Asyulus

Weekend Actuals | Spy 29.09M, SA 25.84M, Ins3 22.69M, Ent 10.28M, MM 7.83M, PP2 7.57M, TL 7.2M, AoU 6.34M

I wouldn't say Annabelle was a "break-out" but rater it rose off the success of Conjuring. Plus, insidious had its "break-out" moment already with Chapter 2.

Oh, I know the Insidious franchise already had a break out, but I'm talking about a break out to horror movies this year!

Most of the horror movies are opening in the range $15m-$20m lately, I wonder when we will get a horror movie opening with $30m+ again. :thinking:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-spy-outpacing-entourage-800188

Melissa McCarthy's latest comedy Spy nabbed $12 million-plus on Friday and is heading toward a $30 million to $35 million debut, topping other new entrants this weekend. 

Horror sequel Insidious: Chapter 3 followed with a $10 million-plus Friday, pacing for a $20 million to $25 million three-day take. 

Meanwhile, Entourage grossed another $3.5 million to $4 million on Friday. The Warner Bros. film adaptation of the HBO comedy could see a gross in the mid-teens to $20 million for a five day take. 

Holdover San Andreas, the Warner Bros. earthquake disaster film starring Dwayne Johnson, could gross $25 million to $27 million in its second weekend. 

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/box-office-melissa-mccarthy-spy-35-million-opening-1201513364/

Melissa McCarthy is back on top at the box office. 20th Century Fox’s new comedy “Spy” is headed for a $35 million opening weekend at 3,711 locations, according to early estimates.

Friday forecasts pegged “Spy” at $12 million for its first day, which would put it in line with recent forecasts. Reviews have been stellar with a 94% “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Early numbers looked solid for Gramercy’s debut of “Insidious: Chapter 3,” which is on target to scare up a respectable $10 million on Friday for a weekend in the $21 million to $24 million range. The horror vehicle, produced by Jason Blum’s micro-budget leader Blumhouse along with Oren Peli and James Wan, is playing at 3,002 locations.

"Insidious: Chapter 3” will be battling Warner Bros.’ second weekend of Dwayne Johnson’s “San Andreas” for second place. “San Andreas” finished its first week with a solid $77.6 million in the U.S. It will reel in about $7 million on Friday for a $25 million weekend.

Warner Bros.’ “Entourage” got an early start on the weekend, grossing $7.4 million at 3,058 sites on Wednesday and Thursday — with more than 70% of that on its opening day.

Early afternoon estimates placed the big-screen version of the HBO series with about $5 million on Friday. It’s expected to take in another $13 million this weekend.

• Like 3

Oh, I know the Insidious franchise already had a break out, but I'm talking about a break out to horror movies this year!

Most of the horror movies are opening in the range $15m-$20m lately, I wonder when we will get a horror movie opening with $30m+ again. :thinking:

The Conjuring 2 is nearly a lock to do it, but I don't know what other horror movies are coming out before it that have a chance.

• Like 2

Great numbers all around, but I would be shocked to see SA hit 12M. That would be insane. It's enjoying great increases in China though...

Conjuring 2.