on Sunday, it would be 44M. Disney is expecting 45.5M on Sunday with a lower drop. It could possibly exceed that and hit 50M, definite possibility.

Sunday is looking much better than yesterday with the sell outs. Hopefully, the 20% drop estimate for Sunday will hold. But there is a big difference in sell outs at the theaters I checked.  I can't wait until we get the numbers tomorrow. Or later tonight if rth decides to check in.

If he does. Rth sure took a big hit today and yesterday. He does us a huge favor and treated like that its just so sad.

• Like 2

If he does. Rth sure took a big hit today and yesterday. He does us a huge favor and treated like that its just so sad.

tumblr_mjo48x1cfh1rojq9mo3_250.gif

I have NEVER heard you say something is sad! OMG

Everyone took a hit. Disney went on record with $200-210 million OW after early Friday numbers and this may actually cost them at the stock markets. The fight was a one-off event that was very difficult to model. Nobody thought that a PPV fight will impact box office to such an extent. I mean, a female-skewing movie like Age Of Adaline only increased 10% on Saturday. Its just nuts.

• Like 1

still rings true just not in the order that I thought...

mediocre reviews and the fact that this isn't new anymore 'hurt' it.

Reviews don't affect sequels to movies audiences loved, at least not opening weekend. If they did, then DMC and RotF (which got far worse reviews) wouldn't have done what they did domestically. Anyone who claims the reviews prevented AOU beating the original's OW is mistaken.

Edited by Darth Homer
  • Like 2

Well for that stupid thinking alone Disney deserves to continue its trend and not winning the domestic box office year. The fight was clearly a bigger event than Ultron.

VII is Disney's so either way they win.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.