#ED

Weekend Official Estimates: SA 53.2m, PP 14.4m, TL 13.8m, MMFR 13.6m, AOU 10.9m, Aloha 10m

SA proves there is always an market for big, dumb movies. When big, loud, effects driven movies do reasonably well at the box office I tend to see it as meh. But it was well positioned and heavily marketed. 

Cameron Crowe has had an underwhelming career. Realistically his only hit was Jerry Maguire. Almost Famous is nostalgia for rock music nostalgia.

Edited by straggler

3.4 Million for Aloha? Yikes. Crowe might be toast.

The TV spots for Aloha look absoutely abysmal, and the reviews refect that. It's hard to imagine that even diehard fans of the director or the stars being excited about the movie.

This thread is dead as downtown Detroit. Man whats with this forum? Every summer no matter the weekend, these threads were crawling with people, it was summer.

Now a late May thread cant even get 13 pages before 10 eastern. It like not as many overall people log on anymore. It doesnt feel as "crowded." Am I alone on this feeling? Just saying, we're about to have a $40M+ opener and its a snoozer in here. Didnt feel this way a couple summers ago.

Is it the lack of superheroes? Oof...

This thread is more on topic than some of the longer threads. The longer the thread, the less off topic.

Hypable.comEarlier today, Hypable published a review of Aloha with parts plagiarized from BirthMoviesDeath.com. We've removed the review, the editor has stepped down, and we apologize to BMD and the original author Devin Faraci for the wrongdoing.  :ph34r:

Why would anyone plagarize that charlatan?

Tonight was a little slower at our theatre, especially for a Friday. San Andreas opened about 11% lower than MM on opening day (only one third of pitch perfect, but that's the type of movie that EVERYONE sees opening day). Mad Max has held on well, and has doubled what we thought it would do over the past few weeks, and while it won't quite catch Avengers ticket sales, it's been a really impressive performer.

Biggest opening week of the year still belongs to Furious 7 though.

SA proves there is always an market for big, dumb movies. When big, loud, effects driven movies do reasonably well at the box office I tend to see it as meh. But it was well positioned and heavily marketed. 

Cameron Crowe has had an underwhelming career. Realistically his only hit was Jerry Maguire. Almost Famous is nostalgia for rock music nostalgia.

Umm, Vanilla Sky.

• Like 1

FURY ROAD was never going to catch TA2 ticket sales... A Family friendly movie VS A hardcore R-Rated movie...

We didn't expect it to, were told "expect Hot Pursuit numbers for this."

The word-of-mouth in our town has been phenomenal, I've talked to a lot of people while ushering, and they've all said "heard from a friend it was amazing so decided to check it out."

But the fact that I'm even mentioning it in the same conversation as Age of Ultron is outstanding on its part.

Edited by DAJK

Umm, Vanilla Sky.

it did well as it was at peak of Cruise career. But the budget was not low and it was not received well critically. I would not call a 70m film grossing 200m as uber successful. Jerry Maguire was a huge critical and financial hit.

But i understand why you pushed Vanilla sky for sure. :P

• Like 1