kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

On 7/7/2021 at 9:05 PM, Jackstraw said:

i hope WB brings back thursday showings for this, want to see this asap, i don't understand why they haven't been doing any?? Disney has no qualms about them with their premiere access titles, having showtimes in theatres a few hours before going live on D+. 

I got my wish, thursday evening shows confirmed 😃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

7pm Thursday shows

WB is creeping back to theatrical only.  I would expect them to announce that in 2022 it will be back to normal, possibly at Cinemacon.  

How is early reaction for this one? I assume being directed by James Gunn, it will not have horrible reviews.

53 minutes ago, excel1 said:

This only a month away, marketing needs to step up...a lot.

I agree. I honestly forgot Suicide Squad was coming out next month until I saw the poster in the theater while waiting fo get into "Black Widow". I can see wanting to wait until the marketing push for BW is over, but WB had better start the marketing maching rolling within a week or so.

Thought I was the only one who noticed how weirdly quiet the hype and advertising was for this. In 2016, the first Suicide Squad was EVERYWHERE. The merch was already selling, the soundtrack was everywhere, there were ads up the wazoo, it was constantly on social media...and now with this new movie I haven't seen barely a peep over the past couple months.

I know that the first movie hurt the brand's reputation and the pandemic complicates a lot of issues with marketing, but it still seems like the marketing is nonexistent here.

• Like 1

The marketing for this has been really awful. I get the feeling that they´re hiding the movie, to make the whole things be a surprise.

If you see the 3 trailers they released, it´s almost identical on structure, they recap different moments of the same scenes, didn´t show any big action moment... Even the plot it´s still unclear from what they show us.

I bet it will be nice to see a movie without knowing everything that we´re gonna see, but when studios want to market a movie this way, they must be creative and it´s lacking creativity on the campaign.

Could surprise with the world of mouth tho, test screening for this was extremelly well received.

Edited by ThomasNicole

2 minutes ago, Eric Belov said:

Thought I was the only one who noticed how weirdly quiet the hype and advertising was for this. In 2016, the first Suicide Squad was EVERYWHERE. The merch was already selling, the soundtrack was everywhere, there were ads up the wazoo, it was constantly on social media...and now with this new movie I haven't seen barely a peep over the past couple months.

I know that the first movie hurt the brand's reputation and the pandemic complicates a lot of issues with marketing, but it still seems like the marketing is nonexistent here.

This is exactly what I was thinking for a while. I assume a part of it has to do with WB spending like half of their usual marketing budgets on their 2021 films (GvK only cost $70 mil). Just gives me Birds of Prey vibes here though.

Maybe they think the Suicide Squad name will sell itself? Idk.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's coming out at the end of July in the UK and they've started advertising it. I assume WB's energy at the moment is with Space Jam and they'll ramp things up once that is released. 

Problem is there might not be time enough to ramp it up for SS.

They  might be releasing Space Jam and SS just too close together.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

This is exactly what I was thinking for a while. I assume a part of it has to do with WB spending like half of their usual marketing budgets on their 2021 films (GvK only cost $70 mil). Just gives me Birds of Prey vibes here though.

Maybe they think the Suicide Squad name will sell itself? Idk.

ANYbody in marketing who thinks that should be fired.

Problem is, people are not even aware SS is coming out in Augest. I try to keep abreast of movies, and I had forgotting it's opoening in August until I saw the poster for it at the theater where I saw Black Widow (my first theatericasl movie since the Covid hit) last night

WB marketing has been really lackluster with the arrival of MAX, I've noticed. Kong sold itself so notwithstanding and they really went out of their way with In the Heights to disappointing results but Malignant still lacks a trailer and Space Jam/Conjuring didn't pick up the marketing blitz until the week of release. 

They put out 3 trailers, had TV spots on the nba finals and euro matches last week and are doing YouTube ads. They’re definitely spending but I’m sure it’s not as much as normal. 

I think the biggest issue for this movie is how bad the first one was and that this is releasing on Max. I’m not saying there’s big hype for this as I don’t think there is but the circumstances for this are different imo.

As I said in the weekend thread I wouldn’t be surprised by BOP numbers WW for this. I just hope it’s good and they can try and build off that. They don’t have the trust with the GA marvel has obviously. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I can tell you anecdotally that WB marketing isn't exactly trying hard when it comes to pushing the day and date HBOMax releases as their marketing people are beyond pissed that AT&T did this to them.  

Makes sense, sucks for the box office but I guess AT&T fucked that up for this whole year. I hate how AT&T handled WB. I want to hope things will be better with the discovery merger but who knows.