#ED

Monday Actuals: Minions 12.9M (-58%)

Yea, the fastest movie to reach $600M but still cannot reach $700M

And Titanic's the slowest movie to reach $600m but cannot reach $700m and Avatar's the fastest movie to reach $700m but still cannot reach $800m, ....so your point is??? :mellow:

Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 11

Why did you link me to his profile? You made a thread because he had a guess at a few figures so there must be a reason for it. Where does he get the numbers from?

You will learn son, never to question rth. Everything the light touches is his kingdom.

:P

And?

I can't believe I have to use this analogy again on this forum, but slighting JW for not out grossing Titanic or Avatar would be like condescending towards Bruce Springsteen's 15x Platinum 'Born In The USA' just because MJ's 'Thriller' went 29x Platinum.

Edited by PDC1987
  • Like 9

And?

I can't believe I have to use this analogy again on this forum, but slighting JW for not out grossing Titanic or Avatar would be like condescending towards Bruce Springsteen's 15x Platinum 'Born In The USA' just because MJ's 'Thriller' went 29x Platinum.

baby one more time is 14x platinum though tbh!!

And Titanic's the slowest movie to reach $600m but cannot reach $700m and Avatar's the fastest movie to reach $700m but still cannot reach $800m, ....so your point is??? :mellow:

You already know that Avatar is the only $700m movie right?

Thats why its fastest but it still took long for it to hit $700m.

I don't think that's a particularly good or bad number for Minions. DM/DM2 held better. IO dropped a little better and I remember when we were worried about that. We'll see what the week brings-- it could recover the same way.

Edited by Gopher

I don't think that's a particularly good or bad number for Minions. DM/DM2 held better. We'll see what the week brings.

Thoughts on the upcoming weekend, Gopher? How do you expect Ant-Man and Trainwreck to perform? And, which holdover do you think the new openers will impact most?

I think Jeremyjahns exlpained the WoM of Minions perfectly, he said he didn't like it that much, he had a couple of laughs but the childeren were loving it.. So it's a perfect kids movie, and the kids want to see parents will follow :)

I think a better answer would be "yeah but Avatar is still gonna keep the record of fastest to 700m." :P

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

Just my thoughts on a couple of the topics in this thread.

Honestly I think its 50/50 that SW7 get to $650M.

i think that team has done just about everything right to this point - it's simply a matter of delivering a good movie.

They absolutely killed it at Comic Con last weekend based on the reports from there. They have definately gone out of their way to try to tie it more to the originals than the prequels. Making sure you saw they filmed on location rather than green screen, used puppets and actors for most creatures rather than CGI, etc.

Having both the original characters in a supporting role as well as a sequel story rather than a prequel story i think helps and could easily add 10-15% to the gross.

Kasdan was quoted last weekend saying it would be an economical movie, not a bloated one, so i'm thinking a 2 hr to 2 hr 10 min run time which will allow them to squeeze more showings.

My son and i will definately be seeing that one, though I will likely wait at least 2-3 weeks to let the crowds die down some -i'm not one of the fanboys that needs to see it opening night.

Also, latest tracking from July 3 had Ant-Man at around $65M this weekend (up from earlier projections of 50-55M). We'll have to see if it can get there.

one last thought on kiddie movies (since I have kids) - the first showing of the movie is on the kid - parents will take them almost no matter what - but to get return visits it has to be good enough for the parent to be willing to go back. We've seen IO twice because everyone wanted to see it again. Saw Minions this weekend, really youth oriented, I didn't really care for it much - even with Sandy who i tend to love in everything felt sort of miscast. I don't plan on seeing that one again. For me personally it was the weakest movie i've seen this year - lower on my list than Tomorrowland - which had been my lowest to this point. There is a point that parents will say that's enough let's find something else. But based on opening week I would think Minions goes to $350M +-10M.

• Like 1