grim22

The Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

4 hours ago, aabattery said:

Fingers crossed TOG doesn't stan for it so the rest of us can enjoy it.

I’m going into this as blind as possible though.  I will avoid every single trailer and run out of the theater whenever a trailer for this is playing.  I want my Meg experience to be as enjoyable as possible without any potential spoilers

• Like 1

I saw this last summer at a test screening and it was fucking awesome. Might be my favorite shark movie since Jaws. I gotta say that I don’t feel like this trailer accurately represented the tone of the film. It’s definifely not Sharkado with a 150 million dollar budget. It’s more Deep Blue Sea than Sharkado. 

Edited by stay-cool
  • Like 7
  • Astonished 6
  • ...wtf 1

4 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Nah this is looking goofy just on the surface (pun not intended) , the goofiness is just there to appeal to the widest audience.

You can see there's moments of tension building up in those underwater scenes and when trademark stoic Statham is fighting the shark. 

This is cut like Skull Island trailer to make it seem filled with levity(intentional or unintentional) but they aren't messing around with underwater creature scenes.

Also you can catch a tiny bit of additional footage in the international trailer (it's short and present itself more as a serious monster movie). Imo most of this uncanny goof factor is coming from some of the human cast half of which are gonna get devoured.

This trailer looks way better. It seems more serious but still having a lot of quips and some fun with the concept.

I might watch it, the concept is too good to pass up, specially if the ending of the book is kept!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One, and single issue of this trailer: this should be absolutely fun (on the hight level) and at the same time fun (on the hight level).

But this is trailer looks... ok and it doesn't work.

--------------------------------------

Guys who cries about vfx in every fucking trailer: do you ever get tired?

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Haha 1

Oooh. Lol.

Em, changing my predictions to Snakes on a Plane numbers. The internet might have a fun time with it and think it’s self referential. But general audiences will think it looks ridiculous.

$15m/$35m. 

Plus there’s major shark sizing problems. In relation to the things surrounding it at different times in the trailer it looks at least 6 different sizes lol

Just now, Krissykins said:

Oooh. Lol.

Em, changing my predictions to Snakes on a Plane numbers. The internet might have a fun time with it and think it’s self referential. But general audiences will think it looks ridiculous.

$15m/$35m. 

Plus there’s major shark sizing problems. In relation to the things surrounding it at different times in the trailer it looks at least 6 different sizes lol

You say problem, I say MULTIPLE SHARKS.

Honestly i watched the trailer like 10 times now. Im addicted.

It really reminds me of Deep Blue Sea, which i love despite (or because of) its flaws. Day 1 for me. Might be my 2nd most anticipated summer movie now only behind JW2.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, stay-cool said:

I saw this last summer at a test screening and it was fucking awesome. Might be my favorite shark movie since Jaws. I gotta say that I don’t feel like this trailer accurately represented the tone of the film. It’s definifely not Sharkado with a 150 million dollar budget. It’s more Deep Blue Sea than Sharkado. 

SEE!!  That's what I'm feeling too.  I don't see how this can be as campy as the trailer and poster is suggesting.  

5 hours ago, Arlborn said:

This trailer looks way better. It seems more serious but still having a lot of quips and some fun with the concept.

I might watch it, the concept is too good to pass up, specially if the ending of the book is kept!

That's a way way better trailer.

10 hours ago, Poseidon said:

It's a horrible trailer for such a movie. 

It takes itself way too serious and has literally no fun written above it. 

It's like they tried to be Jurassic Park with a budget of $20m.

I once thought this could be a guilty pleasure surprise, but when a trailer for Sharknado 3 looks like more fun, you have a serious problem...

Oh, and are the $150m Budget-Rumors really true? I have a hard time believing it. The visuals do certainly not look like a $150m budget.

The trailer literally has a dog going "aw hell naw" when it sees the shark. Only the international trailer is serious.

I’m still totally seeing this.

I am hoping for Piranha 3D level entertaining though, without the gore I suppose.

Although that’s fine cause I’m assuming with the size of this shark it wouldn’t really be biting arms and legs off, it’ll just be inhaling swimmers whole haha

• Like 1

OK, better trailer for sure.  God Lord at that monster, lol.  So Basically Jaws on Steroids.  "Deep Blue Sea" basically did this kind of concept 20 years ago and did pretty well at the box office.  It did about 75 Domestic and over 160 WW.  My point?  Don't count out "The Meg" as it's opening in the same summer spot basically in a pretty dry August outside "MI:6" still making money.  Jason has his fans even if he isn't the biggest solo draw.  Also this could do very well internationally.  DBS will be my comparison for sure.  

Edited by filmscholar