grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

One of Excaliburs flauts is that it does get rushed toward the end;but it just about the only Arthur film that actually follows  Thomas Malory's "Morte D Arthur"(the 15th century work that is the main source of the Arthurain Legend) pretty close.

A film trilogyof Morte D[Aethur  would work; The Rise Of Arthur, Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table at their height, and the Fall of Arthur.

And of course we cannot omit "Monty Python And The Holy Grail". Yeah,it plays it for laughs, bur that the Pythons were extremely familiar with the Arthurian legends  is clear (you need to be really familiar with something to be so funny poking fun at it)mand the look of the film is amazing,and would not be surprised if Boorman saw Holy Grail and went "What if somebody made a serious version of Atrhur with those visuals".....

Yeah one of the Pythons was an Arthurian scholar in college, which is why Monty Python and The Holy Grail is actually pretty mythologically accurate with lots of jokes being about the myths themselves.

Honestly, maybe those who think this won’t get good reviews could stop being so negative about this movie in its thread. There’s people who are genuinely excited for this and speaking from experience, it’s not really fun to enter a thread about a movie I’m looking forward to and seeing 90% of the posts being about how horrible the movie looks. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Honestly, maybe those who think this won’t get good reviews could stop being so negative about this movie in its thread. There’s people who are genuinely excited for this and speaking from experience, it’s not really fun to enter a thread about a movie I’m looking forward to and seeing 90% of the posts being about how horrible the movie looks. 

Nova and Memorial Weekend releases that get unfairly trashed before release is an actual thing, haha. I hear you, homie.

• Haha 1

This should have no problem clearing $100M+ over the 4-day next weekend given that the marketplace is fairly open for a surprise (Pikachu didn't break out and John Wick doesn't have much in the way of overlap with this). Who knows, maybe it can go even higher than $120M though I wouldn't bank on that at the moment.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This should have no problem clearing $100M+ over the 4-day next weekend given that the marketplace is fairly open for a surprise (Pikachu didn't break out and John Wick doesn't have much in the way of overlap with this). Who knows, maybe it can go even higher than $120M though I wouldn't bank on that at the moment.

The presales aren't consistently strong enough for that. Highest I could see is 90 million four day and that's a big if.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One of Excaliburs flauts is that it does get rushed toward the end;but it just about the only Arthur film that actually follows  Thomas Malory's "Morte D Arthur"(the 15th century work that is the main source of the Arthurain Legend) pretty close.

A film trilogyof Morte D[Aethur  would work; The Rise Of Arthur, Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table at their height, and the Fall of Arthur.

And of course we cannot omit "Monty Python And The Holy Grail". Yeah,it plays it for laughs, bur that the Pythons were extremely familiar with the Arthurian legends  is clear (you need to be really familiar with something to be so funny poking fun at it)mand the look of the film is amazing,and would not be surprised if Boorman saw Holy Grail and went "What if somebody made a serious version of Atrhur with those visuals".....

He took a lot of it from his previous work on his aborted LOTR adaptation.

http://thenewbev.com/blog/2017/10/excalibur/

Boorman has said that Excalibur was a film years in the making and, after the director had finished Leo the Last (1970), United Artists passed on his treatment for a script about Merlin, offering him Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings instead – a property that UA had recently acquired. In Boorman’s autobiography, Adventures of a Suburban Boy, he describes the task of adapting the sheer volume of pages in Tolkien’s Rings saga as “daunting,” and with the architect turned screenwriter/collaborator from New York – Rospo Pallenberg – the two men worked out of Boorman’s house in Ireland – where Rospo “pasted every page of Lord of the Rings on to four walls in a room in my house.” The two men immersed themselves into the world of Middle-Earth, making maps and exploring special effects that would be necessary to shoot the project as a live action film – something that Tolkien had hoped would become of his work. Six months later with a script in hand, United Artists had fallen on financial hard times and the project was dead. Years later, Boorman and Rospo were able to use their research and energy invested in Rings on Excalibur – even using locations they had previously scouted for Rings in Ireland.

• Knock It Off 1

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

i think $ 90 - 100M is pretty in line with the presales at moment

Anything over $ 90M is good, because this basically locks the $ 200M milestone.

The review embargo can be strange

However, Dumbo, Captain Marvel and Avengers all had their reviews pop up 2-3 days before release as well. Could just be a pattern for Disney this year. Disney doesn't tend to be the studio that hides a bad movie from the public like Sony or Lionsgate.

Heck, Warner's doing the same with Godzilla, its review embargo stops on the 28th I believe.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

37 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And had a strange review embargo if it was good.

Christopher Robin embargo lifts on the day of the release and the movie have +70% on RT

The late embargo definitely shows the movie can be bad, but not necessarily 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Sad to say this but I hope it at least makes Solo numbers. This is after thinking it would easily make $300-$350 million a couple of months ago. 

Solo seems to be at the low end.

MU seems to be the high end.

Besides it’ll make a killing OS. Some of you (but definitely not the same as others) had hoped to high. Between this, TS4 and Endgame, Disney was always going to this one the short end of the stick. They should’ve waited until 2020 or honestly September imho.

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Solo seems to be at the low end.

MU seems to be the high end.

Besides it’ll make a killing OS. Some of you (but definitely not the same as others) had hoped to high. Between this, TS4 and Endgame, Disney was always going to this one the short end of the stick. They should’ve waited until 2020 or honestly September imho.

Absolutely!

Disney isn't dumb though. I have to think there's a specific reason they crammed all they could into 2019 - especially with regards to the live action fairy tales - and that reason is likely content for Disney+. Otherwise, what incentive did they really have to saturate the market? It's not like they were going to be hurting for revenue anyway.

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Absolutely!

Disney isn't dumb though. I have to think there's a specific reason they crammed all they could into 2019 - especially with regards to the live action fairy tales - and that reason is likely content for Disney+. Otherwise, what incentive did they really have to saturate the market? It's not like they were going to be hurting for revenue anyway.

That’s obviously why but imho, Aladdin wasn’t going to be the one fatal mechanism for success.

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

That’s obviously why but imho, Aladdin wasn’t going to be the one fatal mechanism for success.

Good point. Maybe it's not about Aladdin specifically though. Maybe it's just the sheer number they have to/want to hit for content.

I don't know. Maybe it is just stupidity on their part, or naivete, thinking audiences would gobble up as many fairy tales as they could shoot out.